Timing for switchgrass and herbicide

Other question on switch made me think of this thread.

How's the grass looking?

Mine is very sparse at best but im hoping its just starting to show. We have some extreme heat coming now. I will try and get some pics to show for some insight. Some areas have an abundance of broadleaf weeds but ive been waiting until later in June to spray or mow.

Much of the grass I do see Im guessing is cool season grasses and not the switch?

Thats where im at... just watching and waiting at this point. Pretty new to this and not 100% on what I should be seeing...

Mine is very sparse at best but im hoping its just starting to show. We have some extreme heat coming now. I will try and get some pics to show for some insight. Some areas have an abundance of broadleaf weeds but ive been waiting until later in June to spray or mow.

Much of the grass I do see Im guessing is cool season grasses and not the switch?

Thats where im at... just watching and waiting at this point. Pretty new to this and not 100% on what I should be seeing...

Here in N central mo it was cold when we had moisture. Now it's hot and dry. Still plenty of time. I don't think mowing the broadleaf would hurt if the grass is low and sparce. But it might be a dusty thankless job. First year is always the worst.

Just to give guys some hope. I planted 10 acres that turned out to be a failure in my mind. The first year you couldn't buy any switch grass. The second year by fall there was a star switch seed head maybe in every 40 yard block. I called it a failure. Just for giggles in the spring of year 3 I hit the field with gly and atrazine. This is what I got. Should have sprayed the second spring but it worked out.

image.jpeg

I've got 50 plus acres in switch now and never had a failed plot. Yet I thought every one was in year one and two.

That's reassuring, Bill. I've been walking mine and seeing lots of seedlings, but all around 2-3", and sparse in areas, heavier in others. Most seems to be at the 3-5 leaf stage. Hoping for some rain to get them going, knowing that will make the broadleaves pop also. Quick question- is there a real advantage to mowing before putting on 2 4D? I've got a few areas getting thick with giant ragweed.

Any difference in atrazine and simazine?

What did you use for your miscanthus?

bill

Any difference in atrazine and simazine?

What did you use for your miscanthus?

bill

Not that wikipedia is always correct but if you look each up there the chemical make ups are very similar. Not exact but close. The big differance for us is that atrazine is restricted to licensed sprayers and simazine is not. Except for California where WD40 is probably restricted :) I used atrazine on my MG because my neighbor had some and is licensed and was willing to help me out. Otherwise I would have used simazine.

Credit to Paul Knox for teaching us about simazine use in MG and switch.

Here in N central mo it was cold when we had moisture. Now it's hot and dry. Still plenty of time. I don't think mowing the broadleaf would hurt if the grass is low and sparce. But it might be a dusty thankless job. First year is always the worst.

Same in MN, Wet and Cold and now Dry and Hot. Finally rain in the forecast for tomorrow!! Everything needs it!

Oh im not panicking yet! Ive got nothing but time so i hope things take off later. I had planted a 5 acre patch of native grasses 2 years ago and nothing... then it late July it all shot up to about 6' and has been great ever since! I know it can change fast! But keep the words of encouragement coming, they are always welcome!!!

Question for ya Bill- I'm feeling confident about the seedlings being big enough to tolerate the 2-4d. Since this thread was last visited, my weeds have shot up to 3-4 feet tall. Should I try to get them mowed before I have the spray rig in? I've noticed when hand spraying 2-4d the tops of the weeds die quickly, but it sometimes takes weeks before the weeds completely die back. What kind of concentration should i shoot for per acre?

I sprayed marestail in mine but I think alot of them were too tall.I am going to mow as high as I can wait a couple days and spray again

Question for ya Bill- I'm feeling confident about the seedlings being big enough to tolerate the 2-4d. Since this thread was last visited, my weeds have shot up to 3-4 feet tall. Should I try to get them mowed before I have the spray rig in? I've noticed when hand spraying 2-4d the tops of the weeds die quickly, but it sometimes takes weeks before the weeds completely die back. What kind of concentration should i shoot for per acre?

I wouldn't mow first unless the boom is bending weeds over. The more surface area for it to stick to the better. Not sure which brand 2,4-D you have but I would go on the higher side of what it says for corn. Probably 2 pints per acre and personally I'm never afraid to go a bit hotter.

Extra thought, even if I did have to mow I'd spray, wait a week, mow and maybe spray again in another week.

Since I'm currently without any equipment, I have to hire anything done. The farm supply has a highboy sprayer, so weed height shouldn't be an issue. I was quoted $15 per acre to have it mowed, and I'd rather save the coin if unnecessary.

Since I'm currently without any equipment, I have to hire anything done. The farm supply has a highboy sprayer, so weed height shouldn't be an issue. I was quoted $15 per acre to have it mowed, and I'd rather save the coin if unnecessary.

Tell them to spray a bit hot and don't look back.

If you have lots of noticeable switch the first year your doing good.

I can see much switch in my spots yet as far as I can tell. The weeds are getting up probably 2- 2 1/2' high but really arent that thick to where they are shading out. I have not sprayed or mowed yet and was kind of thinking id just wait and see as things maybe thicken up... any harm in that? Or should I do one or the other?

Can or can't ?
Either way if the weeds are not that thick I wouldn't worry. Especially if the weeds are broadleaf. Heavy grass like foxtail might worry me. But not broadleaf.

Sorry for double post. After thought. If the weeds are not that thick just now them before they go to seed.

Can or can't ?
Either way if the weeds are not that thick I wouldn't worry. Especially if the weeds are broadleaf. Heavy grass like foxtail might worry me. But not broadleaf.

Bill ... How would you deal with foxtail?

Bill ... How would you deal with foxtail?

Foxtail is the worst, I hate the stuff.

I've never used it and No credit to me for this info. This is straight from Paul Knox (Lickcreek)

Paramount will seriously stunt or kill foxtail in switchgrass. Active ingredient quinclorac.

Generic brand can be purchased from keystone pest solutions under the name quinclorac select
https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...id=205&zenid=6f7661b506da49fbbcd5cdb1135d8ad2