The Home 70

What was the name of the NRCS program you used for the drainage crossing?
It was through the EQIP program and labeled "stream crossing" or "heavy use crossing" program 561 or 575.

My area was deemed to be a wetland which complicates things a little bit, but ultimately the area disturbed just had to be limited in sq footage to fall within the guidelines.

That's a great looking place, I can't believe I haven't seen this land tour until now. What CRP program did you go with? I know that some of them allow 10% to be placed into food plots, which make them pretty appealing.

What kind of change did you see as you went from mostly tillable into more CRP? I'm assuming your pheasant numbers increased, but do you hold more deer during the fall with CRP than before? Your place reminds me of my SE MN place that we purchased last year. My long term plan is to convert some of the tillable into CRP, but I wanted to hunt it a couple years as it is first before I make too many changes.

That's a great looking place, I can't believe I haven't seen this land tour until now. What CRP program did you go with? I know that some of them allow 10% to be placed into food plots, which make them pretty appealing.

What kind of change did you see as you went from mostly tillable into more CRP? I'm assuming your pheasant numbers increased, but do you hold more deer during the fall with CRP than before? Your place reminds me of my SE MN place that we purchased last year. My long term plan is to convert some of the tillable into CRP, but I wanted to hunt it a couple years as it is first before I make too many changes.
For a variety of reasons I chose not to enroll my land into a CRP program, it is just planted as though it was in the program. Mostly the reasons are due to the inability for the county employees to get me answers and design my field/layout to my satisfaction. The mixes I planted were CP-2, CP-25, and CP-42.
The flexibility that not having the ~8 acres in, which allowed me to plant shrubs/conifers to my liking, is better than the money they were going to pay me.

I am enrolling ~12.5 acres into CRP on my other property down the road this year, which I'm looking forward to. The money offered was more than the farmer rent and should be better overall habitat than monoculture corn and beans. In that entry I was able to get the 10% food plot, which was a factor in me enrolling.

Yes, the pheasant numbers are doing well. The deer have responded as well to more season long cover. Even with the mild winter last year I had great numbers of deer on my property as well as lots of daylight activity from a particular mature buck that I wasn't able to capitalize on. He's still around, so hopefully it works out this season.

Last edited:
The local USDA rep told me that the current CRP average in my county is $230/acre, which is better than I'm getting from rent. I think it would be good to eventually have a good mix of both CRP and cropland on each property, but I haven't determined yet what to plant where.

My long term plan involves taking an acre or two out of production for a shelterbelt on a south facing slope. That should be a big draw in winter for both pheasants and deer.

The local USDA rep told me that the current CRP average in my county is $230/acre, which is better than I'm getting from rent. I think it would be good to eventually have a good mix of both CRP and cropland on each property, but I haven't determined yet what to plant where.

My long term plan involves taking an acre or two out of production for a shelterbelt on a south facing slope. That should be a big draw in winter for both pheasants and deer.
The variability in payment on crop ground can be vast. My home property they offered $160/acre and a few miles down the road they are paying me $300/acre plus incentives. Hard to turn that down.

What CRP program do you have for the $300/acre field? I know when I enrolled into CRP at my house the pollinator options paid more, but I'm a little hesitant to go with any plan that requires burning since I don't want to burn down the neighborhood. I went with CP2 I believe, and I'm impressed with it for deer and pheasant cover.

What CRP program do you have for the $300/acre field? I know when I enrolled into CRP at my house the pollinator options paid more, but I'm a little hesitant to go with any plan that requires burning since I don't want to burn down the neighborhood. I went with CP2 I believe, and I'm impressed with it for deer and pheasant cover.
The sign up sheet says "SAFE-MN back forty pheasant habitat"
CP-38E

The sign up sheet says "SAFE-MN back forty pheasant habitat"
CP-38E
That's a nice looking program. How long is your contract and do you have to burn or mow the acreage for the maintenance portion?

10 year. Mid term maintenance was burn or mow.

Incentives equated to nearly another year's full payment. I enrolled 12.79 acres.