Things I See While Driving

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Now that we got this neat tapatalk tool, I can post up those extra pics of interesting things I come across while out in farm country. Came across this loaded tree on a farm yard in NW Iowa.

0a4b1a785427cc1ae77855d71f88dabf.jpg

Sent from my mobile land management office.

Cool Picture, thanks for sharing!

These farm yard trees always amaze me on how much fruit they put on with no care what so ever.

Now that we got this neat tapatalk tool, I can post up those extra pics of interesting things I come across while out in farm country. Came across this loaded tree on a farm yard in NW Iowa.

In Sioux or Lyon counties at all? My in-laws have farms by Rock Valley, Inwood and George. If they had river bottom ground I would be applying for tags in Iowa, but their fields are all road to road.

Now that is what an apple tree should look like!!

In Sioux or Lyon counties at all? My in-laws have farms by Rock Valley, Inwood and George. If they had river bottom ground I would be applying for tags in Iowa, but their fields are all road to road.
I cover Lyon, Sioux, Plymouth, and Woodbury county that side of the river. I cover the border counties of the SD side too. Yeah, once you get to about Inwood and east, there's not much left for hunting opportunities. Around the Big Sioux on the Iowa side, there is a lot of high quality ground. Rumor has it that Al Linder has hunting ground in Lyon county along the Big Sioux.

You should sign up to do the roadside counts for the DNR

i find myself driving and looking at apple trees/grape vines/any sort of fruit or loaded oak. i make notes on a notepad of house numbers and streets so that if im ever in the area i can remember and stop out if the people are outside. some of the best ways to find neat stuff is garage sales. i look at the yard/trees and determine if im going to stop, even if the stuff for sale isnt exciting. i have a guy where i can get a bunch of grape vines for cuttings by stopping at a garage sale. we talked about grape vine maintenance and growing cuttings and he offered me all the vine i could use if i helped him prune and showed him how to start his own cuttings. its a great way to meet people!

I put a pin in my GPS for this one today. There were a few on the ground already, but I pulled on another one and it was attached pretty well yet. If they're hanging after 11/15, I'll be sure to stop back.

38432d15e8ce40f4769e153e0bd3ee8e.jpg

I have seen two trees in the last week dropping golf ball sized apples. Havent had a chance to scope them out up close yet. I am always on the lookout!:)

there is a tree, in waupaca, wi, on hwy 54 just west of the intersection on highway 10, north side of the road, that holds tennis ball sized apples into march. its ridiculous. ill try to post a pic of a map, i couldnt believe how long they hung. ive always meant to stop by and talk to them, but they are never outside and there is never a car in the driveway.
Untitled_zpsa9l5xcwg.png

The farm i used to live on had a giant old apple tree in the yard....it used to be LOADED every other year or so. There were several people that had permission from my cousin who owned the farm to pick apples for making pies etc. Some years 5 or 6 different people would come a couple times each to pick apples and there were still a ton left on that tree!

I drive all day and my head is on a swivel looking for apple trees. I see apple trees all day and most of them have golf ball size apples. I just dream about what my orchard might look like some day. If I ever get into grafting I will need room for another 200 trees. I will have to start taking pictures.

I drive all day and my head is on a swivel looking for apple trees. I see apple trees all day and most of them have golf ball size apples. I just dream about what my orchard might look like some day. If I ever get into grafting I will need room for another 200 trees. I will have to start taking pictures.
Absolutely. I hope others will put up pictures in this thread as well.

Cool Picture, thanks for sharing!

These farm yard trees always amaze me on how much fruit they put on with no care what so ever.

Sometimes no other pollinator in sight also, lol, crazy!

Drove through Centerville, SD today. First time I'd been there. Some places still get it.

dfc9a998a25aa2723301bd23cc3d2d9b.jpg

Found this incredibly tall pear tree yesterday while running my setter pup in a creek bottom. It had to have been 60 feet tall with the first pears at 25 feet. If I hadn't noticed the bark I would have never noticed it was a pear tree.
The tree.
Piney%20Creek%20Bennett%20Run%20042_zpsqh0btnbg.jpg

Piney%20Creek%20Bennett%20Run%20040_zpsur5gj33p.jpg

The fruit.
Piney%20Creek%20Bennett%20Run%20041_zpsbuj7zd3u.jpg

Piney%20Creek%20Bennett%20Run%20039_zpsz8tr0rsv.jpg

Saw one other pear this tall, but couldn't see any fruit on it. With the completion from surrounding trees it had to grow that tall to survive. Makes me what to plant more pears :).

Drove through Centerville, SD today. First time I'd been there. Some places still get it.

dfc9a998a25aa2723301bd23cc3d2d9b.jpg

looks like the starting of a ghost town to me!

4f1919048e2648a4e1d8f418e4c652de.jpg

I almost hit the doe that was eating under this one alongside the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6abf41dcf82b8c1917fd6237f234e9bd.jpg

This tree is on the neighboring property at the end of my driveway. 2 years ago it had apples on it into January. Last year we had late frosts that took a lot of Apple blossoms and this tree didn't have many if any at all. This year it's looking pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk