Pointer....Just from looking at what I can see in the first pic, I think your issue was that you didn't have enough thatch to cover the seed. Think about it like a greenhouse without the top on it....it's not much of a greenhouse. If you can see bare ground like in the foreground of your pic then you don't have enough thatch. A blanket of thatch is the key to getting the seed to germinate like this.

Very well could be. I'm hoping that the WR will grow in these plots thick enough to give me what I need for next year to give it another go. As easy as I was able to grow buckwheat this year, I do see myself using more of that in the future for spring/summer.

Just thinking out loud……

I actually think there’s another approach to this that we could take but I haven’t really experimented with it yet. The Japanese farmer in the One Straw Revolution actually sprouted his seed by broadcasting it into the standing vegetation and then waiting two weeks before removing the canopy of vegetation and putting it to the ground. This to me says that you should be able to do the same thing with a cereal grain crop in early fall. I’m very tempted to try it and probably will next year.

Just thinking out loud……

I actually think there’s another approach to this that we could take but I haven’t really experimented with it yet. The Japanese farmer in the One Straw Revolution actually sprouted his seed by broadcasting it into the standing vegetation and then waiting two weeks before removing the canopy of vegetation and putting it to the ground. This to me says that you should be able to do the same thing with a cereal grain crop in early fall. I’m very tempted to try it and probably will next year.

I actually just did this - not intentionally but here is how it came about. I have a small 1/8 acre plot that is near my front yard that was being overgrown with weeds, clover, grass etc. I decided to spray it all with gly and start over anew this Fall with a brassica/clover mix. After spraying I went over to the barn only to discover that the tractor had a flat tire so I was unable to mow down the standing vegetation that day. The next day we had 1.5 inches of rain and the plot became too wet to drive on so I waited for it to dry out before mowing. I was looking at the plot last Saturday and noticed that all of the seed had germinated and there were plants already coming up. Rather than risking the brush hog windrowing the plant debris on the already growing plants I decided to use my regular riding mower and cut the plot instead as it was only an 1/8th of an acre.

I looked at the plot today and I have lots of baby plants coming up all over the plot!

Just thinking out loud……

We did something similar on our old place a few times when we were short on time. We broadcast into the standing vegetation, sprayed, and just walked away. Plots were as good as ones we mowed and ones we rolled down as long as we had adequate moisture to prevent them from burning up. I do think that putting the thatch down over the top in some way can help with containing moisture at ground level, as opposed to allowing the sun to directly hit the dirt and wind to flow freely across the surface of the plot, thus drying the soil faster.

Crimson, what is the concensus on why he waited 2 weeks before mowing? To let rain push the seed to the soil?

Crimson, what is the concensus on why he waited 2 weeks before mowing? To let rain push the seed to the soil?

To let the seed sprout and get started. I’m figuring that with a thick enough standing crop in the field….the heavy overstory likely keeps the soil surface pretty shaded and moist. I suppose if the overstory of vegetation was thick enough then it might create greenhouse like conditions underneath. I would bet it works....

I like the idea because seeds like clover actually do much better without being covered by a thick blanket of hay. I’m betting cereal grains would sprout just fine that way once you get your soil surface conditioned. Instead of creating a thatch layer like we’re doing now, then we would more less just be coming back two weeks after broadcasting to remove a portion of the overstory…..clip it really high so that a portion is left standing and a portion lightly covers the ground. You may just be able to let it go and not do anything if you spray at the same time you broadcast. We need to experiment with it a little.

Can anyone throw me some help with the question I asked in post 211? Thanks.

I honestly don't know the answer as I haven't tried to blow leafs over seed in a shaded spot, but I'll through out my opinion: I would probably not blow the leafs over it. I would spread the seed and then pack it with either a roller or tires. I'm assuming the spot has little or no direct sunlight and that it stays moist most of the time. These conditions should facilitate germination, once they are up they will need as much sunlight as possible.
Once again, I don't have experience so take this logic with a grain of salt.

I use leaves as a mulch in my vegetable garden. Nothing has done better to suppress weed germination. With that experience, I would not have them anywhere near a spot where I was growing something from seed. They are just too effective at blocking the tender growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses guys. As of right now the area I want to plant in is shaded but I will be cutting down a whole of trees shorty and we will also be loosing at the leafs soon so the area will be getting sunlight.

I plan on doing winter rye and a few mores seeds this year since that rye can grow on my sidewalk. That will buy me time to do a proper clean up of the area as best I can from my track chair since I am a para and cannot do some of the stuff you able bodied no goods can do :):):)

Thanks again!

To let the seed sprout and get started. I’m figuring that with a thick enough standing crop in the field….the heavy overstory likely keeps the soil surface pretty shaded and moist. I suppose if the overstory of vegetation was thick enough then it might create greenhouse like conditions underneath. I would bet it works....

I like the idea because seeds like clover actually do much better without being covered by a thick blanket of hay. I’m betting cereal grains would sprout just fine that way once you get your soil surface conditioned. Instead of creating a thatch layer like we’re doing now, then we would more less just be coming back two weeks after broadcasting to remove a portion of the overstory…..clip it really high so that a portion is left standing and a portion lightly covers the ground. You may just be able to let it go and not do anything if you spray at the same time you broadcast. We need to experiment with it a little.
It has worked for me. Planted buckwheat spring of 2015, had a successful crop. Overseeded with winter rye and red clover late summer of 2015. Had a successful crop of rye fall and spring. Now it's a thriving red clover plot that I just overseeded with more winter rye. Hasn't been cut or dragged or rolled since spring 2015 and has been providing food nearly everyday since then.

I firmly believe the standing vegetation helps immensely on my sand. I've been leaning more towards this in recent years vs mowing or dragging.

Last edited:
This ^^^ is what we were doing the last 2 years before the old man sold it, minus the clover, as our soil was not quite ready for that. BW, rye, BW, rye. We were starting to finally see small dividends after 20 years of soil abuse.

Next summer I think I'm going to spray that rye and clover plot with gly. I'm sure it will have some weeds and grass established by then. Going to try overseeding brassicas into it and leaving the vegetation standing vs rolling it down.

The Spread, Spray, and Walk Away Method!......:D

The Spread, Spray, and Walk Away Method!......:D
It has a good ring to it. But I like to spray first so I get the best coverage possible on the first pass without the field being matted down at all.

The spray and spread. Seems to be several ways to go about this based on what you plant, and the current state of vegetation there at planting time. When you plant things that germinate easily like buckwheat or winter rye, almost any process will work.

The times when thatch has been necessary for me is when broadcasting large seeds like sunflower, peas, or oats. Especially when mother nature isn't lining up to provide the perfect level of moisture.

Need help from the more experienced than me.
I've been wanting to try the throw and mow application on a pipeline that runs down the middle of the property but I wanted some suggestions as to what to do.

This is what it looks like to date.

IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3737.JPG
IMG_3738.JPG
IMG_3739.JPG

There is some thatch on the ground already as I have mowed before.

Would like to hear recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would eliminate thatch being too thick where it windrows.

It would eliminate thatch being too thick where it windrows.
Should I disc the thatch to break it up?