Hey guys, how does the thrownand mow technique work with buckwheat? Tried it with some brasscas and its working prretty darn good! Getting some good rain this weekend that should help a lot.
works great with buckwheat. I took a field overgrown with 6 ft weeds, spread BW and sunflowers , mowed and sprayed all in the same day and had a 3 ft stand of buckwheat. I didn't amend the soil at all. I let the BW terminate then I sowed clover turnips, winter wheat and chicory, mowed, limed fertilized and sprayed again. Ive got great germination and I even have a bunch of buckwheat that reseeded. Its going to be a good looking plot in month!

works great with buckwheat. I took a field overgrown with 6 ft weeds, spread BW and sunflowers , mowed and sprayed all in the same day and had a 3 ft stand of buckwheat. I didn't amend the soil at all. I let the BW terminate then I sowed clover turnips, winter wheat and chicory, mowed, limed fertilized and sprayed again. Ive got great germination and I even have a bunch of buckwheat that reseeded. Its going to be a good looking plot in month!
Though I have just one season of using buckwheat it's been the easiest thing to grow I've tried. Sprayed then broadcast a month later then cultipacked grew a thick stand of buckwheat, that is FULL of seeds. In a couple weeks I'll spread clover+rye+oats into the buckwheat and cultipack it. I figure at worse I'll get a good flush of new buckwheat that'll get killed by the first frost, but that should be after the youth weekend so not a horrible thing.

Is Hancock Farm a place that has good prices on seeds? They had a 50 pound bag of winter rye for about 20 dollars I believe. Not sure what the shipping charges from them are like. Thanks.

Is Hancock Farm a place that has good prices on seeds? They had a 50 pound bag of winter rye for about 20 dollars I believe. Not sure what the shipping charges from them are like. Thanks.

You will probably pay double that with shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YIKES. Thank you for the reply.

Hey guys, how does the thrownand mow technique work with buckwheat? Tried it with some brasscas and its working prretty darn good! Getting some good rain this weekend that should help a lot.
Throw and mow buckwheat in the foreground, sunflowers in the background. Worked great this yr.! This ground has never been broken or seen equipment other than a sprayer and a lawnmower.

Nice field. I cannot believe the deer let your sunflowers grow. I had them on 3 ac in a mix and best I can tell they ate every one in about 3 days.

Nice field. I cannot believe the deer let your sunflowers grow. I had them on 3 ac in a mix and best I can tell they ate every one in about 3 days.

They didn't let them go, they just outgrew them. I have three plots in the same location, the deer rotated through each plot when it was most attractive. Once the sunflowers looked like this they moved to the buckwheat or millet... letting the sunflowers recover.

A week or two after defoliation, they looked like this again.

Thats great they can grow back, had no idea. Mine were gone before they got 6" high

To be honest, I wouldn't count on them coming back. I've had them mowed down before when they didn't rebound. I think they had enough root system under them this yr that they could recover once the deer left them alone for a while.

Here is my try at throw n' mow in a winter rye patch I planted late last summer. All I did was broadcast some pro graze mix into the standing rye, and flattened it out by driving my tractor over it with the bucket down . I did this last Sunday and it is starting to grow up threw the mulch already today Sat Aug 20th. Pro Graze has rape, white clover ,red clover, and turnip mix in it.Oat and peas aug 20th 2016-08-20 001.JPG Oat and peas aug 20th 2016-08-20 002.JPG Oat and peas aug 20th 2016-08-20 003.JPG Oat and peas aug 20th 2016-08-20 006.JPG food plot 2016 2016-07-29 018.JPG

That is some great looking thatch Flatlander. I've found thatch to be the most important part of my throw and mow, where I have bare dirt I have poor germination. You certainly have good thatch and good germination.

Ok, one more question, for now! How do peas work with the throw and mow method? I'm going to get some seeds down before so e supposed rain tomorrow night and Wednesday. I appreciate the help on the buckwheat question!

pea growth 003.jpg Pea's work well with adequate thatch and moisture.

I'm heading down in a couple of weeks to plant some cereal grains and clover. One of the plots I planted this spring in RR soybeans didn't get a second spraying is FULL of 4' tall weeds, largely ragweed and ironweed. Anyone tried overseeding into something like this? I'm thinking I can get the seed to the ground and then cultipacking and then spraying. Any and all thoughts would be great!

I've seeded into soybeans without packing or mowing. I do it right before the leafs yellow and fall. The leafs are my thatch in this situation.
The tall weeds work well for me but I do it a little different order than you described: spray and then wait a couple of weeks for it to soften or fall down a little, then I respray if needed, then broadcast and mow/pack. I found that weeds that have been dead for a while are easier to work with.

I guess you mean't throwing seed into pea's, my bad. I've done it, but most all the leaves were gone and vines were all that was left. It still works with good rain.

Ok, one more question, for now! How do peas work with the throw and mow method? I'm going to get some seeds down before so e supposed rain tomorrow night and Wednesday. I appreciate the help on the buckwheat question!

Peas can be broadcast, but with any seed of that size, a quality thatch covering is going to be essential. 1) because they're easy picking for birds; & 2) because it's impossible to keep them wet enough to get good germination if they're just sitting up on top.

Good rule of thumb is try to replace the recommended soil planting depth with "thatch planting depth." If you have corn, beans, peas, and they are supposed to be planted 1-1.5" deep, then replace that with 1-1.5" of thatch. I grew a great stand of soybeans last year with that very method on a small plot near my house.

Here's my throw and mow planted on 8/4, with the rain we've had th last week it's starting to look good. Quite a bit of grass in there but my plots aren't as pretty as they used to be and it doesn't bother me like it once did, they'll eat it anyways.

Some volunteer brassicas from last year.

Quite a bit of clover there too.

This plot hasn't been tilled for the last 3 yrs, I was curious to see what was under the thatch. When I dug down the first 4-6" was really easy diging and then I hit the heavy clay so this seems to be working really good on building a loamy top layer.

Lots of tunnels and roots in the first 4-6"

Last edited:
I didn't have any thatch covering a small patch of oats, so I spread some horse manure over the top of it.
5864db388f8f3957f54d75599aa8d569.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk