These crabs any good?

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
These crabs any good for pollinating. Tag says most likely will not fruit??? I guess just ornamental? Price is 10 bucks a peice. They have 4 left. Also have 2 swamp white oaks. Look like third leaf trees for cheap!

image (9).jpeg

If it were me, I wouldn't knowingly plant a non fruit bearing crab. There are many good fruit bearing crabs to choose from. What type of tree/variety are you seeking to pollinate?

I have 14 various fruit trees in the ground honeycrisp, liberty, enterprise, goldrush, Arkansas black, moon glow an keifer pears.

Whats your thoughts on Native Nursery crab apples? Is this like planting an apple seed and not knowing what your gonna get???? They are 5.50/tree seedling. Sounds pretty good.
I have my fruit trees planted in 3 seperate locations. I would like to add a crab to each location.

I have added a number of smaller fruit size crabs like Sugar Tyme, Robinson, and Prairie Fire that help with pollination of apple trees but also provide a food source for turkey and grouse into the winter months. I have about 23 apples in the ground and have 32 on order for next year.

Are the apple trees producing fruit?

Whats your thoughts on Native Nursery crab apples? Is this like planting an apple seed and not knowing what your gonna get???? They are 5.50/tree seedling. Sounds pretty good.
I have my fruit trees planted in 3 seperate locations. I would like to add a crab to each location.
I am not familiar with Native Nursery crabs - many of the crabs that I have came from Shopko - which I bought at end of season sale.

Have you seen this site: http://www.orangepippintrees.com/pollinationchecker.aspx?a=0&v=1013

What crabs are the turkeys utilizing? Do those smaller ones drop or do they hang all winter?

Hey Badgerfowl, All three that I listed will hold fruit into the winter, the fruit does drop. I don't live onsite, but from my experience, the Sugar Tyme and Praire Fire hold longer than the Robinson and Profusion. I had Profusion crabs that didn't produce any fruit last year, but are loaded this year. Last year I had spotted a grouse that had flown inside the tree cage and was eating apples. This year I planted a couple Centennial crabs and 1 Chestnut that I bought from Cummins (I was surprised that the Centennial crabs produced fruit this year - which I removed to improved tree growth). I also, have a bunch of Sugar Tyme crabs that I grew from seed that I have been planting using tree tubes. My plan is to remove the tubes next year if they survive winter.

I had not seen that site tks for posting 2ndHand.
I have been researching crabs the past couple evening and find myself wondering. As tough and disease resistant as these trees are said to be why are these not our go to for grafting??? You can get them cheap enough and I have heard of guys grafting to them seems like the perfect rootstock??? Thoughts? I think I might make my first graft attempt to some Midwest crabs unless someone can advise me otherwise.

Jordan - I've had a Profusion crab in my yard for 24 yrs. It puts out loads of 1/2" to 5/8" red apples every year. They'll hold some of their apples all winter, and some will drop. ANY bird will eat them - turkey, grouse, anything w/feathers. Deer would eat them too, but I live in a development. No deer here. I've seen deer eat them in other places. Any of the ornamental crabs that produce fruit will attract some type of wildlife.

Some very good crabs to plant for deer that are edible are: Chestnut, Whitney, Dolgo, Kerr, Trailman apple/crab, Hyslop, Wickson, Transcendant. I don't graft, so I can't advise on what crabs to try grafting to. Maybe one of the " apple guys " can jump in and help you with that. Good luck with your trees.

I had not seen that site tks for posting 2ndHand.
I have been researching crabs the past couple evening and find myself wondering. As tough and disease resistant as these trees are said to be why are these not our go to for grafting??? You can get them cheap enough and I have heard of guys grafting to them seems like the perfect rootstock??? Thoughts? I think I might make my first graft attempt to some Midwest crabs unless someone can advise me otherwise.

Hey Jordan, This was my first year trying grafting - so far so good, I used the cleft graft method. I purchased root stock from Cummins - I went with B.118 root stock - not very familiar with other options. For crabs, I have 2 Chestnuts and 1 Whitney that I have grafted. I would give it a try...for me it's all kind of an experiment.
Best of luck...;)