The Adventures of CrazyED the beach sand guy

Cool links Kabic.

Couple notes I found about our land:

"Surface level and dry - Timber"
"Bastard Pine and Lac Oak"
"Soil Sandy Third Rate"

Bastard Pine has got to be Jack Pine :D. I'm calling them that from now on :cool:.

Thats funny right there bueller, we must have been typing those posts at the same time. Obviously they were not very impressed with our neighborhood.

Bastard Pine has got to be Jack Pine :D. I'm calling them that from now on :cool:.

From now on? I've been calling them far worse than that for 30+ years!:eek::D

Not sure who the forestry guys were that did the initial survey, but I think they were confused about what part of the country they were in. Here is what I found on a Google search.

jack oak - a common scrubby deciduous tree of central and southeastern United States having dark bark and broad three-lobed (club-shaped) leaves; tends to form dense thickets

Pinus × sondereggeri is the only named southern pine hybrid. Common names include Sonderegger pine and bastard pine. It is a naturally occurring cross between loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) and longleaf pine (Pinus palustris). It was originally described by H. H. Chapman (1922) who named it after its discoverer, V. H. Sonderegger, a state forester of Louisiana. This pine usually occurs singly or in small groups where both loblolly and longleaf pines overlap in range. Because the flowering of both parental trees usually occur at the same time of year, no phenological barrier exists, thus the two freely cross.

o_O:confused::confused::confused:

Ed-what was the native habitat in your area before the white man arrived? short grass prairie?

is there any record of the habitat changing with different tribes or the arrival of the horse

I don't want to step on Ed's toes here, but the reason central WI has such sandy soil is due to large glaciers that transformed the landscape only 20,000 years ago. You could say, Ed's lake and the lakes on my property are some of the lowest deposits of these glaciers. There was also huge deposits of organic matter in the region. The cool thing is I'm probably 60 miles from Ed, that's the scale of what these glaciers were. Our soil is really young, so it hasn't had the millions of years to build organic matter.

That large glacial sheet eventaully turned into a massive lake. Many parts of centeral WI were under over 100' of water. That water eventaully was able to drain...that how the Wisconsin River was born( those canyons in WI Dells used to be the dam), I also believe the black river took water west. Some of that water also got into the ground, so we have a glacial lake of sorts below us. In some locations the water table is only 5' down.

That's how we can farm now. You don't need organic matter when you irrigate every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
dipper, Glacial Lake Wisconsin covered over a million acres and deposited sands hundreds of feet deep in some areas, it is not surprising at all that you have soil types similar to what we have in Juneau and Adams Co. We do have it a bit worse in the southern regions of the old lake bed, as the sand is typically deepest in those areas. Castle Rock and Petenwell Flowages and their associated dams are very unique and the first of their kind in the US. They are considered a "floating" type construction, those dams are not anchored to bedrock in any way, they just sit on top of the sand and are anchored in place by deep piers that descend down into the glacial sand deposits. Kind of crazy really. As one travels east toward Ed's area, you get into more of the glacial moraine type areas, which can have more varied soils than the main lakebed, especially in lower areas. More rocks and more depressions that filled in with silts, clays, and deposits other than sand, even though the subsoil is still primarily sandy in makeup. Scientists are already assessing the groundwater/irrigation changes in the Central Sands region and are using the data as a conceptual model for the rest of the Midwest and other highly irrigated areas with highly permeable soils.

I assume Prairie / Savannah type of some sort but I guess I don't really know for sure.
does your Dad have any ideas formt he native plants that are present?

I worked for a surveyor during my college days. Those field notes form the original government surveys were used to relocate section corners-before GPS. The notes were very good at indicating the original environs due to descriptions of bearing trees. In more prairie areas, oak stakes were sometimes used.

Swamp White Oak planted during the drought of 2012 looking pretty good.
CameraZOOM-20140607081140633.jpg

Native Warm Season Grasses making their way up!
CameraZOOM-20140607081146364.jpg

3rd Leaf Wolf River B.118
CameraZOOM-20140607081654088.jpg

3rd leaf Honeycrisp B.118
CameraZOOM-20140607081727604.jpg

Summercrisp Pear - OHxF87 or F97 I would have to check my records. I'm letting this one go a bit more rogue with the training and pruning since everyone claims you don't have to do anything with Pears.
CameraZOOM-20140607082111367.jpg

Flemish Beauty Pear. I had to fasten this one to the conduit to keep it straight.
CameraZOOM-20140607082122947.jpg

3rd Leaf Kerr on B.118 showing it's first fruit.
CameraZOOM-20140607083037369.jpg

Prairie Spy B.118 (grafted last may)
CameraZOOM-20140607092746884.jpg

3rd Leaf Centennial Crab B.118 with it's first fruit
CameraZOOM-20140607082428319.jpg

Hinge Cutting Madness
CameraZOOM-20140607094236136.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140607094256903.jpg

Happiness
CameraZOOM-20140607095201702.jpg

Brushpile Bur Oak. Planted during the drought of 2012.
CameraZOOM-20140607111948007.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140607111957294.jpg

Here's another Brushpile Bur
CameraZOOM-20140607112031623.jpg

The big destination food source adjacent to our land has been in AlfAlfa around 10 years, this year it's corn. 60-80 acres worth. We saw deer out here in broad daylight snacking away, twice today.
CameraZOOM-20140607112256116.jpg

Very nice pictures. Your oak and fruit tree plantings look like they are doing very well.

That hinge looking down into the draw looks awesome, nice work ED.

Wow. 3rd leaf fruit on those B118's, I'm impressed. They must like that beach sand. All your trees are looking healthy.

Wow. 3rd leaf fruit on those B118's, I'm impressed. They must like that beach sand. All your trees are looking healthy.

thanks. yeah everything looked great but my 3rd leaf Roxbury russet. I did not see evidence but I think tent caterpillars hammered it even though it was sprayed about 2 weeks ago. it was the only tree that did not look great, it was fair.

Ed- the deer often move into the cornfields just after the 4 th of July for me. As soon as the corn creates cover and shade.

See if that happens for you.

This area was basically park like woods - very open understory prior to hinge cutting. This was taken a couple weeks after we hinge cut the area in 2012

IMG_1330.JPG

Yesterday, obviously a bit further along in the growing season but still you can see the area has been totally transformed. Tons of woody browse and cover
CameraZOOM-20140607094256903.jpg