Sundance (Co-op 29)?

Apple Junkie

5 year old buck +
I am fickle when it comes to apples for wildlife. I have some favorites; IdaRed, Florina, Franklin, and Goldrush, but I always have my eye out for the next best variety to try out. I look for disease resistant varieties that produce good crops which drop from October through January. On paper, the Sundance (Co-op 29) looks like an ideal addition to my wildlife orchard. From what I can see it is a disease resistant, moderately vigorous tree, which produced good crops, ripening in mid-October. The tree holds its apples well after ripening. My best guess is that apples drop slowly from early October to well into January. I plan to plant two trees this spring, one a P.18 rootstock, the other on an B.118.

These will be fun to watch and keep records of its traits at my camp, but I’m curious if anyone has planted this variety, and if so, what your experience has been.

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/sundance.pdf

Planted one this past spring on B118 so too early to tell and also have scion wood coming that'll go on M111 this year. I planted for all the reasons you mention, basically seems like a Goldrush with the addition of CAR resistance.

It did not grow as vigorous as other varieties I planted from the same nursery, but that could be for a plethora of reasons.

Will follow with interest, it’s at the top of my wish list (along with Galarina and Black Oxford), but it’s not in the cards this year for several reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planted one this past spring on B118 so too early to tell and also have scion wood coming that'll go on M111 this year. I planted for all the reasons you mention, basically seems like a Goldrush with the addition of CAR resistance.

It did not grow as vigorous as other varieties I planted from the same nursery, but that could be for a plethora of reasons.

Good point Gunfun, I did not think of the CAR advantage. I know the Goldrush ripens really late in my growing season (early Nov). I get the impression the Sundance might safely ripen a week or two earlier (Oct 10 -17), but still drop as long as the Goldrush. Not a big deal, but fun to see if that holds true.

Will follow with interest, it’s at the top of my wish list (along with Galarina and Black Oxford), but it’s not in the cards this year for several reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll try to keep ya posted G2. I have two Galarinas planted in 2018, so there I should get a fairly good comparison between those two. My understanding is that the Sundance was developed quite close to you in West Lafayette, IN.

I planted one in my yard in the Spring of 2017, so it has been growing for 3 years. This is on MM111 and was belt buckle high when planted. As you can see, the vegetative growth has been incredible. Glad I didn't get close to the power line!

wE1MBGm.jpg

Sundance and Enterprise are good solid late apples with all around good DR. There are quite a few PRI Co-op apples that are worth trying if you are a grafter. You can look through them on the Purdue website (https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/default.html).

Below is a table I put together for myself to track which PRI releases I wanted to try or wanted to avoid. PRI bred scab resistant trees which is great but they might still be susceptible to CAR or FB. I'm not worried about CAR but I try to avoid the worst FB trees like Scarlett O'Hara. I have planted a bunch of the later PRI trees. My grafts should start producing apples in the next 2-3 years. I would add some more mid season varieties if I had room. PRI lists by ripening time vs Delicious with Goldrush being the latest ripening at 3.5 weeks after Delicious. There are also more PRI selections available from the USDA GRIN if you wanted to seek out varieties that were both scab and CAR resistant but didn't make the cut as a commercial apple.
1577462329907.png

I have one Galarina and several Sundance trees. According to my notes from the 2017 - 2018 winter, both varieties had many apples hanging on Jan 15. I did not get a chance to check them last year due to time constraints.

I planted one in my yard in the Spring of 2017, so it has been growing for 3 years. This is on MM111 and was belt buckle high when planted. As you can see, the vegetative growth has been incredible. Glad I didn't get close to the power line!

wE1MBGm.jpg

It’s that good soil and long growing season you have down your way Native. I’d be happy with anything even coming close to what you’re seeing. But, good to know this is not a wimpy tree.

Sundance and Enterprise are good solid late apples with all around good DR. There are quite a few PRI Co-op apples that are worth trying if you are a grafter. You can look through them on the Purdue website (https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/pri/default.html).

Below is a table I put together for myself to track which PRI releases I wanted to try or wanted to avoid. PRI bred scab resistant trees which is great but they might still be susceptible to CAR or FB. I'm not worried about CAR but I try to avoid the worst FB trees like Scarlett O'Hara. I have planted a bunch of the later PRI trees. My grafts should start producing apples in the next 2-3 years. I would add some more mid season varieties if I had room. PRI lists by ripening time vs Delicious with Goldrush being the latest ripening at 3.5 weeks after Delicious. There are also more PRI selections available from the USDA GRIN if you wanted to seek out varieties that were both scab and CAR resistant but didn't make the cut as a commercial apple.
View attachment 27416

Thanks for the heads up on that link to the PRI co-op apple data, Chicken. From the PRI link, I see the Starking Delicious they use as a benchmark ripens September 25 th. at their research station in Lafayette Indiana. Since I am in the same USDA zone (5b) , this is likely accurate for me as well. It also makes your list especially useful as a tool for narrowing down ideal late ripening apples (I snipped a copy). Thanks for sharing both the link, and your spreadsheet!

View attachment 27416

That's a great table.

AJ - We have 2 Sundance and 2 Galarina growing. Both doing well in N.C. Pa. mountains. Sundance had a couple apples on, but squirrels or crows got them. Hang/drop time still undocumented there at camp. No problems with either tree variety.

From research and pictures I've seen, Galarina is reported to hang into December/January. I have a 3rd Sundance coming this spring on P-18 to replace a rootstock that hasn't done anything.

Goldrush ripens in early to mid November at camp.

I'm bringing up this old thread, because my Sundance is loaded with beautiful fruit this year. I would like to hear any and all updates that anyone has on this variety as either a deer apple or eating apple.

33VYoH4.jpg

Mine are likely still to young to produce but I’ve got high hopes for this verity last two years growth has been most favorable compared to many other verity’s planted in the same orchard.

Glad you guys made this thread. I really like folks high regard to goldrush. But, I am rusty as it gets in my area. I got polka dotted mcintosh trees over here. Real hesitant to get anything with CAR issues.

Bonkers was something I'd like to have, thought it was co-op 35, but it's NY 35. Liberty red delicious cross.

Where are you getting P18? Read about it, never seen it for sale. Wondering if my old mcitosh trees are on that rootstock. 20ft tall trees.

I'm bringing up this old thread, because my Sundance is loaded with beautiful fruit this year. I would like to hear any and all updates that anyone has on this variety as either a deer apple or eating apple.

33VYoH4.jpg
My oldest sundance had a good crop last year. They need to fully tree ripen to have their best flavor, I have found a couple that were super ripe and had almost a pineapple (?) taste.

My oldest sundance had a good crop last year. They need to fully tree ripen to have their best flavor, I have found a couple that were super ripe and had almost a pineapple (?) taste.
That’s good info Mozark. When would they eventually fall off the tree for you?

I picked most of them towards late Oct, a few I left until early Nov. The ones I left on the tree had excellent taste...i ate them all. Sorry I can't help with the drop time, I will try to leave a few this year....

Where are you getting P18? Read about it, never seen it for sale.
Cummins Nursery right up there in N.Y. has P-18 rootstock. I got a Sundance from them on P-18.

I have a 6 year old young Sundance which should be producing this year. I dont need november apples. Probably will never ripen right here in zone 5.