The Grafting Binge Continues

Nice! Do you know what the final cost will be with shipping?

I bet you could have quite a side line (i.e. cash money :)) selling fruit trees in a couple years.

I need a bigger nursery (garden). That's my main limitation right now. And i've been focused on getting all my trees planted on the farm first. Farm first, extra circulars second. Sooner or later i wont have room for more trees at the farm either though i guess.

Nice! Do you know what the final cost will be with shipping?

No, they give you an estimate only. They dont bill until actual shipping, and at that point the calculate the weight of your order and you are charged accordingly. My estimate is $35 for freight, $16 for handling. $183.60 total.

Which size did you order?

I'm right there with you Matt. Just put in my order with Cummins a couple of days ago. 75 B118's and 25 G30's for around the house.

Couldn't help myself, I just ordered 100 B.118 rootstocks from Williamette Nursery for this spring.

Ok, I'll bite, why did you choose Williamette?

Ok, I'll bite, why did you choose Williamette?

I have received their catalog for quite a few years now I figured i would give them a try. Also $1.30/root vs $2.25/root @ 100qty vs Cummin's. I have been and still consider myself a very loyal Cummin's customer, the only reason I am not buying these roots from them is to save myself a few bucks. Seem's reasonable since I just spent $3k in orchard planting supplies. :)

Legit enough reason for sure, $100 less, more or less 'same' product?.....

I'm right there with you Matt. Just put in my order with Cummins a couple of days ago. 75 B118's and 25 G30's for around the house.

You are about as crazy as I am grey! I like it. If you need any scions from me please let me know this winter.

Cummins very likely gets their rootstock from Williamette or another west coast supplier.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Yes. Same rootstock. Cummins had a number of Willamette crates there when I picked up my order.

Of course I already made a huge list of what I think I want to graft. Yet I have barely even looked at the GRIN site yet so the list is sure to change. I will continue to focus on crabapples and disease resistant varieties with a few oddballs mixed in.

You know a guy can order 1 or 2 rootstocks instead of 100...right? :)

Well, you can't from Willamette. You can only buy in bundles of 50 from them :)

Yep...but there are many places where you can buy them individually. Obviously more expensive, but for a guy who only wants to do a couple...you can. I order a handful of pear rootstocks each year.

I can't successfully graft a pear for the life of me.

I'm not seeing B.118 or Antonovka from Cummins online. Should I email them and ask?

I'm not seeing B.118 or Antonovka from Cummins online. Should I email them and ask?

It was on there a few days ago when I ordered mine. Strange.

I emailed with Steve recently, he said B118 is on hand, He didn't answer about Antonovka when I questioned the availability but did mention the other hybrid P18.

I emailed with Steve recently, he said B118 is on hand, He didn't answer about Antonovka when I questioned the availability but did mention the other hybrid P18.

I'd be fine with P.18. From what I've heard/read, it's every bit as good as Antonovka, with a bit better blight resistance.