Suburban doe massacre

chummer

5 year old buck +
I take back everything bad I said about my ML. I had a herd of about 7 move in behind my house this week. Busted them before I got out of my yard last night. Snuck out in the rain this morning. Got past 3 of them feeding in the neighbors yard 3 houses down. I curled around behind them and just as the script was written at first light they came right to me. I was sitting on the ground and the first one detected me at about 30 yards. It ran and I thought the game was over but it stopped broadside at 40 yards trying to figure out where I was. I could see the rest of the herd coming through the thick stuff but I figured I better take this one before the rest of them hit my scent line. One of them was a giant doe but this one isn't to shabby. With the rain, low light, and smoke from the shot, I wasn't sure of the shot (I always have doubt unless I see the deer go down). I went to where the deer was standing and it took about 2 steps to know it was a good shot. This is the first blood trail I have gotten out of 4-5 deer with my ML. It is also the first deer I have shot in my pajamas. Deer was gutted and dragged and I was eating breakfast by 830. Suburban hunting has its advantages!
IMG_0922.JPG R
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG

Last edited:
Gotta love a good blood trail!

For humor purposes ONLY I want to see the photos of you field dressing that deer in your PJs!

Nice job.

For humor purposes ONLY I want to see the photos of you field dressing that deer in your PJs!

Nice job.
I invited my wife out to document but I got the you are out of your F-ing mind look. It was 35 and raining pretty hard. For the record I did have a hunting suit on over the PJs, still counts though. Just got back from the butcher, this deer was #605 for the year. Talk about a tired but happy man. He has built quite the cash only business.

Healthy looking doe. Good photo of the blood trail. I wonder how color blind folks see the blood on the white background?

Congrats and I think your wife's reply would be like most spouses.

Congrats. If you were out in pajamas in that snow you are a tougher man than me.

Congrats. If you were out in pajamas in that snow you are a tougher man than me.
If it wasn't for the rain I could have been. It has been in the single digits lows all week so 35 felt like a heat wave. I was only planning on sitting for 1 hour.

Way to go Chummer. I'm all hunted out--don't know how you have the go power to stick to and in pajama no less!

Way to go Chummer. I'm all hunted out--don't know how you have the go power to stick to and in pajama no less!
I have not been out much since October. No buck tags left so I left them alone. I have had a lot of tracks in my yard and the dog has been going crazy so I knew they were close. I recently made a batch of jerky and remembered how great it is. A quick inventory of the freezer and I decided I needed some more roasts for jerky. I actually thought the season was closed til my dad said he was going out. I was planning on going out for a hour then go back to bed, thus the PJs.
How did you and Annie do this year.

Congrats on a great hunt!

I have not been out much since October. No buck tags left so I left them alone. I have had a lot of tracks in my yard and the dog has been going crazy so I knew they were close. I recently made a batch of jerky and remembered how great it is. A quick inventory of the freezer and I decided I needed some more roasts for jerky. I actually thought the season was closed til my dad said he was going out. I was planning on going out for a hour then go back to bed, thus the PJs.
How did you and Annie do this year.

Annie had got her muscles misaligned somehow when she stained the sun room floor. She was hurting so much she couldn't carry or even lift her gun. Finally the third chiropractor she visited the first week (himself an avid deer hunter) made some headway. So Poor Annie spent the season going to the chiropractor practically daily. She is now back to normal but going at everything just as hard as before.

Hunting wise it was a great season. Finished the season with the muzzle loading buck tag unfilled by choice. My hunting guests all passed on bucks so only one buck was shot at on this property that we know of.

I can't figure out how to post pictures here so will give you a link to my thread on the deer forum which has a picture you will like seeing. I see some people carry their threads in both places and maybe that's a smart option; it appears that the old forum population is mainly split between the two forums.
http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/recreating-a-deer-woods.1088/#post-27359

That is some deer Dave. Two years in a row for a northern giant off your property. Great job. Glad Annie is finally feeling better. One of those bucks won't be so glad next year. I think I am snowed out till spring but if you get a melting we will have to do another property tour. I think we are at 120" of snow already and that was a few days ago. I finally have a grasp on what I want the final plan to be at my place. I explored the neighborhood this year and I think I have enough isolation to really draw them in. I will be dropping A LOT of trees next year. For 70 acres I think it will hold and hunt more like a 200+ acre piece. I should be able to really use the ravines and hills to create extra space.

Thanks Chummer. It is very exciting to see the more mature deer hanging out here. I can't wait to see your final plan and also think that newer property of yours can hunt very large. And I am looking forward to a snow melt and a property tour also. Stay warm.

Great pics! I have never had the chance to kill one in the snow.