Opened up 2 acres off my back yard...what do?

nrowles

5 year old buck +
Pennsylvania. Picture of new opening below. First thing to note is wildlife management is not my primary goal. These pine trees had me so confined on a daily basis I needed to open things up. With that being said, wildlife management (of all types) comes next. The picture is showing about 2 acres cleared. The dozer was able to save a couple hardwoods. I also have another 1 1/2 acre opening off to the right of the picture where the hunting stand is facing (this was clover but needs reworked). At this point the soil is not good for planting and I wanted something to come up quick to avoid water runoff so I've seeded orchard grass. I'm also in shale ground with only about 4-6 inches of topsoil. I only have 14 acres total so I'm just catching deer coming through. Sometime I have them bedded in the pines but I'm certainly not holding deer.

With this 2 acres cleared, just taking a gander out the window here and there we've seen does every day since Friday. The bucks likely won't come out into it in the daylight with the homestead being here but oh well. Heck we were standing on the deck Saturday at noon and 3 doe slowly walked across about half way out paying no attention to us.

Any thoughts on what to do with this area to keep it mostly open but also provide for the wildlife as a quick stop when passing through? I want to be able to use most of the area (walks, atv, etc.) and mostly be able to see out to the other end. I'm thinking of putting 4 apples trees down in front of the ugly tree pile (which will grow up in weeds by winter). I don't see myself putting in any "farm" crops like soybeans or corn but you never know. I was thinking of very randomly planting some trees and bushes deer like but keeping them very distanced so we can see out through and mow around everything easily (maybe once per month) and not jam this opening back up. Will probably put in a very small food plot at other end. Possibly let a couple small patches towards the middle grow up into weeds/brush.

I'm really just looking for any thoughts while achieving my goals. I know enough about food plots but not so much of the wildlife trees and bushes. It's not a very big area so I'm sure anything I add will fill up quickly.

1fBQXZC.jpg

I personally would plant a fruit tree orchard if possible I’m unsure if 4-6” topsoil is enough soil. That close to the house and a mower available alfalfa would be pretty tempting.

What about sun hemp? Plant some irregular strips for cover and browse. That and i like alfalfa also.

I personally would plant a fruit tree orchard if possible I’m unsure if 4-6” topsoil is enough soil. That close to the house and a mower available alfalfa would be pretty tempting.
I would do the same. Make the rows run towards the house that way you can look all the way down them without blocking your view to the timber.

I agree with the orchard folks above, but I would also plant some clover not only for the deer but also to help the trees get some free nitrogen. I would soil test, spray and plant an annual (I like Medium Red or Mammoth Red) and then some kind of perennial (I like alsike and ladino) so it keeps coming back. Plant this with rye and it will come storming back in the spring when you are planting your trees. You could also add more in the spring so you get seedings ahead before the trees go in.
Depending on where you are in central PA, you have both Whitetail Crabs and Blue Hill Nursery pretty close, along with Adams County Nursery if you want to drive a bit.

Clover and and apple trees sounds like a good idea! How fun to watch the wildlife in your back yard!

I would also suggest some fruit tree's, but I would plant something simple till you can get the soil PH to a better point, something like Buckwheat, will be good for spring and summer and at end of summer, maybe replant with something like rape, brassicia,, I would skip something like clover, for a bit, till soil settles in more, seeds are more costly, and odds are your going to get a poor take where weeds will run wild, unless you want to spend more time and && on spraying to try and maintain it!
Buckwheat again gets my vote, seeds tend to be cheap and grows fast and in lesser soils good!

also both buckwheat and the brassicia will grow in so so soils and help build the soil some(clover will as well as other things too)

buckwheat and rape/brassicia's however will also help lift many loose rocks to the surface , in which you can pick and remove, (work, but it pays off if you can remove as many as you can)to further help make the site better over time!
FOR< me, section of land is a ON going game, as its going from wooded to cleared and as such it takes time to change it to a GOOD plot site!
as they say time will tell, and when dealing with new sites, many times its just good to sit back a little and see what happens, and adjust as needed!
as after each winter for a while your going to have rock heaves pushed up as the ground freezes and thaws , for a while on a new site
so having an annual planted, allows you to get in and remove as needed and not have to worry about ruining a planting like clover or such , best of luck to you!

If it were mine, I would keep it simple this year. Soil test, amend the soil, lightly disc the soil, and a light seeding of winter rye. Early succession of seeds that are already in the soil can be a huge draw for wildlife, without human manipulation. Being this was mostly pines, I am sure it will need a lot of lime to bring ph up, so it doesnt make sense to spend a bunch of money and time planting much in it, until the soil is capable of growing stuff you want in there. Then next year retest your soil, and see if it is ready to plant what you want in there.

If it were mine, I would keep it simple this year. Soil test, amend the soil, lightly disc the soil, and a light seeding of winter rye. Early succession of seeds that are already in the soil can be a huge draw for wildlife, without human manipulation. Being this was mostly pines, I am sure it will need a lot of lime to bring ph up, so it doesnt make sense to spend a bunch of money and time planting much in it, until the soil is capable of growing stuff you want in there. Then next year retest your soil, and see if it is ready to plant what you want in there.
good call! I would get it up into at least a pH of 6.0+ before planting trees or perennial clover..i have some trees and clover on pH in the high 5s and the growth of both is definitely behind trees and plots I have that are in better pH soil

Pennsylvania. Picture of new opening below. First thing to note is wildlife management is not my primary goal. These pine trees had me so confined on a daily basis I needed to open things up. With that being said, wildlife management (of all types) comes next. The picture is showing about 2 acres cleared. The dozer was able to save a couple hardwoods. I also have another 1 1/2 acre opening off to the right of the picture where the hunting stand is facing (this was clover but needs reworked). At this point the soil is not good for planting and I wanted something to come up quick to avoid water runoff so I've seeded orchard grass. I'm also in shale ground with only about 4-6 inches of topsoil. I only have 14 acres total so I'm just catching deer coming through. Sometime I have them bedded in the pines but I'm certainly not holding deer.

With this 2 acres cleared, just taking a gander out the window here and there we've seen does every day since Friday. The bucks likely won't come out into it in the daylight with the homestead being here but oh well. Heck we were standing on the deck Saturday at noon and 3 doe slowly walked across about half way out paying no attention to us.

Any thoughts on what to do with this area to keep it mostly open but also provide for the wildlife as a quick stop when passing through? I want to be able to use most of the area (walks, atv, etc.) and mostly be able to see out to the other end. I'm thinking of putting 4 apples trees down in front of the ugly tree pile (which will grow up in weeds by winter). I don't see myself putting in any "farm" crops like soybeans or corn but you never know. I was thinking of very randomly planting some trees and bushes deer like but keeping them very distanced so we can see out through and mow around everything easily (maybe once per month) and not jam this opening back up. Will probably put in a very small food plot at other end. Possibly let a couple small patches towards the middle grow up into weeds/brush.

I'm really just looking for any thoughts while achieving my goals. I know enough about food plots but not so much of the wildlife trees and bushes. It's not a very big area so I'm sure anything I add will fill up quickly.

1fBQXZC.jpg
Hi nrowles. Is that old Glatfelter Paper Company Land? They owned a lot around me (Perry,Juniata) at one time so there are a lot of pine stands like that scattered around.

I do have the soil test and conditioning in mind. That's what I did with my other openings here. It needed lots of everything.

I highly doubt I will go full blown orchard. I may put some trees up like I said but not 2 acres worth.

Will look into sunn hemp and alfalfa. Have not considered them.

I did throw out orchard grass now just because I know it grows on a rock and I wanted to get something growing. I can spray it whenever I get to the point of incorporating anything else in.

I do have clover in my other openings here but it's needing reworked. It's definitely still coming up in spots but with lots of weeds around it.

This is an old Glatfelter property. A wealthy dude bought a couple thousand acres of it around here and has parceled some of it out.

I do have the soil test and conditioning in mind. That's what I did with my other openings here. It needed lots of everything.

I highly doubt I will go full blown orchard. I may put some trees up like I said but not 2 acres worth.

Will look into sunn hemp and alfalfa. Have not considered them.

I did throw out orchard grass now just because I know it grows on a rock and I wanted to get something growing. I can spray it whenever I get to the point of incorporating anything else in.

I do have clover in my other openings here but it's needing reworked. It's definitely still coming up in spots but with lots of weeds around it.

This is an old Glatfelter property. A wealthy dude bought a couple thousand acres of it around here and has parceled some of it out.
Nice. I have some Glatfelter properties right down the road from me. I have a couple of big tall pines on my property that must've spread from some of them. Good luck. That looks like a nice clearing you'll have. I'd probably plant some shrub hedges to partially screen everything and then some food plots nearer the woods. You might get some buck to come out in the daylight.

You need to make a trip to Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery.

You need to make a trip to Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery.

Thanks for that. They're pretty much in my backyard.