The Sandbox

I think I read you and Stu talking about a " Pillsbury Crab ". What is that, Bur ?? Is it any of the above grafts ?? ^^^^

One of my Pillsbury crabs did not take after all. I need to look at both of them.

Stu found it in a ditch over near his house and it holds crab apples into spring time -if my memory is correct.

^^^Pillsbury crab is just what I call a wild crab that I found down the road aways. It has bloomed and been loaded with fruit every year since I've been here. Fruit is nearly ping pong ball sized, yellow/green most of the year and turning orange in the fall. Fruit hangs on the tree well into spring, zero idea how it tastes (I should pick a couple and try them this year). Its relatively close to a couple homes, so I grabbed scion wood and took off :oops:

I had to bail Stu out for that one.

Just kidding.....
I have found another rootstock crab that was holding fruit up until April Fool's day. I think I have one of these grafts that took. (called Fool's Dog).

These trees might be a little late at holding fruit to be of much value for deer, except during a late winter. If they shed a few apples all winter, that is great.

^ you apple tree guys are possessed. ;)

^ you apple tree guys are possessed. ;)
Can't argue about that.

I think we need to name a crabapple after foggy. Maybe call it Rain Dance Deluge.

^^^Pillsbury crab is just what I call a wild crab that I found down the road aways. It has bloomed and been loaded with fruit every year since I've been here. Fruit is nearly ping pong ball sized, yellow/green most of the year and turning orange in the fall. Fruit hangs on the tree well into spring, zero idea how it tastes (I should pick a couple and try them this year). Its relatively close to a couple homes, so I grabbed scion wood and took off :oops:
I was slitting the rubber band/grafting tape and broke the new growth off of the Pillsbury crab. I hope the Pillsbury graft on the back corner is doing OK.

View from the stand. I'm not sure if the corn will be mature enough or not. There are a few rows of beans in there, also.

1435069422422.jpg 1435069443702.jpg

I clipped the small area to the left of the corn. Maybe a place for some rye?

1435073635501.jpg

Bur is getting lazy and used the riding lawn mower for this deer trail.

1435072973935.jpg 1435073164666.jpg

Tag alder clearcut from a few years ago.

1435072749511.jpg 1435073009632.jpg That is a flowering crab on the right.

IMG_20150623_102221.jpg

Maybe some success, here.

IMG_20150623_100616.jpg IMG_20150623_100745.jpg

I say practical. There are no points for working hard.
I liked the narrow trails for keeping 4 wheelers off of the land, but have not really had any problems with them on the place where I live.

You have some nice thick cover there, Bur. I like the spruce along your trail, too. The deer around where I hunt LOVE spruce for cover. View from the stand is real nice.

I was slitting the rubber band/grafting tape and broke the new growth off of the Pillsbury crab. I hope the Pillsbury graft on the back corner is doing OK.
The Pillsbury crab graft on the back corner is nearly shoulder high!
Whitney grafts are probably second fastest growing.

The Chestnut Crab scion that you sent me has about 18 inches of growth! Out of all of the bark grafts, it is the tallest! I cut off all of the nurse branches, so it should really start flying now!

Glad to hear the Pillsbury is growing well for you :) I haven't checked on mine for quite awhile, I need to do so. Whitney has grown quickly for me
I even have a tiny bit of green on the broken off Pillsbury crab. One other native crab is growing well. It is a 2 inch crab that drops late. October to mid Nov.

Luscious pear planted 2010.

IMG_20150628_130705.jpg

I took it out and should have taken this one out also.

1435514854896.jpg

Maybe Dipper getting dead pear rootstock is a godsend!