Summer plot soil builder

Wow Brian that a great price. Curious on shipping costs but the seed has a great soil building quality and its reasonable. Ty for posting
AL seeds has a dealer list, may be one near you to save on shipping?

Albert Lea seeds sells this summer tonnage mix that is as cheap as a bag of peas and will provide much more biomass, IMO. I have not used it but others on this forum have, looks to be a good blend for soil building and even if you broadcast heavy at 75 lbs/acre you're still around $75 for the acre with more diversity.

I'm going to try drilling some this summer I think even though I'm not really in soil building mode, I'd like some biomass to nurse along my fall brassicas in a few areas.

This. Polycultures for biomass

They also have Diversimax which is 11 different varieties. I planted that last year and will be planting it again this year. Albert Lea seed has been great to work with.

For comparison. Green cover summer release at 47 pounds with shipping included is $124.00.

Gman do you have any pics of the diversimax in action. Brian is the dealer list in their website.

Yes, dealer locator is on the site.

For comparison. Green cover summer release at 47 pounds with shipping included is $124.00.

I have a 1 acre plot that I had in cereal rye last fall and because of poor soil and drought it did not do very good. I am wanting to plant a inexpensive soil builder this spring that I can crimp down after planting rye back into it this fall. Any ideas on an inexpensive crop that would work good for this? Would a spring planting of cereal rye be a good choice?
Thanks
For this application, you might consider Green Cover’s Warm Season Soil Builder. 30# per acre with a drill/seeder or 45# per acre broadcast. $43 bucks shipped for a 30# bag. Cheap and super convenient. I am still thinking about using this for all my summer plots this spring. I will do Summer Release from then on.

I planted this around the 4th of July last year (too late) but really liked it even in a drought year.

Here is what is in it: Non-GMO Soybeans, Black Beans Forage Soybeans, Mung Beans, Sunn Hemp, Sorghum Sudan, Pearl Millet, African Cabbage, Mustard, Sunflower, Buckwheat, Okra, Flax, Rapeseed

Warning, cringe worthy pics! With drought conditions last year, growth was poor. It was my second year planting a summer cover. I have sandy soil so I’m in desperate need of organic matter. This the best growth I got as it was a depression in a previous pasture. Surgham grew tall and i could see all the plants grew. You can see the sand on the right…and the dead grass from no rain also.

IMG_0688.jpeg

The bic below was a new plot we cut in the previous winter. Thats about two months of growth.

IMG_0689.jpeg

I didn’t fertilize as I was waiting for rain that didn’t come. We received only 3 inches of rain in June (3 weeks after planting) and less than an half inch in July.

Here is my take. I consider I started with the bar at 0, and trying to get to 100. This will be my third year with full planting seasons. I planted a summer cover the first year, then a fall crop. Fall crop was hit and miss, but that was a dry year as well. I figured I may have raised the bar a little, but was learning along the way. Picked up an old grain drill which is nice to have. Planted last spring with high hopes but no rain. Planted in the fall again with much better results but also still in drought conditions. Deer are still digging in my plots for turnips. I think if I went from 0 to 10 the first year, last year I went from 10 to 25. with a normal rain year and some fertilizer, I have once again high hopes for 2024.

There are a lot of great mixes out there. I’d go with more diversity which is why I did the Diversimax. Go with a reputable company and get it the cheapest you can. Shipping is the killer. I’m within driving distance of Albert Lea seed. If you planted two different quality mixes side by side, you would probably end up with the same results. Rain, fertilize, ground prep, planting technique are probably bigger factors.

Not great pics at all, but it’s the reality.

All great ideas. I like Buckwheat to build OM. It will grow almost anywhere. So will rye. Can't go wrong with either.

If you like supporting bees and turkeys, Buckwheat is the way to go. When your field is in flower, you will almost literally be able to hear it before you see it with all the bees you'll attract.

Local beekeepers will curse you, though. Buckwheat makes an “interesting” tasting honey, and makes a lot of it. Straight up ruins marketability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CC grows like a weed here. I mean 4-5 feet tall!
View attachment 61902

I’ll second the CC recommendation for the south.
Fannin County Texas, zone 8A
44225571fa7ac00ec172dc2b0a7b5cb5.jpg

db86e922a7bad720562870004ba9dfa6.jpg

You could hear this 2 acre field from 40 yards away.
The vetch and AWP did well too. My best plot to date. Waist high across the whole thing. It has held too much water, or been dry as a bone, every other year. The joys of black gumbo clay and poor drainage…
0b5cd0a28e312f9184b93b980b0065a4.jpg

b5318f5387948f9bdf432f10fa6ae87f.jpg

For this application, you might consider Green Cover’s Warm Season Soil Builder. 30# per acre with a drill/seeder or 45# per acre broadcast. $43 bucks shipped for a 30# bag. Cheap and super convenient. I am still thinking about using this for all my summer plots this spring. I will do Summer Release from then on.

I planted this around the 4th of July last year (too late) but really liked it even in a drought year.

Here is what is in it: Non-GMO Soybeans, Black Beans Forage Soybeans, Mung Beans, Sunn Hemp, Sorghum Sudan, Pearl Millet, African Cabbage, Mustard, Sunflower, Buckwheat, Okra, Flax, Rapeseed

Nice. I think I'll order a bag of that. Thanks for the tip.

Warning, cringe worthy pics! With drought conditions last year, growth was poor. It was my second year planting a summer cover. I have sandy soil so I’m in desperate need of organic matter. This the best growth I got as it was a depression in a previous pasture. Surgham grew tall and i could see all the plants grew. You can see the sand on the right…and the dead grass from no rain also.

View attachment 61941

The bic below was a new plot we cut in the previous winter. Thats about two months of growth.

View attachment 61942

I didn’t fertilize as I was waiting for rain that didn’t come. We received only 3 inches of rain in June (3 weeks after planting) and less than an half inch in July.

Here is my take. I consider I started with the bar at 0, and trying to get to 100. This will be my third year with full planting seasons. I planted a summer cover the first year, then a fall crop. Fall crop was hit and miss, but that was a dry year as well. I figured I may have raised the bar a little, but was learning along the way. Picked up an old grain drill which is nice to have. Planted last spring with high hopes but no rain. Planted in the fall again with much better results but also still in drought conditions. Deer are still digging in my plots for turnips. I think if I went from 0 to 10 the first year, last year I went from 10 to 25. with a normal rain year and some fertilizer, I have once again high hopes for 2024.

There are a lot of great mixes out there. I’d go with more diversity which is why I did the Diversimax. Go with a reputable company and get it the cheapest you can. Shipping is the killer. I’m within driving distance of Albert Lea seed. If you planted two different quality mixes side by side, you would probably end up with the same results. Rain, fertilize, ground prep, planting technique are probably bigger factors.

Not great pics at all, but it’s the reality.
Drought wiped out my summer plots as well, so that is something to consider when planting warm season blends to build the soil. I've never had a failure with the oat/pea mixture when planted in early spring though. The lower temps and better rainfall seems to make the early spring plantings more of a sure thing.

But realistically, there's no reason you couldn't plant the oats and peas in early spring and then plant your warm season summer blend in June or July.

I have a 1 acre plot that I had in cereal rye last fall and because of poor soil and drought it did not do very good. I am wanting to plant a inexpensive soil builder this spring that I can crimp down after planting rye back into it this fall. Any ideas on an inexpensive crop that would work good for this? Would a spring planting of cereal rye be a good choice?
Thanks
My $0.02 This will be inexpensive easy to plant and do just what you are looking for.

5#/acre Balansa Clover
2#/acre Tillage Radish

If there are bare spots weeds will fill it in and also condition your soil.

For southern folk no better summer plot than deer vetch (aeschynomene), Alyce clover, and Milo for summer. Can’t beat it.

With my heavy clay, and extremely hot/dry summers, 1 can't get aeschynomene to live through June.

I see them use sunn hemp when it’s small but not once it gets head high or more.
Yep. I agree, buddy! They love the sunhemp in our blends. I also love it as it’s a higher c:n legume which is a nice benefit- if the deer will let it get that high.

For you guys with the hot and dry climate why not plant a mix of sun hemp, chicory, and samfoin? They should all do well in those conditions and give plenty of benefit to the soil and deer.