Things I See While Driving

It's unreal what those random trees can kick out. I'm dead set on finding one of those random trees and trying to graft it to some of my crab stocks.

"2 years ago it had apples on it into January"

Just an observation on fruit trees from 2013. Around us Spring was really late and the trees bloomed 2-3 weeks later in May than normal. Seems that Fall, just about all the trees held apples much longer than typical. I have one tree that always holds a few dozen apples into Dec. That year it was holding lots of fruit on Dec 15 and still had a stubborn few into Feb 2014. That was the only time I have seen fruit on that tree past Christmas. Still my most consistent and latest holding of the wild trees along my ridge fenceline (faces south)

DSC01257 (Small).JPG

"2 years ago it had apples on it into January"

Just an observation on fruit trees from 2013. Around us Spring was really late and the trees bloomed 2-3 weeks later in May than normal. Seems that Fall, just about all the trees held apples much longer than typical. I have one tree that always holds a few dozen apples into Dec. That year it was holding lots of fruit on Dec 15 and still had a stubborn few into Feb 2014. That was the only time I have seen fruit on that tree past Christmas. Still my most consistent and latest holding of the wild trees along my ridge fenceline (faces south)

View attachment 7268

that pic reminds me of a spot i usually pick up a couple sheds in most years.

Not too many sheds by me. There is a cedar swamp a mile north of my land. It's not that big so a few spill over into my pines which are just to the west of this fenceline. During the winter I snowshoe up on the ridge a lot and see beds out in the sunnier spots, but only a couple of hops back into the pines.

Isn't it cool to find an apple tree with a good fruit load in a weird, unsuspecting place ?? You KNOW full well that any deer in the area will show up there at some point in time.

Rocksnstumps - That's a nice looking tree in the pix - whatever it is. Keep an eye out for deer sign.:)

First soybeans I've seen coming out. This is just west of Orange City, IA.

0f74d83bac0576a39d26ebfea9310c59.jpg

Sent from my mobile land management office.

Quite a few beans coming out here. The last 2 days have been in the 90s with 30mph+ winds so things are drying down quickly.

Came across this spot today. Can't imagine a better setup. I block of spruce separating alfelpha from corn. On the other side of the corn is beans. Days like this I love being a salesman, not a cloud in the sky.

image.jpg

First soybeans I've seen coming out. This is just west of Orange City, IA.

0f74d83bac0576a39d26ebfea9310c59.jpg

Most edible beans are out,but soys should start soon.

It's unreal what those random trees can kick out. I'm dead set on finding one of those random trees and trying to graft it to some of my crab stocks.
I could provide scion. What type of tree/fruit are you looking for? Which zone?

I could provide scion. What type of tree/fruit are you looking for? Which zone?
I'm just looking for a heavy producing low maintenance wild tree. Doesn't have to be the latest hanger, just one of those forgotten oasis trees we see around the country side. This is for our property on the north end of Cass County. I'd bring a cold case of Blatz or Busch light for a dozen buds, and a follow up case of Coors Light or Nordeast if they take.

You guys are lucky to have such a good supply of wild crabs around like that. The thing about crabs is - they're tough. No babying required. And the smaller, 1" to 2" size is easy chomping for the deer.

Beans are piling up at the coop.
d7cb3a6c6a5bf6cc3be8e3a5240fa285.jpg

I stopped at a school today and stumbled upon what I believe are bur oaks. I was told the school was 16 years old. I assume the landscaping is as well.

Two words: Loaded!
cff6939a6023d6baedca7047e3e4e554.jpg

e4968169bb5f6ed15f598ba35197ebd0.jpg

Grab some of those up and get them in pots SD!

They were the biggest acorns I'd ever seen. And there were tons of them.

With the cap, these weren't too far off that.

Harrisburg Middle School in Harrisburg, SD.

I'm just looking for a heavy producing low maintenance wild tree. Doesn't have to be the latest hanger, just one of those forgotten oasis trees we see around the country side. This is for our property on the north end of Cass County. I'd bring a cold case of Blatz or Busch light for a dozen buds, and a follow up case of Coors Light or Nordeast if they take.
I can get you scion from a type of tree (chestnut crab) that produces in the southern parts of dmu 172. I can also get scion from a crab that is very similar to a crab that grows in the southern parts of Cass county. I suspect it will work OK in your area as it is a rootstock crab. I also have grafted dolgo which did produce in that same area of 172 during the cold '60's.
Get some rootstock and I will try and graft some for you. Buds are free any time you want them. I suspect it is too late now for bud grafting.

Stu and I can find some other crabs to try. Remember that Stu is in USDA hardiness zone 4 an I presently live in zone 4 or 3b. You are probably in a colder pocket.

The northern most wild crab that I have found in central Minnesota has been south of Brainerd by the rest area on 371. There are wild crabs to the NW towards wadena and up north of there and evidently to the northeast as well.

I have ordered scion for the Northland crab which is supposed to be hardy for northern Mn. Norland apple is very tough, also.

There is a nursery in Grand Rapids that has an interesting website. I would look at there selections that are rated zone 3. Forget those that are rated zone 4 and lean towards the crab apples for low maintenance.