Things I See While Driving

There are so many types. That's what has me scratching my head.

Sent from my mobile land management office.

Appears to be a Kafir variety. From what I could find, most U.S. strains come from Kafir or Milo sorghums. Milo varieties seem to have the lighter seed heads.

It looks exactly like the milo we've planted at camp before. I think they refer to the shorter varieties as " dwarf sorghum " or gamebird milo. It sure attracts doves, grouse, and all sorts of small birds. We have no pheasants around my camp - wrong habitat.

It was about waist high at most. I read in one place that WGF will shatter and drop it's seed to the ground at some point. Doesn't do anyone with snow any good if that's the case.

There ain't much room left on the ground out here and I bet we're not half done.
de0eefe3c50bdb0b508820960ad2aa66.jpg

Sent from my mobile land management office.

Is that a pile of beans?

That one is corn. I've seen more beans on the ground this year than I ever have. There is a large grain storage facility along I-29 in Worthing, SD and they filled one of their two large ground storage spaces with beans. Never seen that before either.

Noticed a tree along the road across from my land still has lots hanging. Good thing the county road crews seem to leave this one alone. They spray the crap out of most everything else too close to the road but not this tree. I don't think our really warm Fall has anything to do with this one hanging so late. I have about a dozen or so other wild trees close by and they are mostly bare like normal. My most productive tree still has a couple dozen hanging and should last thru gun season but nothing like this one

DSC01888 (Medium).JPG

Noticed a tree along the road across from my land still has lots hanging. Good thing the county road crews seem to leave this one alone. They spray the crap out of most everything else too close to the road but not this tree. I don't think our really warm Fall has anything to do with this one hanging so late. I have about a dozen or so other wild trees close by and they are mostly bare like normal. My most productive tree still has a couple dozen hanging and should last thru gun season but nothing like this one

View attachment 8036
Get scion!

There is nothing like those wild trees.

Get scion!

There is nothing like those wild trees.

I planted about 15 various apple trees 7 years ago. After the deer nearly killed them the voles did kill them.

I swore off wasting my $

Except this one tree has me wondering.

Not wild and I wasn't driving its in my backyard. No clue what it is.

It was here when I bought the place. I only ever trim it back from the gutter, no spray no nothing.

It produces a ridiculous amount of Apples year after year. Best part is they start falling in mid October and their still falling today.

Bad part is it's not located where it needs to be.

How long before a grafted branch actually starts to produce?

f68a1cce5abbd2b444bfbf597debf8ce.jpg

d36188cf9397a0d2252d2b85425ec8ab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I planted about 15 various apple trees 7 years ago. After the deer nearly killed them the voles did kill them.

I swore off wasting my $

Except this one tree has me wondering.

Not wild and I wasn't driving its in my backyard. No clue what it is.

It was here when I bought the place. I only ever trim it back from the gutter, no spray no nothing.

It produces a ridiculous amount of Apples year after year. Best part is they start falling in mid October and their still falling today.

Bad part is it's not located where it needs to be.

How long before a grafted branch actually starts to produce?

f68a1cce5abbd2b444bfbf597debf8ce.jpg

d36188cf9397a0d2252d2b85425ec8ab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From 3-7 years depending on root stock choice. Looks like it could use some thinning, but if its meeting your goals now then no need to bother.