All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stump shredder project

I've thought about adding a coupling to the drawbar for down-force or even a cradle that goes back under the axle, but I'm going to see how it works without it first. I think with the right weight, leverage, and feed rate, this should be able to get away without that added complexity. I've watched a lot of stump grinding videos over the past couple months and most of them don't take more than 2" per pass. I can take 3", but I suspect my inner tier cutters will be lightly used.

2.25" bar stock for my pivot arm ends:

20150819_163048.jpg

Turned down to the 2.088" to fit in the tube, then flipped to turn down to 1.499" to fit in the bearings:

20150819_175321.jpg

20150819_181037.jpg

Since I'm using ERW tubing, there's a seam on the ID. I milled a V with a drill-mill to provide somewhere for that metal to go. I've tried die grinding them down, but never get good results; and it's a 2" depth so I just made the clearance needed in the plugs:

20150819_185926.jpg

Then drilled some holes for plug welds and beat the two ends in (friction fit):

20150819_193711.jpg

Time to watch Home Free, so welding the plugs will wait for later. :)

Got the pivot cylinder mostly situated, aside from some little details like finish welding the brackets and making keyed pins for it. If my numbers are right, I should have 50 degrees of swing for happy PTO shaft u-joints and minimal vibration.

Retracted:

20150820_032238-1.jpg

Extended:

20150820_032339-1.jpg

Then finish welded the swing arm (I only had it tacked up for range of motion testing):

20150820_034149-1.jpg

That's all for today. I'm beat.

Jim I envy your shop. What do you have for a mill & lathe?

I've got a 60's vintage Excello 602 mill, and a 1974 Voest DA-210 7.5hp tool room lathe with 60" bed. I converted both to run on VFD's about 5 years ago. I'll never own another rotary phase converter again.

I will agree with tooln, your shop is the bomb! I have seen actual full-time businesses that don't have as much or as nice of equipment as you have.

I have seen actual full-time businesses that don't have as much or as nice of equipment as you have.

You do know I'm self-employed, right?

Took 20 years to collect this stuff, and I'm too broke to fix my CNC turning center. :(

I know, but I'm more referring to businesses that have multiple employees and garbage or non-existent equipment compared to what you have in your sweet little one man show. You need to crank out a few more STD's(but I suppose you run them through the CNC as well:() and plug planting tools. ;):D

Plug tools need CNC too, or they're brutal for me to make since it's pretty much all compound turning and that kills my neck/hands. My talk with Bill at Itasca revealed their tools are very low volume (I'm not going to discuss specifics), and he's having trouble finding anyone willing to run so few at a shot. I have been thinking of how to effectively bring my tool to market, but investing in a run of points large enough to make them viable isn't in my budget right now. Amazon's fulfillment might actually work out as a saving grace rather than a necessary evil with STDs. I need to look into their large item standards for shipping/storage/long term storage, etc.

STD sales are down right now, but fall was good last year so I'm hoping that's the case this year. Even so, I'm harvesting trees to ensure my bills are paid this fall.

My dad instilled the value of good equipment in me. I figured whatever happened, I could always make money with my shop. I didn't plan on my neck crapping out and making using it so difficult. Raising my bridge crane cost me two broken toes. :oops:

Getting pretty close to starting on the business end of the swing arm.

20150821_071031-1.jpg

Pretty impressive work Jim. Amazing what you all tackle. Rube Goldburg would be impressed too.

Announcer: "In the next installment of Jim's Garage.....Jim has a toothache......so he is going to build an X-ray machine from old computer parts and do oral surgery on himself using a CNC router"

I've got the gearbox sitting in this right now, but don't have any short 3/4" bolts, so it's not really mocked up since the 10" long bolt holding it prevents the hub from being installed. :)

20150822_033032.jpg

I was thinking I'd hit the steel yard again this morning and then FF for some hardware, but I'm too tired. If I run out of channel for the wheel guard I'll hold out for Monday to finish it. I still need to mount the lift cylinder, make the clutch cover, and get the pins done, so it's not like I don't have other things to do yet.

Getting closer!

20150823_101608-1.jpg

Needs the end plate on the bottom tube, a couple gussets for good measure, then it's time to mount the lift cylinder. But it's currently dinner time for me and then I'm going to bed.

20150823_114908-1.jpg

Pretty darn close to functional:

20150824_091811-1.jpg

Swapped out the clevis ends for top link eyes on the lift cylinder:

20150824_103326-1.jpg

Finishing touches on some minor details, and she's ready to paint.

20150824_113657-1.jpg

Can't wait to see the video of this thing in action!

Jim aprox how many hours in the shop to build your stump shredder 2.0?

Considering I couldn't afford the excavator to put that thing on - it'd take me a loooooong time. ;)

I've hit the wall for today, which means I'm not going up North until after we go to the Fair on Thursday. Video's should be forthcoming by the weekend. I'm itching to put it into service, but I'm not going to burn the gas for a 24 hour stay only to then go right back up after doing the Fair.

Looks good Jim. Looking forward to the inaction videos.