test your antler scoring skill!

I want an OFFICIAL score - not my opinion influenced score. I know far too many hunters that claim, "I measured it myself" - yep - that is what concerns me!

I will agree I could always use an extra few inches......and it can make it much more "meaningful" as well..

Timber - you must be drinking again or been spending too much time looking at that dress!:D And yes I saw the "funny".

Haven't had a drink in a couple weeks, and the dress never got my attention as it's obviously a poorly exposed image, but there are 6 antlers there!

A big rack doesn't make a deer any better at avoiding getting shot, or really mean anything to anyone but a subset of hunters. Older deer can be bad rack growers just like younger ones can make huge bone - luck of the gene pool. Folks talk about not shooting hoss deer because they broke a beam and wouldn't "book" - and this makes you feel manly at the bar?

I don't get it. It's like your serial killers trying to fill out a preconceived collection. That's not hunting to me.

j-bird...point lengths (or your guesses of) plus 90 inches (or 80 according to NoFo) for an 8 ptr. or plus 100 inches (or 90 according to NoFo) for a 10 ptr.(or more) = total score.

On the 8 ptr with known score, my guess would be 4+5.5+7+6+9+9+90(or 80) = 130.5 (or 120.5)

I see! Learned something new today! I'll pull the score sheets when I get a chance and see how it works out in detail. As for your estimation for the test subject #1 - he came in at 129 3/8" gross & 123 1/8" net. So if your est are close it works pretty well.

What is funny is that test subject #2 scored 141 6/8" gross and only 119 3/8 net - the "turkey foot" point on the deer's left side is considered abnormal and as such it is a deduction - as a result then so is the point on the opposite side. It's funny how deductions change things. I have a 4 year old 10 point that scores lower than a 3 year old 8 point when it boils down to it - go figure.

Really doesn't matter - both made my little heart go pitter-patter when I saw them - no hesitation on my part - BOOM!

Maybe I need to start passing these deer - you know let them "grow up" :rolleyes: Nope - I don't see that happening!!!!:D

OK so I was able to dig out the score sheet's.

Test subject #1 - official point lengths = 3 6/8, 7 6/8, 9, 5 3/8, 6 7/8 & 8 3/8 = 41 1/8 ~41" + 80" or 90" = 121"/131" (official was 129 3/8)

Test subject #2 - official point lengths = 4 6/8, 7 6/8, 6, 4 6/8, 6, 7 7/8, 6 4/8 & 6 5/8 = 50 3/8 ~ 50" + 90" or 100" = 140"/150" (official was 141 6/8)

Sooooo if I use the 80 for 8 pointers and 90 for 10 pointers it works out really well! Who would have thunk it?

I've never heard of this method before and I've never been worth a darn at scoring. Now I can at least get in the ballpark. Thanks guys, and nice bucks j-bird!

Now I know why I sucked at accounting.

Yep, works quite well. Again mature Mainframe 8, add 80 to tine length. mainframe 10, add 90 to tine length. Avoids ground shrink. I am surprised You found a bc scorer to take the time and score them. I helped my Dad who was a py scorer due many, it takes time for official and some guys would walk in with 80 inch whitetails or 200 inch bulls and we had to kindly explain why they would not be close. Most guys 30 years ago just had no idea. Now we can download the form and get close enough for handgrenades.

November - you hunt with handgrenades!!!!!! Is that considered a primitive weapon or is there a special season for those in your state!:D

Yep - close enough for me! Now I just got to be able to figure out what 6" looks like......... hey it's cold out when I hunt most of the time :D

I took a tape and eyeballed it to the bucks in question and used you method and we will see how close they come as well. So far your method has made me a believer. The interesting thing will be to see how it accounts for mass.

I take them to a show where they score them for free - I don't expect them to make the book - wasn't my objective. I had one as small as roughly 97" scored - again just so I had a visual reference as to what ~ 100" looks like. The guys who score them for me always are real cool explaining why things are scored the way they are - like the "turkey foot" point deduction and it's impact - they had quite the pow-wow over that one. I'm sure some guys get all upset when their "Booner" turns out to come up short - life sucks.....get over it - if it's about the score you need a different hobby!

What makes me who I am has NOTHING to do with my name in some book! Someday - those deer mounts will just collect dust and the names, dates, stories and scores will be long forgotten. My habitat work, shared knowledge, passion for the outdoors, and memories of good times will hopefully live on in the hearts and minds of the friends and family I leave behind. Those are the things that make me who I am!

November - you hunt with handgrenades!!!!!! Is that considered a primitive weapon or is there a special season for those in your state!:D

Yep - close enough for me! Now I just got to be able to figure out what 6" looks like......... hey it's cold out when I hunt most of the time :D

I took a tape and eyeballed it to the bucks in question and used you method and we will see how close they come as well. So far your method has made me a believer. The interesting thing will be to see how it accounts for mass.

I take them to a show where they score them for free - I don't expect them to make the book - wasn't my objective. I had one as small as roughly 97" scored - again just so I had a visual reference as to what ~ 100" looks like. The guys who score them for me always are real cool explaining why things are scored the way they are - like the "turkey foot" point deduction and it's impact - they had quite the pow-wow over that one. I'm sure some guys get all upset when their "Booner" turns out to come up short - life sucks.....get over it - if it's about the score you need a different hobby!

What makes me who I am has NOTHING to do with my name in some book! Someday - those deer mounts will just collect dust and the names, dates, stories and scores will be long forgotten. My habitat work, shared knowledge, passion for the outdoors, and memories of good times will hopefully live on in the hearts and minds of the friends and family I leave behind. Those are the things that make me who I am!

J-bird the 6 inch part is easy. An adult deer's ear is 6 inches

J-bird the 6 inch part is easy. An adult deer's ear is 6 inches

OOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!:D

I'll have to make sure my wife doesn't know that!

OOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!:D

I'll have to make sure my wife doesn't know that!

I could of said something else but I kept it clean.:D

That is why I like a number - regardless of points, spread, mass or otherwise a number is hard to argue with. I prefer the gross score as well - but that is just me. I figure if the deer grew it - it should count.

When you say 114 you mean 114 NET correct? I just don't see how it could be 114 gross.

I'll take your word for it - but I'm with smsmith - I would have argued all day that a number that low wasn't possible on that buck

Take a 4 lb. walleye, hang him with 4lb. test and have a guy stand 20 feet back lining up his hand with the mono. The walleye will look 20 lbs.
That isn't really fair November. We all know fishermen are liars!:D

I "looks" like that deer has 70+" of antler with just the main beams and the spread, not counting the tines and the mass.

I thought you would like that comment November (Mr. Mahi-mahi).

Nothing worse than a deceptively small rack!

Ok, I see your point with the "deceptive field shots", we have all seen our fair share of those in magazines and TV shows. My question is, how does an experienced taxidermist hold that buck in his hands and still think it will net book?

My question is, how does an experienced taxidermist hold that buck in his hands and still think it will net book?
= former used car salesman or political candidate!!!

Great point NoFo, I didn't think of it like that! Sneaky b*ast*rd! That's not very nice!

OK the results are in!

Deer #1 gross score 129 0/8" net score 124 7/8" No abnormal points - only 4 1/8" in deductions NoFo's est theory (base 80)= 124"

Deer #2 gross score 143 5/8" net score 131 6/8" 2 2/8" in abnormal points - total of 11 7/8" in deductions NoFo's est theory (base 90)= 139"

Deer #3 gross score 142 3/8" net score 130 6/8" 2 6/8" in abnormal points - total of 11 5/8" in deductions NoFo's est theory (base 90)= 137"

Last edited:
You've got your net and gross scores mixed up. Gross is the bigger score without deductions.

You've got your net and gross scores mixed up. Gross is the bigger score without deductions.
Yep - suffered from a dumbass attack - sorry! I'll edit it and fix it.

What was spread and tine length on deer #1?
spread = 16 1/8
rt beam =19 6/8
lt beam = 20 6/8
rt G1 = 5 5/8
rt G2 = 8 5/8
rt G3 = 7
lt G1 = 6 1/8
lt G2 = 8 2/8
lt G3 = 8 1/8

Thanks! Tough to tell from a pic sometimes.
That was sort of the point - lots of folks take a swing at scoring deer based on a photo and sometimes even with different angles it can be difficult. I just thought we could have some fun with it.

I'm pretty floored by NoFo's estimation theory however - not that I didn't believe him - I had just not seen it before and as long as you make decent estimates it's pretty close and plenty close enough while on the stand. Never know when you might learn something on this site.