The early bird gets the Hornet

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
After I rushed to order these, I did a bunch of research and found a publication from the University of KY and this cultivar was one not recommended for my state....LOL.

But, I will put them in the ground and hope for the best. I intend to plant them deep in the hopes they will root above the MM111 and I will get full sized trees. I did that with some trees last year, and they look incredibly good this spring.

My guess is that they are not recommended here because they show some disease which would limit their ornamental value. But if they are disease tolerant enough to make fruit and the health not be affected, I could care less what they look like.

The Waffler Nursery trees look great. Thanks to them.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-29_18-32-46.png
    upload_2017-3-29_18-32-46.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 24
After being told they weren't going to sell any this year and then they decided they were ok,mine shipped yesterday

Yep - deer aren't shopping for diamond rings when they're hungry. If they make fruit, you're good to go.

I planted two last year. About a month away from seeing if they survived their first winter. Even zone 4 trees are a crap shoot in my area so I eagerly await spring to see what failed and what can be planted going forward. I believe these are zone 5 but Cummins had hopes they could go much lower.

I have one (maybe 2) on dolgo seedlings and am impressed with their growth. They have not gone through a test winter yet. I might let them bloom this year. I had blossoms from first leaf after grafting, but kept pulling them off.

I put three in last week also on MM111, time will tell.

I got one on m111 we tbudded last fall so this will be it's first growing year

We didn't have our normal cold winter, only a couple -15 to -20. Mine appears to have made it through in great shape. Still a couple feet of snow but I pruned a couple branches off and tree is doing great above the snow.

I set part of these with graft above ground and part with graft well below ground. Will be interesting to watch.

I tried to plant mine at what appeared previous ground level and that placed the graft around 4 inches above the ground.I just planted yesterday should I replant.The graft is alot higher than most of the grafted trees I have planted

I tried to plant mine at what appeared previous ground level and that placed the graft around 4 inches above the ground.I just planted yesterday should I replant.The graft is alot higher than most of the grafted trees I have planted

No, you are fine going back to the previous ground level.

Mine too!

I did the same thing as you, yesterday I nipped off all the low stuff on everything the GH were really loaded from top to bottom.

Still waiting for mine to show. The rest of my trees have all arrived and been put in the ground. Guess I should give Wafflers a call.