switchgrass alternative

MG = Miscanthus Giganteus.

Not that the internet is fact but here is a good link to start.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscanthus_giganteus

Several of us here use it and have grown it from cuttings or rhizomes mostly for some sort of screening or cover purpose. The deer show no interest in eating it and in a few years time you can easily get a wall of grass that is 6 to 10 feet tall. You will find at least a few threads here on the topic.

I planted 15000 Rhizomes this May over a long weekend with three people (we were wiped out after that), and now they are 3-4' tall. It wont be much cover this year, but so far they are looking good. I used to plant plotscreen every year and had to many failures due to lack of rain (growth) or snow and ice bending it over later in the season.

I planted 15000 Rhizomes this May over a long weekend with three people (we were wiped out after that), and now they are 3-4' tall. It wont be much cover this year, but so far they are looking good. I used to plant plotscreen every year and had to many failures due to lack of rain (growth) or snow and ice bending it over later in the season.
That is a lot of rhyzomes in 3 days, how'd you use them sceen, just in a field?

Yes it was too many to do in that short time. I put in three rows of them as screens along my access roads to blinds and around the blinds. I used a rototiller and attached three 2x4 boards spaced 18" apart. Cut the ends of the boards to a point so it made furrows. Then we dropped in the rhyzones and covered them with our feet and tamped them in a bit. It was a lot of work but I think it will pay off for years to come. Just sprayed them with 2-4d last weekend to get the broadleaf weeds. I did do a test spray the week before to make sure it wouldn't affect the MG, which it did not.

Wowzer bud, that is awesome man! I have looked into planting MG and found the cost unbearable for just a hundred or so. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the Rhizomes from? I would love to add this to my property but cost was the deterrent there.

I got them from Maple River farms and yes, it was quite an investment, but if you think of all the plot screen seed over the years and the time/ money it costs to fertilize and plant screens every year it makes sense. I have 700 acres I manage and time is a limited resource. I plant 30 acres of food plots with the biggest plot being 3 acres and planting them is time consuming. I had several years where the Frigid forage plotscreen did not do well enough or it was taken down by ice storms (usually laying into my trails). If you are limited on funds, maybe buy a dozen and plant them in a area you can dig up and then in a year or two dig them up, split them and plant them. Probably a lot of work to dig them and split them but it should work.

I got them from Maple River farms and yes, it was quite an investment, but if you think of all the plot screen seed over the years and the time/ money it costs to fertilize and plant screens every year it makes sense. I have 700 acres I manage and time is a limited resource. I plant 30 acres of food plots with the biggest plot being 3 acres and planting them is time consuming. I had several years where the Frigid forage plotscreen did not do well enough or it was taken down by ice storms (usually laying into my trails). If you are limited on funds, maybe buy a dozen and plant them in a area you can dig up and then in a year or two dig them up, split them and plant them. Probably a lot of work to dig them and split them but it should work.

That is good advice bud, thank you. I don't mind doing it the hard way, that is how I have done most of my habitat work.

I'd like to plant some MG but I have concerns with the fields next to where I plant them being organic.

So I am looking at pictures of MG on Maple River Farms website and maybe I am misidentifying this stuff but I think I have seen this stuff growing in swampy places along side the road in my area. I will take a picture on my way home from work tonight and post it here later.

1) Does MG grow wild?
2) Can I plant the seeds that grow at the top of this plant if it is a similar plant?

https://www.mapleriverfarms.com/

MG does not reproduce from seeds. Only from rhizomes or possibly cuttings. That is one of the things I like about it. It stays where you put it. Grows a few inches wider per year.

Ok so that would explain why the seedy looking stuff on the top didn’t grow where I planted it this spring. I doubt this is MG but in the same family and possibly serves the same purpose but it’s free for me lol
This stuff is about 15’ tall and it’s not swampy like I thought, this is next to a creek so this area is seasonably wet but not a swamp. Today was the first time I actually got out of my truck and stepped into it. Where my truck is parked it drops off about 2-3’ to the base of these plants.

3D8A15C0-10AF-41D4-9B84-E7DAAA2E5A25.jpeg
A378345C-311B-44A7-A663-898903B206CF.jpeg
7B29704E-1BC0-479E-A824-4118F287E3BE.jpeg
26818D0E-46DC-46C5-A72E-B3A78FDF9B94.jpeg

Ok so that would explain why the seedy looking stuff on the top didn’t grow where I planted it this spring. I doubt this is MG but in the same family and possibly serves the same purpose but it’s free for me lol
This stuff is about 15’ tall and it’s not swampy like I thought, this is next to a creek so this area is seasonably wet but not a swamp. Today was the first time I actually got out of my truck and stepped into it. Where my truck is parked it drops off about 2-3’ to the base of these plants.
I’m blanking on the name, but that stuff will spread spread spread. A biologist that came out to a job we were doing next a lake (to ensure we were planting native/non-invasives) had commented that stuff needs killed when you find it, because in a few years anything smaller in its path will be gone. I can attest, because we have it taking over an old sod waterway on our farm. It seems to want to stay in damp areas, but it will own the entire damp area and jump to the next one if it can!

Edit: little bit of searching, and I believe it’s Phragmites australis, aka Common Reed.

Last edited:
I’m blanking on the name, but that stuff will spread spread spread. A biologist that came out to a job we were doing next a lake (to ensure we were planting native/non-invasives) had commented that stuff needs killed when you find it, because in a few years anything smaller in its path will be gone. I can attest, because we have it taking over an old sod waterway on our farm. It seems to want to stay in damp areas, but it will own the entire damp area and jump to the next one if it can!

Edit: little bit of searching, and I believe it’s Phragmites australis, aka Common Reed.

It isn’t listed on our DEC’s list of invasive list, we only have:

Aquatic Plants

Didymo (rock snot)
Hydrilla
Starry stonewort
Water chestnut
Terrestrial Plants

Giant hogweed
Slender false brome
Wild parsnip

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/265.html#Terrestrial

It isn’t listed on our DEC’s list of invasive list, we only have:

Aquatic Plants

Didymo (rock snot)
Hydrilla
Starry stonewort
Water chestnut
Terrestrial Plants

Giant hogweed
Slender false brome
Wild parsnip

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/265.html#Terrestrial
It's really invasive we have what used to be cattail swamps that now have no cattails just phragmites.

The phragmites is a horrible invasive species. Don't plant it.

^^^^ What they all said, it will spread and choke everything else out.

Interesting find bud, thank you! I see this stuff in many places around my county so I assumed it was a native plant.

Odd that the DEC doesn't list it on their website, but they also don't list Knotweed which should have been a red flag for me on that list. Maybe not enough of an invasive to classify it that way? Technically, things like Sawtooth Oaks are an invasive. I am not sure this is the invasive reed by the description given as the leaves are alternate on the stem and the description to the invasive type are "Phragmites leaves are blue-green to yellow-green, up to 20 inches long and 1 to 1.5 inches wide at their widest point. They are arranged all along one side of a stem."

It does appear that there are multiple ways to treat an area infected with phragmites, a good hot fire or treating with Roundup works. The area I planted the seeds in, was an attempt to grow it hoping it would take over the Knotweed problem I have. I have so far lost my fight with Knotweed and I am trying a few things to see what works naturally. If phragmites could take over knotweed and either burn it or use Roundup on the phragmites after was my mindset.

Reactions: DJN