The Sweet Clover Thread

I'm not sure on crimp timing for ya. It is supposed to be ready when you see the big pollen grains hanging off the seed heads like this. @Foggy47 could chime in on this too. I know he had it figured out.

View attachment 64582
Those pollen grains shown above are a good indicator......but also can be a bit mis-guiding. The seeds themselves should be at the "dough stage" for optimal crimping. When at the dough stage all the plant energy has been put into developing that seed.....yet it is still not viable. You have about a week or two when at the dough stage to terminate the rye via a roller crimper. Mine can be quite late.....as we get a late start in Zone 3.

Update on the big experiment.

64dcccbdd693b0e5a8764f44aa164f47.jpg

My rye is definitely being affected in this plot. I’ve got rye on other parts of my land that is much farther along. I don’t understand what is happening, but it certainly isn’t thriving with the clovers.

592446eea5ca9765ebd3c66ca420ff06.jpg

The mix still looks good.

eadd6cd052fdde1e5d64e8fee259a997.jpg

And here comes the hell that is hairy vetch.

52c1f0dbe131af3a3028429557664510.jpg

I can’t identify any SC yet, or any specific clover at all. I’m hoping this is all balansa.

baace176972ea9fc16385d0749683d5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is Balansa. At least the clovers with the serrated leaves are.

Agree on balansa.

I will say I haven’t had the balansa go bonkers like the pictures show. But I always plant in a mix. Might try it by itself sometime just to see.

SD the hairy Veatch is that something you planted before or why is it showing up here

SD the hairy Veatch is that something you planted before or why is it showing up here

I threw a pint cup into my blower blend for that plot, maybe less. I didn’t realize what was coming. I’ll let it go yet this year so u guys can see what happens. Then I also have an excuse to not fight it.

I threw a pint cup into my blower blend for that plot, maybe less. I didn’t realize what was coming. I’ll let it go yet this year so u guys can see what happens. Then I also have an excuse to not fight it.

Hairy vetch will use a tree cage like a trellace

it then jumps the 48 in cage onto the trees

bill

Hairy vetch will use a tree cage like a trellace

it then jumps the 48 in cage onto the trees

bill

I’ve spread it in open spots in the woods to try to get it going, and it didn’t take. Only in the plots.

This is the northern third of the plot. It doesn’t put out the tonnage like the rest of the plot. The cereals really struggle and the clover is about half the height.

4309d485976b2acb4cb005282537fd36.jpg

The vetch is advancing quickly.

d0ff297d2937aa460ebca0d707150a70.jpg

The other two thirds are getting thick quickly. I’m really hoping to ID this clover this year, cause it is bringing the tonnage.

a6a951cb8d66e53bee1fe94484c46b20.jpg

The rye is catching up. May has been a banner month for rain. I think it could make it now.

8e8c388b2b62852d2073893ce039a514.jpg

Lots of tonnage in the good spots. Still seems squeaky clean too. Not much sign of sweet clover yet, but it’s still early.

20c9c182ac327243543e6be8adc4472a.jpg

@Foggy47 I’m just starting to see sweet clover in my new dirt spots. This is outside the plot we’ve all been watching in this thread.

I’m pretty certain this is YSC. It could also be alfalfa. I’ll know more in another couple weeks.

3c6fc8aa30ae279a8dd2adf9c0ea3ffa.jpg

4afaa5a47cfbcc9373631f1079440bcd.jpg

02d4cd548ef3b34a91a8c0dec22aaad9.jpg

53804bd5c9ea944fb51a1fb1f31a3bf7.jpg

bc4ea20628387e3993b51cdaa0c7cace.jpg

SD in the second picture in your first post is a plant with leaves that looks like a comb going each way. What is it ty

SD in the second picture in your first post is a plant with leaves that looks like a comb going each way. What is it ty

Omicron nailed it. That is the pain in my ass hairy vetch. It’s pretty and it’s bountiful, but without chems or iron, it runs wild in my plots. One plant can produce dozens and dozens of pods and be many many feet of snag and vine.

Omicron nailed it. That is the pain in my ass hairy vetch. It’s pretty and it’s bountiful, but without chems or iron, it runs wild in my plots. One plant can produce dozens and dozens of pods and be many many feet of snag and vine.

Do the deer like the hairy vetch at all?

I've grown it, and I don't think they eat it, except maybe at first green up due to food being sparse. It is a good soil builder, and bugs love it when it blooms, so turkeys could be all over it.

I've grown it, and I don't think they eat it, except maybe at first green up due to food being sparse. It is a good soil builder, and bugs love it when it blooms, so turkeys could be all over it.
Agreed. Really good nitrogen fixer too. I use it on my roads and such.

I’ve seen almost no use. If you really hunt u can find some browse, but otherwise no. Originally, I planted it for biomass, weed suppression, diversity, and attracting beneficial insects and bees.

It does all of that, and too well that it can smother and lodge your other stuff in the mix. I saw it collapse my rye crop and it laid there in a massive tangle that just hooked the edge of the mower and drug along a big chunk of snot.

What would be epic is if a guy could get something tall going early that the vetch could climb and not topple.

Maybe those jumbo Russian sunflowers in alternating strips with HV?

So tell me great guru SD. Is hairy vetch an annual or perrenial. It must be like having a hairy vetch pain in the ass. Lol wish I knew how to put your quotes in here llolllll

What would be epic is if a guy could get something tall going early that the vetch could climb and not topple.

Maybe those jumbo Russian sunflowers in alternating strips with HV?

I should save you a few seeds of my super duty Sorghum I am about to plant. It grows to 12 feet tall and has a very stout stem.