The Sandbox

I really like that photo, Art. The colors, lighting, fresh snow, rubs framed well, all just make it a really nice photo. Over the years, I've developed an appreciation for "good" photography and that is what that photo is.
Just luck, Steve. Even a blind squirrle finds an acorn every once in awhile.

Nice crab trees you have there Bur. I've said it before, but boy I love the look of your ground with the tags and spruce on it and crabs sprinkled around. If your land was transplanted to my camp's area - it would be a hot-bed of deer activity / bedding. Your place just looks DEER - Y !!
I feel that I have the best habitat in 4 or 5 sections, mainly because so much of the surrounding land is crop land.

Just a neat picture and an old Jack Pine Savage trick I learned from my Dad.

We have an older garage where the last of some calf feed was stored and also household garbage goes in plastic barrels until we go to the landfill. Some rats had moved in on the calf feed.

As a kid, My Dad used to lift me up to look out the window in the door to see the weasel in the attached garage. He said leaving the deer heads in the garage kept the weasel around all winter and the mice would not be a problem.

So this fall, I moved our deer heads to the old garage where grain/garbage was stored. A weasel moved in for a while. His bigger cousin likes it there, also.

IMG_9286.JPG

Who needs a cat when you have got a native?

Last edited:
Super cool!!!:cool:

That is a neat trick. Great pic. I wouldn't try to pet that one though.:)

My parents had a weasel living in the house for the winter around 6 years ago. No mouse issues the whole winter. Nobody minded it too much, until one morning my sister said she woke up and felt something on her arm, when she looked over the weasel was standing on her arm staring at her! It got a bit too friendly for her.

Do you have martin around you Bur ?? I thought you were surrounded by ag. Martins like big woods, right ?? If that's a mink - it's a fatty !!

Art's a bit far south for martin. Could be a fisher.

No martin down here. I have only seen martin in NE Mn. I have seen an occasional fisher down here.

this is a mink. I squeaked like a mouse with my lips and he would come back and peak at me. I got 5 or 6 pictures of him.

Super cool!

We had a "pet" least weasel for awhile. I witnessed it catch and eat several mice. Lets just say if your a mouse and there is a weasel around your already dead! Those things are lightening quick and deadly on mice!

Just a neat picture and an old Jack Pine Savage trick I learned from my Dad.

We have an older garage where the last of some calf feed was stored and also household garbage goes in plastic barrels until we go to the landfill. Some rats had moved in on the calf feed.

As a kid, My Dad used to lift me up to look out the window in the door to see the weasel in the attached garage. He said leaving the deer heads in the garage kept the weasel around all winter and the mice would not be a problem.

So this fall, I moved our deer heads to the old garage where grain/garbage was stored. A weasel moved in for a while. His bigger cousin likes it there, also.

View attachment 4431

Who needs a cat when you have got a native?
That guy just posed for the picture for you? That's a mind blower. On our place, if the cats and dogs couldn't take care of it, we did. Interesting jack pine savagery for sure.

Cool pic for sure.

It's a first for me. I've been close to mink out along streams and swamps, but I never saw or heard of one in a building !! Always something good at the Sandbox. Cool pic !!

Looks like he may have pee'd on the floor Art. You should litter box train your staff.

Nice thread, it was fun looking at all the pictures.

Looks like he may have pee'd on the floor Art. You should litter box train your staff.
Maybe it wasn't the staff??

Chupaca......never mind, fisher it was then.;):eek::D

My wife and I saw what we believe to be a fisher today. Just down the road about a 1/4 mile. No other critter fits the description of what we saw.

I heard Bat Man makes some cat-like moves at times. ;)

lol
The "real" chupacabra was some critter we saw here the first winter. The thing was as big as our golden retriever, black, and moved similar to an otter. Unless it was a wolverine...I have zero idea what the heck it was.
I takes your system awhile to adjust to good Minnesota beer. After you learn to handle it, you do not see those things!

I say this as I just finished a Spotted Cow.