Timing for switchgrass and herbicide

I sprayed marestail in mine but I think alot of them were too tall.I am going to mow as high as I can wait a couple days and spray again

I missed this. Mowing is probably best with marestail, it dies hard. At least mowing will keep it from going to seed if you stay on it. The spray may help stunt it.

Thanks for the reply. And yep... Sorry... meant to say i CAN'T really see any switch. Its all broadleaf but is pretty thin. Most of what came up after spraying the gly is Milkweed! I almost hate to mow that. No foxtail, no thistle. So thats good.

Im starting to wonder if the thatch from my dead brome was too thick that just very little is growing through?? Im not sure but im still confident that being patient will be the best solution here??

Thanks for the reply. And yep... Sorry... meant to say i CAN'T really see any switch. Its all broadleaf but is pretty thin. Most of what came up after spraying the gly is Milkweed! I almost hate to mow that. No foxtail, no thistle. So thats good.

Im starting to wonder if the thatch from my dead brome was too thick that just very little is growing through?? Im not sure but im still confident that being patient will be the best solution here??

I sound like the eternal optimist but I wouldn't think the thatch was to thick everywhere.

If it's just milkweed and its thin treat the butterflys.

I sprayed marestail in mine but I think alot of them were too tall.I am going to mow as high as I can wait a couple days and spray again

I missed this. Mowing is probably best with marestail, it dies hard. At least mowing will keep it from going to seed if you stay on it. The spray may help stunt it.

Came across this link on marestail ...

http://www.agriculture.com/content/how-to-control-marestail

One issue with NWSG and marestail is that it usually grows in the thinner areas of growth.I am thinking about fertilizing some of mine.i am thinking of fertilizing with nitrogen and maybe some potash with my sandier soil.Has anyone fertilized their NWSG

One issue with NWSG and marestail is that it usually grows in the thinner areas of growth.I am thinking about fertilizing some of mine.i am thinking of fertilizing with nitrogen and maybe some potash with my sandier soil.Has anyone fertilized their NWSG

No never have. I would think the weeds would benefit as much as the grass. Particularly in the first year.

On the question above I always kept my new plantings mowed to about 12 inches the first year and it always seemed to not show until the hottest part of summer.The exception to this was if it was frost seeded then it would show up in spring.That is why I broadcast before a snow now and leave it

Hey guys, things are starting to thicken up in my switch plantings. Im afraid much of the broadleaf coming up in Wild Parsnip... Is now a good time to spray 24D or can that stress the Switch?? Leave it till next spring? Im happy to see a variety of stuff growing... but not that!

It won't bother switch.

143cd7da03978d9fcb1ccc48b85dc8b0.jpg

9bf45522cefc34f0f4a69429942c35bb.jpg

4d9005a104a94144720de962b63c72e6.jpg

So after fighting weather, the co-op's schedule, and the rapidly growing weed base, I finally got the switch sprayed three weeks ago. The first change I noticed was the view from the house improving as the tops of the weeds started to shrivel and fall over. Walking about I can see that the switch that's receiving more sunlight has started to produce a few seed heads, and they're about up to my navel. I'm starting to feel better about the results of this experiment. I have lots of gaps in the planting due to a couple of good rains that happened in the midst of my frost seeding work, and not having any snow cover to help me see where I'd been. I'm actually OK with that, as it will provide places for native forbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
257103638bcff1d9de15e1c0f2809b1e.jpg

Here's a pretty typical clump- when I look closely I can tell that all this growth is the main stem and tillers from a single plant. I can't wait to see this a few years from now.

Good to see KDdid! Mine is weedier yet but I have not sprayed. Im also happy to see a few "clumps" starting!

There's a clump of switchgrass that I drive by daily along the highway. In 2 years it has gone from a 10" diameter clump to over 24" or so, and gained height from two feet to about 5. Grow baby!

e0ba0d355d39495e199df6c91f1608cf.jpg

Just had to add this photo- the switchgrass stand butts up to some frost seeded Ladino clover, and I had the clover mowed last weekend. Yesterday I was spreading some chicory and PTT over the clover, and had an audience. This fawn apparently likes the switch right behind it. It's about 2' tall now. Thanks, Bill.

It's about 2' tall now. Thanks, Bill.

That's a lot of switch for year one. I'd consider it a success. If your spray guy can get some atrazine on it early next spring you'll thin out some of that broadleaf. I doubt you really need it though.

Yeah, I'm tempted to save my 500$ and let the switch shade out the broadleaf weeds, but I'd really like to get the stand in high gear. There are areas with more dense marestail and giant ragweed where the grass is stunted, or thinner that would really benefit from the spraying. I may divide the field in half and steal less money from Momma's vacation fund!

One more pic of my switchgrass stand. I'm grateful for all the advice both here and on Lick Creeks corner.
9c97b4705f4ed99b1ce0882e145123cf.jpg

This photo is looking back towards the barn from a few hundred yards to the north.

Wow that look very nice! Well done!

Thanks! If that stuff puts on another foot or two of height next year, it will do all I could ask it to.