Tip/hint of the day

tooln

5 year old buck +
If you bought a new gas can lately you know the venting on them sucks. Here's a slick trick. Get a valve stem, remove the core and install it in your can. Works slicker than greased pig snot.

20140425_171216.jpg

Brilliant!!!

haha! LMFBO....i was just cursing the 2 cycle mix jug today as it was giving me all sorts of fits, gurgles, burps, and hiccups

That is the best idea! I hate the new cans, what kind of a moron designed these new cans? I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

Genius!

haha! LMFBO....i was just cursing the 2 cycle mix jug today as it was giving me all sorts of fits, gurgles, burps, and hiccups
Try this fix and you'll never curse again.

That is pretty slick, I usually just drill a hole slightly smaller than a bolt I have laying around in the 3/8ths range, self tap it in there. works pretty good and is big enough to spot should I drop it in the grass. With the air valve at least in a pinch to seal it you could snag one off a tire, and replace when back to the store.

I added one of these to my diesel can...much faster to pour the five gallons into the tank now. I used a coat hanger to fish the valve stem into place.

There are a couple of how to videos on YouTube.

I tied a string on mine. Dropped the string through the small hole and fished it out the big one, tie the stem to it and pull it into place.

What a frigin great idea!

Million dollar idea!

Nice. I got 6 cans to do it to when i get back up to the digs.

Excellent idea - doing that for sure! I also hate the new cans

I think the sentence is 25 to life for what I would do to the idiot that designed these new cans. That moron should have to work on one of my lawn maint. trucks for a year. Bet he would come up with something not a complete pos next time.

That is brilliant! I wish I would have thought of that. I have been frequenting garage sales picking up the "old style" gas jugs that actually worked. I will try this next.

I have another handy thing I use that may be of interest to folks. Most of us use ratchet straps for one use or another an if youre at all like me I have literally dozens of them. I got sick and tired of them always beig in a huge tangled mess. Sooooo. I took a 5 gallon bucket and turned it into an organizer. I took the largest diameter hook from a ratchet strap and used it to size my drillbit. I wanted the hole I was going to make to be slightly larger than the diameter of the hook. Along the top rim of the bucket I drilled a sereies of holes all the way around. I place the "straps" tailend into the bucket and then run the hook thru the hole. I then run the "ratchet" end hook thru the hole and let it hang outside the bucket. This keeps everyting in one place, easy to transport and most importantly nothing gets tangled. I will see if I cant find a pic.

I have another handy thing I use that may be of interest to folks. Most of us use ratchet straps for one use or another an if youre at all like me I have literally dozens of them. I got sick and tired of them always beig in a huge tangled mess. Sooooo. I took a 5 gallon bucket and turned it into an organizer. I took the largest diameter hook from a ratchet strap and used it to size my drillbit. I wanted the hole I was going to make to be slightly larger than the diameter of the hook. Along the top rim of the bucket I drilled a sereies of holes all the way around. I place the "straps" tailend into the bucket and then run the hook thru the hole. I then run the "ratchet" end hook thru the hole and let it hang outside the bucket. This keeps everyting in one place, easy to transport and most importantly nothing gets tangled. I will see if I cant find a pic.[/QUOTE

Would love to see a picture. Im still trying to come up with a way to ID my different length straps for certain jobs with out dumping the hole bucket.

GREAT IDEA! I got the valve stems laying on my workbench......I hope I remember to do this when my cans are empty. Easier that way. ;)

Old news man. :)

I learned about that one a couple years ago, but it's certainly worth doing!

Old news man. :)

I learned about that one a couple years ago, but it's certainly worth doing!
I read about this long ago.....and got the valve stems.....but, I never remember to do this when the cans are EMPTY. Memory...it's a terrible thing to lose. ;)