Thoughts on culling bucks with poor genetic potential.

I think it’s not the age of the hunter, but the preferential treatment the hunt includes.

I think it’s not the age of the hunter, but the preferential treatment the hunt includes.
Yep, the fight is usually over it being just another season, usually earlier in the season than the others, and often where daddy sets the kid up on the neighborhood monster buck when he's on a predictable pattern. I'll admit I've seen plenty of pics where the kids look stupidly young. My first born was ready to hunt by age 10 (nearly 11), but my second born is not yet ready at age 10. My 9 yr old daughter will most likely be ready before he is.

Got it. Thanks.

So the youth hunts have extended seasons? Extended bag limits? No APR's? Doe or a buck? Things like that?

Back to the original topic. Who’s going to shoot these so called cull bucks especially if you’re in a 1 buck state? Most guys are going to pass them so they don’t burn their tag on a perceived lesser buck.

Our grand daughter account for by far the majority of our deer - big deer or does. I like the youth hunts, what I dont like - is some feel once they take their kid on a youth hunt there is no need to take them during regular season.

I do think our youth of today, in my area, are deer hunting spoiled. One of my grand daughters, by the time she was ten, had killed two bigger bucks than I had killed at that time. Our deer are now more plentiful and bigger by a long shot - than ever. I didnt kill a 2.5 yr old buck until I was in my early 30’s.

Got it. Thanks.

So the youth hunts have extended seasons? Extended bag limits? No APR's? Doe or a buck? Things like that?
Our youth hunts have their own weekend and no aprs like the rest of the state. In fact, youth dont have to abide by apr’s at any time. State bag limit remains the same.

I think you na
Back to the original topic. Who’s going to shoot these so called cull bucks especially if you’re in a 1 buck state? Most guys are going to pass them so they don’t burn their tag on a perceived lesser buck

I think you nailed it. That’s why people want to believe some how over time a Dink will morph into a Dandy,

I think you na

I think you nailed it. That’s why people want to believe some how over time a Dink will morph into a Dandy,

I think we are misplacing how beneficial it is to have older age class bucks on the property no matter what their rack looks like. To me ANY deer harvested at 5+ years old is a trophy.

Haha. I was 11 when my dad walked me thru a dark woods I didn't know well and scooted me up a wooden ladder onto a bare tree limb. I sat there til I froze and then he came and got me. Looking back at the stuff we used to do makes me think my parents didn't really like me! Right or wrong I've decided to make things just a tad easier on my kids. No doubt their stories someday will resonate just the same.
That's how I learned as well at 12. Climb up this treestand in the dark. My dad and my uncle said we'll be back for you at 10 am. I shot my first deer, a doe, at 12 by myself with a bow.

Back to the original topic. Who’s going to shoot these so called cull bucks especially if you’re in a 1 buck state? Most guys are going to pass them so they don’t burn their tag on a perceived lesser buck.
I'll answer that with the original topic derail... how about the youth hunters in youth season? Seems like an opportunity there.

Not only do you get the "perceived lesser buck", but also a bunch of venison that, minus the tenderloins, needs to be ground into sausage. Which is sometimes entirely desired. The does usually taste better, but I've eaten a few 10 yr old does that were a little tough!

My take and I believe the take of people who study deer for a living. Erase the thought of manipulating genetics out of your mind forever! We aren’t touching the genetic blueprint one iota giving our limited knowledge and their unlimited range. There’s literally no telling what that buck will turn into. There’s sooo many more things to worry about.
Now if you need to remove a deer from the landscape because of lack of food I guess we can play that game but man I just feel like it’s too risky to start messing with.
This - It is virtually impossible to influence the genetics in a wild, free ranging deer here. As others have mentioned, you really have no idea what that buck will develop into until at least age 3 or more likely 4. If he still looks like that when he is a 4 year old, go ahead an whack him....but it still isn't going to influence the genetics.

That's exactly the problem we've run into when too many people get caught up in scores. I wanna kill a big scoring deer. But, in lieu of that, I'll try to kill the old deer. We never have a problem finding someone who'd kill a 5 year old tank. Our version of that problem is when the 3 year old is shot that scores more than the 5 year old. Hunt for age. Not antler size primarily.

Haha. Man you guys and your big buck problems. I'm 99% sure I've never seen a 5 year old even on a trail cam pic let alone live. This comes from total jealousy. I'm happy if I have a decent 3 year old around.

Dinks are delicious,

TOADS come from good bucks getting older.

Dinks may make something decent at best.

3 buck state here.

Haha. Man you guys and your big buck problems. I'm 99% sure I've never seen a 5 year old even on a trail cam pic let alone live. This comes from total jealousy. I'm happy if I have a decent 3 year old around.
You’re not alone!

Just remember when you shoot a 2 or 3 year old your never gonna witness the magic of a 5 year old or older encounter. Its worth every second.

Just remember when you shoot a 2 or 3 year old your never gonna witness the magic of a 5 year old or older encounter. Its worth every second.
False statement. Just because you shoot a 3 yr old buck does not mean you are never gonna witness the magic of a 5 year old or older encounter. A lot of us have more than one 3 yr old on the property - and a few of us have more than one 5 yr old on the property

False statement. Just because you shoot a 3 yr old buck does not mean you are never gonna witness the magic of a 5 year old or older encounter. A lot of us have more than one 3 yr old on the property - and a few of us have more than one 5 yr old on the property

I thought it was rather obvious that what was meant was if you shoot a 3 year old buck that same buck will never be a 4 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk