The Sandbox

Bur - what do you mean by " 5 of each rootstock? " Roots like B-118, MM-111, M-7, etc. ? Or are you talking roots like Ranetka, Columbia, Dolgo, etc.?

The wheels have been turning in my head for awhile now. I am taking my apple addiction to a whole new level!:) I have been researching through GRIN and some other sources to begin the mad scientist approach to finding and creating a line of highly disease resistant, cold hardy, crabapple varieties that will drop from August through at least November. Seems like the early portion of the season is covered well, but readily available choices drop off significantly as the fall progresses.

Go for it! What is that old saying? 'Create a better crabapple and the world will beat a path to your door.' Or something like that. ;)

Oh BTW, Appleman found a chance seedling on his property that tested out great for a cider apple. Anyways he is having it grown by ACN, I think and is getting some pretty good royalties! It's going to be available in 2017 or 18, and called Franklin Cider apple. For hard cider right now Art, the cider makers are using just about anything, but are paying a little more for some better testing bitter sharps and such. The market is really taking off here in Vt., I here there is a couple real good cider makers out there too.

The wheels have been turning in my head for awhile now. I am taking my apple addiction to a whole new level!:) I have been researching through GRIN and some other sources to begin the mad scientist approach to finding and creating a line of highly disease resistant, cold hardy, crabapple varieties that will drop from August through at least November. Seems like the early portion of the season is covered well, but readily available choices drop off significantly as the fall progresses.
I wish you were closer. I would like to see crabapples that are zione 3 hardy with drop times that would cover 8 or more months. I think it can be doen and some of these wild trees work for late season.

Bur - what do you mean by " 5 of each rootstock? " Roots like B-118, MM-111, M-7, etc. ? Or are you talking roots like Ranetka, Columbia, Dolgo, etc.?

Perhaps I didnto explain my thinking very well.

I would think at least ten of each rootstock that is grown from seed should be planted due to the variability fo seedlings. Are ranetka, columbia, and dolgo rootstock grown from seed?

the way I understand things is that clonal rootstock should all be the same tree and same fruit size. Perhaps 2 or 3 of those would be enough to see what they produce for apples and drop time, etc.

What do you have for native crabs and when do they drop?

Do you see those wild crabs in the prairie areas or in the river bottoms with more moisture?

Do the prairie crabs seem to be shorter or bushier? I just suspect wind leads to a different type of tree in the exposed sites and that more dry periods might also affect tree size/growth.

We dont have any wild crab apples here, at least none that I know of. My intentions are to get scions from various crabapples that GRIN has, as well as other sources. Even some other large apples that show good disease resistance and different drop times and then do some cross pollination experimenting. We are talking about several years if not longer to come up with a variety that fills a certain window. There might be certain apples that already exsist we just dont know about them because the vast majority of experimenting has a different objective than us wildlife guys have. Unfortunately even on GRIN the descriptions are either not very thorough or are lacking all together. You are right though that growing locations likely will affect affect the growth habit and other factors of a certain variety. Obviously there will be a need for testing at the "Sandbur Research Station" and "Crazy Ed Research Station" at some point! :D

I am going to do some more research on the apple breeding programs to see if I can find some hidden gems, speed up my expeimenting process, and just increase my overall knowledge.

Way to go TC !! That's a good project to get into for wildlife folks' sake. Lots of guys may benefit from finding a late dropping crab or 2.

I saw 3 fawns and a doe on my place the other day. I believe that is the first deer I have seen in the daylight since Nov. deer season. They were eating some kale that I left standing in the garden.IMG_9249.JPG

The deer are also picking up crab apples under the rootstock (garden ) crab.

IMG_9250.JPG

I found 2 or 3 turnip bulbs that had been eaten in the foodplot and also a few beet tops were nibbled on. They had not been touched up until this point. 160 acres of corn that was 1/2 mile away came out and that could have made the difference.

How many years has the garden crab been in the ground? How tall is it now?

How many years has the garden crab been in the ground? How tall is it now?
It was here when I bought the place and during one winter died back to ground level. That would be almost 30 years ago. I had some regrowth from below the graft and trimmed it back to one sucker.

I cannot remember what year it died back but probably within the first 3 years we were here.

Gotta love to see signs of life in this brutal time of year for us northerners.

Morse bunches red still holding crab apples of about 1/2 inch size.

IMG_9254.JPG

I have some seedling crabs that I like better.
The crab apples are a bit bigger. this is the first time this tree had apples.

IMG_9263.JPG

I have a couple of these trees where the crabapples run up to about 1 inch in size.

IMG_9182.JPG

These pictures are on another thread, but added here.

Small tag alder clearcut after one years growth.

Reed canary grass has came back.IMG_9260.JPG

Rubs on the deer trail leading in and out of the clearcut.

IMG_9261.JPG IMG_9256.JPG

Well you must have at least one deer with antlers left in your neck of the woods.:)

These rubs were probably from before my wife and I killed two bucks. She shot a 2.5 and let the yearling buck walk.

Rubs on the deer trail leading in and out of the clearcut.

View attachment 4190

I really like that photo, Art. The colors, lighting, fresh snow, rubs framed well, all just make it a really nice photo. Over the years, I've developed an appreciation for "good" photography and that is what that photo is.

Nice crab trees you have there Bur. I've said it before, but boy I love the look of your ground with the tags and spruce on it and crabs sprinkled around. If your land was transplanted to my camp's area - it would be a hot-bed of deer activity / bedding. Your place just looks DEER - Y !!