T Budding apple trees

James P. Bipps

5 year old buck +
Has anyone t budded their apple trees yet? This is the general time frame. I have about 7 bud 118s planted and hope to find the time tomorrow or sometime in the next week.

I have a handful of 118 and 111 that didn't take this spring, and will be trying shortly as well. Is it ok to clip the top off aggressively growing, first year, successful grafts, to use as my buds? Several are 4 to 5 feet tall already.

This idea gives me the “heebeegeebeez”. I’m not saying it won’t work but my MO has always been PROTECT CENTRAL LEADER. But I have deer issues.

This idea gives me the “heebeegeebeez”. I’m not saying it won’t work but my MO has always been PROTECT CENTRAL LEADER. But I have deer issues.

That is true, but most the trees I've gotten from nurseries the past couple years are snipped off up top, so I'm not sure what the difference would be.

I have a handful of 118 and 111 that didn't take this spring, and will be trying shortly as well. Is it ok to clip the top off aggressively growing, first year, successful grafts, to use as my buds? Several are 4 to 5 feet tall already.
On mine last year I just took a bud straight from my new trees I wanted to propagate and slipped it in the the trees I wanted to bud graft.
Of course these were all in walking distance of one another.
I made a few this year about 3 weeks ago that are already growing too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

In late August, I'm planning to bud some failed whip & tongue grafts from this spring and also bud some rootstock that has been growing in the field a few years. What's the best diameter along the young tree's trunk to insert the bud at? Or should I be focusing first on locating last year's new wood and then pick an insertion point in that section? A few of the trees to be budded are pretty small caliper.

I have played around with this for a few years in small numbers. I have found “chip budding” to be the better option for me, I don’t worry as much about getting the timing just right.

http://irrecenvhort.ifas.ufl.edu/pl...ting/03-buddingtypes/02-grafting-budchip.html

It is interesting though, last year I chip budded 6 Chestnut Crabs and every single one took. I chip budded 3 Fireside Apples and not a single one took. I am convinced that if I do more this year I will do 2 buds in every rootstock to give me better odds.
This spring I cut the rootstock tops off and the growth from that one single bud is pretty darn impressive!

I've t-budded up to about a 1" diameter but the bark was starting to get too thick to easily fold out the flaps. Under 3/4" is easier.

The budwood arrived here earlier than I had planned on, but all my potted rootstock had been drenched by rains for a couple days beforehand and so the rootstock were well hydrated. I found the bark on the M.111 easier to open than the B.118, but eventually got them all double budded. I also had some M.111 root prunings that I stuck in potting mix this spring after pruning grafted whips to fit in pots, and left one inch of root pruning sticking out above the mix. Some of those root prunings had grown nice tops already, but not quarter inch caliper, so I budded to the exposed portion of the root. That bark slipped very easily.

Last edited:
I also budded onto some Arkansas Black whips and some Honeycrisp whips. The Arkansas Black was as easy to work with as the M.111 was. The Honeycrisp was a little more difficult, but not as difficult as the B.118.

Last edited:
I T-budded about 6 trees on Thursday. The ones that were well watered a couple days ahead of time were much easier to Tbud as the bark “slipped” better. This year I covered the Bud with one wrap of buddy tape.

I don't know whether one inch wide Parafilm is the optimum product or not, but I found it very easy to work with.

Last edited:
The Parafilm eventually decomposed around the bud grafts where I really stretched it for a tight seal -- good. Most of the buds have gotten plumper after implantation. A few buds have sent up new growth. I don't know if they are all successes, but I can tell you that all but one bud have fused to the whips I attached them to.