The Sweet Clover Thread

I've never had too much volunteer rye and I let it go to seed every year. In fact if I don't put the seeds down to the ground I get very few volunteers. We all know the turkeys love the seed heads but I'm convinced the deer nip them off as well after they mature.
That is interesting Bueller, as I've never noted that deer will eat the mature rye seed heads here. Of course, I usually don't let the rye stand much after maturing so maybe they would later on?

I have grown lots of "free" rye over the years by just waiting for the seed to mature and then mowing it with my rotary mower to scatter the seed...

I mowed this standing rye in August - Zone 4a - Upper Michigan
DSC02947 (1).jpeg

September 6th
DSC03037.JPG

September 24th
DSC03155.JPG

This year I had both wheat (left) and rye (right) in my cover crops. These early July seed heads aren't mature yet but I think the prickly awns discourage deer from browsing them...
IMG_2032.jpg

and by late July - early August when the seed nears maturity, these things are really prickly. As noted, I have never noticed any of it being browsed by deer. I know some guys are planting awnless varieties that the deer do browse but I've never found any near me to try out.
IMG_2302.jpg

BTW - My rag doll test of this July 28th seed was all negative. Not a single seed germinated, which is why I wait to mow until later on in August if I want a free rye crop.

That is interesting Bueller, as I've never noted that deer will eat the mature rye seed heads here. Of course, I usually don't let the rye stand much after maturing so maybe they would later on?

I have grown lots of "free" rye over the years by just waiting for the seed to mature and then mowing it with my rotary mower to scatter the seed...

I mowed this standing rye in August - Zone 4a - Upper Michigan
View attachment 57102

September 6th
View attachment 57103

September 24th
View attachment 57104

This year I had both wheat (left) and rye (right) in my cover crops. These early July seed heads aren't mature yet but I think the prickly awns discourage deer from browsing them...
View attachment 57105

and by late July - early August when the seed nears maturity, these things are really prickly. As noted, I have never noticed any of it being browsed by deer. I know some guys are planting awnless varieties that the deer do browse but I've never found any near me to try out.
View attachment 57106

BTW - My rag doll test of this July 28th seed was all negative. Not a single seed germinated, which is why I wait to mow until later on in August if I want a free rye crop.
I wish I had pictures of it but in years past I've taken an atv through plots that look just like your first picture. Volunteer rye grew great in the tire tracks and was non existent elsewhere. Once the rye matures and the heads starts bending over at the base they disappear pretty darn quick and don't grow on the ground. My money at least in my area is the deer help pick them off the plant at this stage.

I should add that while I don't have actual proof I do see peaks of deer activity in the rye. Obviously when green in the fall, early winter, and especially early spring. Activity falls hard to basically a stop in the spring and summer. Late summer they start spending lots more time in there as after the tall rye matures and starts losing its height.

One thing I have always heard that is absolutely true is it takes deer a while to warm up to certain foods. Anything I plant, the first year the deer barely touch it. They usually start to pick it at year two, and then they will wipe it out year three.

Won't be any new pics this week. The plot has slowed down. Its holding on nicely with the moisture it has, but the output isn't really moving. I'll update again after next weekend, and hopefully have some bowhunting footage to share as well. I have my fingers crossed next weekend I'll see some barley punching up above the chicory and tillering. I'd love to see seed heads on that barley before the heat shuts off completely.

I don't know if I'll have an exclusion cage out there this year. I had to steal that cage and others to mind my new elderberry operation. I've got the cage material to make more, I just don't wanna do it. We'll see what the cams and browse say. If the chow down hasn't begun, I may get it done yet.

Deer will eat every one of my awned wheat heads - at least any the coons, skunks, and hogs miss.

An article by the University of MN on sweeclover. Good info.

Sweetclover
Sweetclover

History​

Sweetclover is native to the Bakhara region of Asiatic Russia, and has been used as a green manure and a honey plant for more than 2,000 years. It was first reported growing in North America in Virginia in 1739.
It became recognized for its soil reclamation properties around 1900, when it successfully grew on many depleted, eroded soils of the southern United States.
Acreage planted to sweetclover has declined since usage peaked between 1925 and 1950. Several factors brought about its decline, including:
  • A decrease in the use of rotations.
  • The prevalence of cheap synthetic fertilizers.
  • A potential danger to ruminants from bleeding disease.
  • Damage by the sweetclover weevil (Sitona cylindricollis Fahr).
The sweetclover weevil is a dark green snout beetle about 3/16ths of an inch long. Adult weevils consume new seedlings and eat crescent-shaped areas from young leaves. Larvae injure the plant by attacking roots.
Sweetclover

Today, a limited amount of sweetclover is grown on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acreage. Sweetclover is also commonly found on wasteland and on roadsides, where it regenerates by self-seeding. As the handbook “Forage and Pasture Crops” says, “sweetclover will grow anywhere, provided there is more than 17 inches of well distributed rain, and the soil is not sour.”

Characteristics​

The name sweetclover is derived from the sweet odor of its crushed leaves. All sweetclovers contain coumarin, a bitter, stinging-tasting substance with a vanilla-like odor.
Coumarin is indirectly responsible for bleeding disease in livestock. In spoiled and molded sweetclover hay, coumarin transforms to dicoumarol, an anticoagulant. When cattle and sheep consume this spoiled hay, they develop bleeding disease. Horses rarely develop bleeding disease, but can develop colic from moldy hay.
While a cause of death in livestock, dicoumarol and its derivatives have saved many human lives by reducing blood clotting after surgery and the incidence of coronary thrombosis. Dicoumarol derivatives are also used in products like Warfarin for rodent control.
Sweetclover plants are tall, growing to heights of 2 to 4 feet, and have a thick, coarse stem. They produce large quantities of seed that shatters on maturity, leading to natural reseeding. Sweetclover leaves are pinnately compound with serrations around the entire leaf edge.
Most sweetclover varieties, being biennial, flower and die after their second year. There are white and yellow flowered types of sweetclover.
Sweetclover

Varieties​

Yellow sweetclover (Melilotus officinalis L.) flowers about two weeks earlier than white. The yellow types are smaller and lower-yielding, but also leafier and more drought-tolerant than white sweetclover (Melilotus alba L.).
Over time, a number of sweetclover varieties have been released. However, because of limited demand and on-farm seed production, variety integrity is often lost and seed of specific varieties may not be available.
Most sweetclover that’s found on the landscape usually contains about 2 percent coumarin, but some varieties with lower levels of coumarin have been marketed. Denta is a low-coumarin variety developed in Wisconsin.
In terms of biomass production, yellow and white varieties are similar. Yellow sweetclover makes less top growth in the fall of the first year than white varieties, but yellow increases its biomass yield with greater root growth. White sweetclover (also known as Bakhara, or Bakhara melliot) is taller and has a coarser stem than yellow sweetclover.
Most seed sold is common, however Evergreen (white blossomed) and Madrid (yellow blossomed) are two old-named varieties sometimes available. Hubam is an annual white-blossomed sweetclover variety that’s used as a green manure and emergency hay crop. It yields more forage, but produces less root biomass than the biennial sweetclovers.
Sweetclover

Sweetclover seeds

Sweetclover seeds. Actual colors may vary with variety and seed lot.

Adaptation​

Sweetclover requires nonacid (pH greater than 6.5), reasonably well-drained soils. It’s the legume best adapted to highly alkaline soils. It’s intolerant of poorly drained and flooded soils, but is drought-resistant and winter-hardy.
Sweetclover

Use​

Soil improvement​

Sweetclover is one of the best legumes for soil improvement. It produces high yields of both herbage and root nitrogen, as well as organic matter when not cut. Before the advent of synthetic fertilizers, the Corn Belt routinely used sweetclover as a green manure crop.
When grown for green manure, biennial sweetclover is plowed under in the spring of the second year. Plowing in the spring kills the plants, provided plant growth is at least three inches. In contrast, with fall plowing, plants can regrow in the spring and become weedy.

Honey​

Sweetclover is also an excellent source of high-quality honey. It produces an abundance of nectar, and the honey derived from it is light-colored and mild-flavored. One acre of sweetclover is sufficient for one hive of bees.

Harvested forage​

Sweetclover isn’t a preferred legume for harvested forage. It’s tall-growing and stemmy, and the forage tends to be low in quality. When cut for hay, you can achieve yields of two to four tons per acre.
The best stage to cut sweetclover for hay is at bud to early blossom. A stubble of 8 to 12 inches is usually left to encourage regrowth. This is because regrowth comes from axillary buds on the stem instead of the crown.
Any cutting of biennial sweetclover the first year reduces root size and vigor the second year. Because of its high moisture content and its rank growth, curing is difficult.

Grazing​

Sweetclover is low in palatability because of its coumarin content, and animals tend to eat other vegetation before eating sweetclover. Animals can, however, adjust to it. Sweetclover also causes bloat and scouring, and may taint milk.
Despite these limitations, grazing animals can perform well on sweetclover. Grazing may begin when plants are 14 inches tall, but maintain a minimum height of 8 inches to allow rapid regrowth. Plants become woody and unproductive if allowed to reach bud stage before initiating grazing.

An article by the University of MN on sweeclover. Good info.

Sweetclover
Sweetclover

History​

Sweetclover is native to the Bakhara region of Asiatic Russia, and has been used as a green manure and a honey plant for more than 2,000 years. It was first reported growing in North America in Virginia in 1739.
It became recognized for its soil reclamation properties around 1900, when it successfully grew on many depleted, eroded soils of the southern United States.
Acreage planted to sweetclover has declined since usage peaked between 1925 and 1950. Several factors brought about its decline, including:
  • A decrease in the use of rotations.
  • The prevalence of cheap synthetic fertilizers.
  • A potential danger to ruminants from bleeding disease.
  • Damage by the sweetclover weevil (Sitona cylindricollis Fahr).
The sweetclover weevil is a dark green snout beetle about 3/16ths of an inch long. Adult weevils consume new seedlings and eat crescent-shaped areas from young leaves. Larvae injure the plant by attacking roots.
Sweetclover

Today, a limited amount of sweetclover is grown on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acreage. Sweetclover is also commonly found on wasteland and on roadsides, where it regenerates by self-seeding. As the handbook “Forage and Pasture Crops” says, “sweetclover will grow anywhere, provided there is more than 17 inches of well distributed rain, and the soil is not sour.”

Characteristics​

The name sweetclover is derived from the sweet odor of its crushed leaves. All sweetclovers contain coumarin, a bitter, stinging-tasting substance with a vanilla-like odor.
Coumarin is indirectly responsible for bleeding disease in livestock. In spoiled and molded sweetclover hay, coumarin transforms to dicoumarol, an anticoagulant. When cattle and sheep consume this spoiled hay, they develop bleeding disease. Horses rarely develop bleeding disease, but can develop colic from moldy hay.
While a cause of death in livestock, dicoumarol and its derivatives have saved many human lives by reducing blood clotting after surgery and the incidence of coronary thrombosis. Dicoumarol derivatives are also used in products like Warfarin for rodent control.
Sweetclover plants are tall, growing to heights of 2 to 4 feet, and have a thick, coarse stem. They produce large quantities of seed that shatters on maturity, leading to natural reseeding. Sweetclover leaves are pinnately compound with serrations around the entire leaf edge.
Most sweetclover varieties, being biennial, flower and die after their second year. There are white and yellow flowered types of sweetclover.
Sweetclover

Varieties​

Yellow sweetclover (Melilotus officinalis L.) flowers about two weeks earlier than white. The yellow types are smaller and lower-yielding, but also leafier and more drought-tolerant than white sweetclover (Melilotus alba L.).
Over time, a number of sweetclover varieties have been released. However, because of limited demand and on-farm seed production, variety integrity is often lost and seed of specific varieties may not be available.
Most sweetclover that’s found on the landscape usually contains about 2 percent coumarin, but some varieties with lower levels of coumarin have been marketed. Denta is a low-coumarin variety developed in Wisconsin.
In terms of biomass production, yellow and white varieties are similar. Yellow sweetclover makes less top growth in the fall of the first year than white varieties, but yellow increases its biomass yield with greater root growth. White sweetclover (also known as Bakhara, or Bakhara melliot) is taller and has a coarser stem than yellow sweetclover.
Most seed sold is common, however Evergreen (white blossomed) and Madrid (yellow blossomed) are two old-named varieties sometimes available. Hubam is an annual white-blossomed sweetclover variety that’s used as a green manure and emergency hay crop. It yields more forage, but produces less root biomass than the biennial sweetclovers.
Sweetclover

Sweetclover seeds

Sweetclover seeds. Actual colors may vary with variety and seed lot.

Adaptation​

Sweetclover requires nonacid (pH greater than 6.5), reasonably well-drained soils. It’s the legume best adapted to highly alkaline soils. It’s intolerant of poorly drained and flooded soils, but is drought-resistant and winter-hardy.
Sweetclover

Use​

Soil improvement​

Sweetclover is one of the best legumes for soil improvement. It produces high yields of both herbage and root nitrogen, as well as organic matter when not cut. Before the advent of synthetic fertilizers, the Corn Belt routinely used sweetclover as a green manure crop.
When grown for green manure, biennial sweetclover is plowed under in the spring of the second year. Plowing in the spring kills the plants, provided plant growth is at least three inches. In contrast, with fall plowing, plants can regrow in the spring and become weedy.

Honey​

Sweetclover is also an excellent source of high-quality honey. It produces an abundance of nectar, and the honey derived from it is light-colored and mild-flavored. One acre of sweetclover is sufficient for one hive of bees.

Harvested forage​

Sweetclover isn’t a preferred legume for harvested forage. It’s tall-growing and stemmy, and the forage tends to be low in quality. When cut for hay, you can achieve yields of two to four tons per acre.
The best stage to cut sweetclover for hay is at bud to early blossom. A stubble of 8 to 12 inches is usually left to encourage regrowth. This is because regrowth comes from axillary buds on the stem instead of the crown.
Any cutting of biennial sweetclover the first year reduces root size and vigor the second year. Because of its high moisture content and its rank growth, curing is difficult.

Grazing​

Sweetclover is low in palatability because of its coumarin content, and animals tend to eat other vegetation before eating sweetclover. Animals can, however, adjust to it. Sweetclover also causes bloat and scouring, and may taint milk.
Despite these limitations, grazing animals can perform well on sweetclover. Grazing may begin when plants are 14 inches tall, but maintain a minimum height of 8 inches to allow rapid regrowth. Plants become woody and unproductive if allowed to reach bud stage before initiating grazing.

Interesting write up. Mine got grazed to the dirt last fall and made 7’ in the second year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m still on the “I don’t want my rye to be planted in early august via volunteer seeding” train because I don’t want it all steamy in late oct and on.

Unfortunately my Labor Day rye broadcast is looking like a fail because of no moisture.. might give it a second round but not sure I’ll have time or want to mess around in my plots now that season is open.

I’m still on the “I don’t want my rye to be planted in early august via volunteer seeding” train because I don’t want it all steamy in late oct and on.

Unfortunately my Labor Day rye broadcast is looking like a fail because of no moisture.. might give it a second round but not sure I’ll have time or want to mess around in my plots now that season is open.
Ehh, I was just out there yesterday on opening day of all things and I put down 300# of rye and some more crimson clover. There is light to moderate pressure early in the season and I'm not too worried about moving deer too bad.

I'm lucky. After a long, hard drought, I planted anyway. Since planting 116 lbs of rye / acre and some clovers, brassicas and chicory......I have caught three rainfalls of about 1" total. All have germinated to an extent now.....but could use anther shot of rain in the next few days to really make my fall crop thrive. Been rain short all summer. Never know what Mother Nature will do to you or for you. Can be a frustrating game for sure. Sadly.....About all you can do is provide the best chance for success .....and let the chips fall where they may. Most often (somehow) it will all work out. Tho.....here are those other times too. Good luck!

Not much changing right now. I did pick up a slow inch of rain yesterday. I've got high hopes with the warm temps in the forecast and that rain, my rye and barley can get some growing done. Would really like to see my barley get a seed head going before it quits.

clover.jpg

I checked over the plot again this weekend. I’ve got some stunting going on with my forage barley out in the main plot. The only reason I know that is because I have a spot where I hauled in topsoil to fill a hole. The hole area has 16” barley ready to start pushing a seed head. The rest isn’t 9” I bet, and no heads showing.

I think it’s just too thick between the balansa and chicory. Any open pockets between all of that has lots of grain and flax. The flax is doing great though. Very tall, and good subsoiler.

I checked over the plot again this weekend. I’ve got some stunting going on with my forage barley out in the main plot. The only reason I know that is because I have a spot where I hauled in topsoil to fill a hole. The hole area has 16” barley ready to start pushing a seed head. The rest isn’t 9” I bet, and no heads showing.

I think it’s just too thick between the balansa and chicory. Any open pockets between all of that has lots of grain and flax. The flax is doing great though. Very tall, and good subsoiler.

Wow. Intersting that you ponder a small "hole" in your plots. I got no time to ponder that. As the auctioneer says: "Yes or no.....gotta go.".....next!

Still not much to report. Maybe I had mentioned I think I’ve got some stunting going on because I can’t find any barley stretching out. It’s for sure happening. What I don’t know is if it’s crowded or allelopathy. I’m gonna go with crowded because it is very thick out there.

Anyway, here’s an up close of the main plot. Can’t see any obvious signs of barley.

99994617577b5cedc7c10ca6e23f223c.jpg

Where I had to bring in 7 skidder buckets of topsoil to fill a mystery hole, the barley looks great. It did have a couple week head start, so maybe the main plot barley could catch up yet.

c89ac4eb428a4419bbf4a37c56cb7ab0.jpg

Tell me about barley SD. I’ve never tried it

Tell me about barley SD. I’ve never tried it
It's just cereal forage, but it's got a few unique points that make me like it:

*Quickest to produce a seed head of the cereals
*Best suited for dry conditions
*Awnless (if you get the awnless variety)
*Affordable

Forage barley is a rescue crop for farm lands that have gone salty/saline/sodic. It's a big deal in the Dakotas among farmers that need it, and that helps keep the cost down. It's not gonna be a massive tonnage producer, but it will out-yield rye in the fall, and that's why I add it. I've got a short window to get tonnage out of my cereals, and I really want that doughy seed head before temps drop enough to halt growth. It will winter kill by me, and the rye will take over in the spring to hold the weeds down.

In that spot above with the seed heads, there's rye in there too, and it's clear the rye isn't as tall. No knock on rye, it's just that everything has a role, and rye is for November forage and spring/summer weed suppression. Barley is for fall tonnage.

And it gives you a wide window if you can't forecast when the heat will turn off 80 days from planting. If there is no seed head at all, the deer can eat the whole plant. If there is a seed head and it's doughy, they can eat the whole plant. If it goes all the way to maturity, they'll still eat the seed head, and you get to keep the straw.