I'm sorry, i was responding to CNC's post on the spread, spray, walk method.

Sergio, I know nothing about planting down in Texas. But up here I would spray that powerline, broadcast a bunch of winter rye (and maybe red clover), and lightly drag the surface to ensure seed to soil contact and to lay down the standing vegetation a bit.

It has worked for me. Planted buckwheat spring of 2015, had a successful crop. Overseeded with winter rye and red clover late summer of 2015. Had a successful crop of rye fall and spring. Now it's a thriving red clover plot that I just overseeded with more winter rye. Hasn't been cut or dragged or rolled since spring 2015 and has been providing food nearly everyday since then.

I firmly believe the standing vegetation helps immensely on my sand. I've been leaning more towards this in recent years vs mowing or dragging.
Due to the distance between home and my plots, along with a busy summer schedule that revolves around my son's travel baseball I am strongly considering going with an approach like this. My one attempt with buckwheat has shown that it is easy to grow! I hope WR is as easy as I've read to get to grow. Two of the plots didn't get any supplemental clover this year, so if the WR comes in, I'm thinking of overseeding them with buckwheat next spring and spraying the WR. That fall they'd get the clover and WR mix.

Sergio, I know nothing about planting down in Texas. But up here I would spray that powerline, broadcast a bunch of winter rye (and maybe red clover), and lightly drag the surface to ensure seed to soil contact and to lay down the standing vegetation a bit.
Can a cultipacker be used to ensure seed to soil contact and lay down the existing vegetation?

If you seed first, then roll it down over the top, you should not have an issue, many guys(including myself) have used the method you are asking about. If you are planning on spraying the plot with gly, do it about a week ahead of the throw and roll so you start to get a good kill before the existing vegetation is rolled on top of itself.

Can a cultipacker be used to ensure seed to soil contact and lay down the existing vegetation?
Yes a cultipacker can be used, I actually roll and spray all in one pass with my quad after broadcasting into it.

Last edited:
If you seed first, then roll it down over the top, you should not have an issue, many guys(including myself) have used the method you are asking about.
I read where some people don't spray and just roll/crimp the existing vegetation over the seeds. Do you spray or just roll?

Thanks for the responses guys. As of right now the area I want to plant in is shaded but I will be cutting down a whole of trees shorty and we will also be loosing at the leafs soon so the area will be getting sunlight.

I plan on doing winter rye and a few mores seeds this year since that rye can grow on my sidewalk. That will buy me time to do a proper clean up of the area as best I can from my track chair since I am a para and cannot do some of the stuff you able bodied no goods can do :):):)

Thanks again!

This is my 1st ever plot and it is in the woods and was loaded with leaves. I chose to have my son and I rake and remove all the leaves after we removed some brush and a bunch of cedars. It is shaded but gets decent light. The picture does not show the whole plot or where most of the sun comes from. We then laid lime and 19/19/19 and planted Grandpa Ray's Soil Builder mix. The plot did great and the deer loved it. I have since broadcast in Grandpa Ray's Fall Draw as well as some oats and WR. In short, clearing the leaves worked for us but I have no proof it would not have.DSC02403.JPG

I read where some people don't spray and just roll/crimp the existing vegetation over the seeds. Do you spray or just roll?

I have done it both ways depending on how thick the existing vegetation is. The pics you posted seem to be pretty thick with existing grasses and that will not only limit you getting the seeds all the way to the dirt without them "hanging up" on the existing vegetation, IMO, what is in your pics will provide massive amounts of competition with your newly germinated seedlings for sunlight, water, and nutrients if you don't terminate what is there now.

A cultipacker and a crimper are two different pieces of equipt., the crimper puts little crimps crosswise up the plant not allowing nutients to flow and kills the plant, the cultipacker basically just lays the thatch down and spraying kills it.

Crimper

Roller-crimper-resize.jpg

I have done it both ways depending on how thick the existing vegetation is. The pics you posted seem to be pretty thick with existing grasses and that will not only limit you getting the seeds all the way to the dirt without them "hanging up" on the existing vegetation, IMO, what is in your pics will provide massive amounts of competition with your newly germinated seedlings for sunlight, water, and nutrients if you don't terminate what is there now.
^^^^ X2.

I saw the same thing and that's why I not only recommended a spraying, but also a pass with a light drag or cultipacker since you have one.

Yes a cultipacker can be used, I actually roll and spray all in one pass with my quad after broadcasting into it.

I know you have had some success with this scott, as I have seen the pic above and many others you have posted in the past, but do you get complete spray coverage(i.e. complete kills of existing veg), or do you see some percentage of it stand up and come back after you do it this way? I would assume with the spray boom ahead of the packer, you would get a good kill, but I could also see it not being as effective in some ways as well?

I know you have had some success with this scott, as I have seen the pic above and many others you have posted in the past, but do you get complete spray coverage(i.e. complete kills of existing veg), or do you see some percentage of it stand up and come back after you do it this way? I would assume with the spray boom ahead of the packer, you would get a good kill, but I could also see it not being as effective in some ways as well?
I would say I do not get a complete kill because some of the rolled down thatch might cover the shorter weeds/grasses, I have noticed that clover doesn't seem to be affected much by this method but others spray clover and it just knocks it back. Here's a pic like I said some of the shorter weeds and clover doesn't get hit but it seems to do good enough for me. This year I actually tried rolling some down without even spraying just to compare.

I will definitely spray and I just wanted to understand the difference.

A cultipacker and a crimper are two different pieces of equipt., the crimper puts little crimps crosswise up the plant not allowing nutients to flow and kills the plant, the cultipacker basically just lays the thatch down and spraying kills it.

Crimper

Roller-crimper-resize.jpg
Nice plot and equipment!

I will definitely spray and I just wanted to understand the difference.

Nice plot and equipment!
This is just a pic off the net, I wish it was mine.

Throw n mow I put out Monday got rain Thurs and Fri. Lot of germination already. Grocery store beans and peas are reaching for that soil and should be fine if it doesn't get real hot and windy the next couple of days.
e19b81a2aacff90971e93583f9e27ac8.jpg
cc1abec796334be346de2eb4fccd99b8.jpg
af058332959c1381012ac272c10c6d8a.jpg
b324bba81d8f60823fb15638829f4a5d.jpg
b3f59d3606eb743c26421c828a1bac6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks really good Scott. What was your seed mix, and especially - what was the rate per acre for each seed?