Timing for switchgrass and herbicide

KDdid...please keep us posted this spring as well on your spot. Frost seeded a section myself yesterday and cannot wait to experience failure most likely LOL!

KDdid...please keep us posted this spring as well on your spot. Frost seeded a section myself yesterday and cannot wait to experience failure most likely LOL!

Will do. I’ve been in it a lot recently, overseeding some skips in last years planting, and stretching the border another 50 feet or so. I’m using less seed this year, I’d like a lot of openings for the seed bank to add forbs. I’m seeing a lot of tracks in it, and have great hopes that I can get some does to fawn in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
3e097458f000a72c32a4ce017e24e5e7.jpg

I thought that I would snap a picture from roughly the same spot to show a comparison to last falls growth. I have some switch grass now over 6 feet tall, with a good mix of forbs and grass. Compared to last year, I am seeing a lot more deer using this patch, and I’ve cut some lanes across the field, which will be used as fire breaks in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. Even the clover looks good..

What strain of switchgrass did you plant? Cave in Rock? I’d like to do a 30 yard wide strip along the road. Also a 1 acre spot at the back side of my field near my stand.

Looks good. Even the clover looks good..

Plenty of rain will do that for you. We’ve been blessed to only have one 11 day stretch without rainfall, mostly it’s been once a week.

What strain of switchgrass did you plant? Cave in Rock? I’d like to do a 30 yard wide strip along the road. Also a 1 acre spot at the back side of my field near my stand.

There is a local company that does habitat restoration, and they have been growing local cultivars of native remnant prairie plants for years. They don’t have a named cultivar per se, but it’s extremely well adapted for my area. I did seed some Cave-In-Rock this spring, frost seeding it into gaps in the original planting, especially along the perimeter of the plot.