The Sandbox

I started a rubbing tree/scrape tree from HP. Should I cut the top back or remove more buds from the top?

IMG_9301.JPG

I have about 2 feet in the ground. The frost is gone at this spot.

^^ Back, on track. I think the next "land tour" should include a camping and beer tasting event. That-a-way we could stay up late around the campfire as we judged beer flavors and practice the rain-dance moves.....while discussing politics, QDMA, and deer conspiracy theory - ad-nasuem. ;) Oughta be a hoot. :D

I'll cut it back a bit. I removed lots of limbs.

Stu-I put it in that rye patch we we walked a week ago or so. I also dropped a couple of trees to close that deer trail that was to the west.

Frost is not out in lots of other areas.

I ain't look'n forward to any of foggy's dance moves if he only wears that loin cloth, but we could use the rain.

His rain dance might replace the turtle races in downtown Nisswa.

Rumors are that he returned and we might get our first storm tomorrow!

Everything is planted in the Sandbox.

These rental acres are in triticale, peas, and alfalfa!IMG_9353.JPG

If we can escape a frost, there should be plenty of apples.IMG_9333.JPGIMG_9334.JPG

Here is a group planting of seedling crab apples.
deer ex 4.jpg

Ther are plums and crab apples in there.crabs and plums.jpg

That is awesome Art! You are going to have some fat deer!

Art, your orchards look amazing. LOTS of potential fruit there!!!

In a few years Turkey Creek might have some Big Dog crabs available. It is a disease free, 2 inch crab that drops from late October and well into winter. It used to be called the garden crab or rootstock crab. big dog garden.jpg

The back field is planted to corn and beans.
IMG_9336.JPG

As is the T shaped plot by my house. There is a waterhole, back right in this picture.

IMG_9358.JPG

You had a busy weekend as well. Nice work!

Now is the time to look for wild crabs.funk's wild apple.jpg

This wild apple is also on the neighbor's fenceline and it needs to be released.

wild apple.jpg

You had a busy weekend as well. Nice work!

The field work was all done by a great neighbor!

The field work was all done by a great neighbor!
We put beans in two rows on the corn planter. In some places there should be 4 rows of beans and then more corn.

I have attemptedIMG_9335.JPG cleft grafts on some of the seedling crabs.

No bragging, yet, but I have some hope.

Now is the time to look for wild crabs.View attachment 4964

This wild apple is also on the neighbor's fenceline and it needs to be released.

View attachment 4965

I'm getting up to my property this weekend to check. It'll be a bit harder because everything will be green, but they should still be blossoming!

Great looking piece of country you have there, Bur !! Fields and fruit trees look REAL nice. I hope you get a good year for fruit.

I dug mine up last fall and moved it to another location. It hadn't grown much at all...I think due to being in too heavy/damp soil. It appears to have survived the transplanting, but no blossoms so far.

I was worried that my tree was in too wet of a location, but finally some blossoms.