Stump shredder project

We have a pulser on the syncrowave. it's crazy the things you can do with it. Our newest welder is over 10 years old, I'm sure the newer ones have a lot more technology in them. I do most mine free hand or rest a finger, arm or something on something. But there are times when you just can't do that & walking the cup is the only option. One of the most out of position welds I ever had to do was on a product line in a corner of a room. No room to get your head between the pipe and the wall. So from the ladder it was torch in one hand and a mirror in the other. I've had to do it a few times in my life but not something I really look forward to especially with 18 ga. tube/pipe.

Last edited:
I have been in that position as well tooln, I've even had to tape the mirror to a wall, ceiling, another pipe or have someone else hold it in order to deposit the filler wire properly in the joint. Some of the worst out-of-position welds for me were the out-of-position, overhead flux core welds inside a boat hull. You would think it would be easier with a MIG gun than a TIG torch, but when you are laying all your weight in the center of your back across a half bulkhead, welding an overhead seal pass with your arms fully extended, between the ship's deck to the side of the hull in a crevice that is to small for a conventional gas nozzle(required an extremely small tapered gas cone) and you know it will be inspected by an anal-retentive Coast Guard inspector, it can be a PIA to make that weld properly even with a wire feed gun.

^ You welders sure have a technical vocabulary. Geesh. ;)

Are you going to buy teeth to bolt on or are you making your own?

I got Greenteeth 700 teeth and pockets. They have the best reputation of anyone who's posted about tooth life and quality of cut, and their distributor is close to Cabela's in Rogers so it's not a major haul to get replacements if needed. The pockets are about $10ea so it doesn't make sense to make them. Making them wouldn't be hard or anything, but it's better to have serviceable replacement parts on high wear items.

I had to use a 1.25" telescopic mirror to do the O2 sensor bung on my atv (for the fuel controller). That was fun. Working backwards seems like it wouldn't be so hard, but it was tricky getting my brain to operate in reverse with relation to the joint. 4 years and no leaks. :)

I am withholding my comments on this project. I do not want to be a nay-sayer.....and I certainly don't want to say "I told you so" either. Still....I gotta be showed. Sincerely: Good luck Jim!

The chainfall hoist holding the top of my frame is being suspended on is hanging from a 2T bridge crane with 20x24' useful travel that I designed, built, and installed. I designed it for 4,000lbs, but it's moved 4750# more than a handful of times. ;)

Stump grinder's not all that difficult, just more moving parts.

Just curious, is it supported solely by anchor bolts in the floor or do you have the top of the jib column attached to the shop's rafters or wall somehow?

I've got 2 side braces across each 4x4x3/16" upright keeping it tied to the walls. Three are in corners. 2 24' runway beams, and a 20' center bridge beam. No jib, it's a bridge.

[QUOTE="wiscwhip, post: 67698, member:
All our welds that touch product(tooln knows what I'm talking about) were ground and polished to a #4 Dairy Finish, by other guys than the ones doing the welding. So the moral of the story is, you had better make a weld that you wouldn't mind grinding and polishing yourself if you are going to make someone else do that work for you or you will end up with some very, very p!$$ed-off co-workers!:eek:[/QUOTE]
Being in a plant vs a line I don't have the option of someone else doing the polishing. To get a 4A you learn fast how to lay a good bead.

I've got 2 side braces across each 4x4x3/16" upright keeping it tied to the walls. Three are in corners. 2 24' runway beams, and a 20' center bridge beam. No jib, it's a bridge.
Duh! I don't know how, but I missed the bridge crane part of your first comment and I guess I have seen many more jib cranes in home shops than actual bridge hoists, so I made that assumption.:oops:

Last edited:
[QUOTE="wiscwhip, post: 67698, member:
All our welds that touch product(tooln knows what I'm talking about) were ground and polished to a #4 Dairy Finish, by other guys than the ones doing the welding. So the moral of the story is, you had better make a weld that you wouldn't mind grinding and polishing yourself if you are going to make someone else do that work for you or you will end up with some very, very p!$$ed-off co-workers!:eek:
Being in a plant vs a line I don't have the option of someone else doing the polishing. To get a 4A you learn fast how to lay a good bead.[/QUOTE]
In that case, you have no one to p!$$-off but yourself,;) and yes you will learn how to lay a nice grindable bead when you are doing the polishing yourself. Here at the place where I work now, before I moved into the office, whenever they would get any stainless railings or other items that were polished, I would always get stuck doing that job. Myself and another co-worker who had worked at a SS shop over in the Fox Valley got stuck bright polishing the SS grab rail that went all the way around the deck of a 115' yacht. Sucked! Took us weeks. A 4A finish would have been cake compared to that ordeal.

I usually only grind welds when they get in the way. :D I got a little too tall of bead on the four seams aiming towards the SSQA pads, so those had to come down to flush.

Well, then there's also gun stuff - that all has to be ground or filed. I seem to have become the go-to guy for a buddy who does smithing on the side. When he wants stupid stuff like full seam welding of mag well flares he comes to me. :( I much prefer structural welding over cosmetic.

How long until this project is complete?

It'll be a while. ;) I'm not working on it again for the next week or so.

I usually only grind welds when they get in the way. :D I got a little too tall of bead on the four seams aiming towards the SSQA pads, so those had to come down to flush.

Well, then there's also gun stuff - that all has to be ground or filed. I seem to have become the go-to guy for a buddy who does smithing on the side. When he wants stupid stuff like full seam welding of mag well flares he comes to me. :( I much prefer structural welding over cosmetic.
Grinding sucks that for sure. You get good at something and soon your the go to guy for buddies, I know the feeling. Years ago we could do home projects at work. I made a crap load of stuff for my scooter all SS and polished to a mirror finish. The fab was nothing but the polishing really took some time. I made some stuff for a few guys & showed them how to and let them do the polishing most gave up and bought what they wanted after doing their first piece.

Grinding sucks that for sure. You get good at something and soon your the go to guy for buddies, I know the feeling. Years ago we could do home projects at work. I made a crap load of stuff for my scooter all SS and polished to a mirror finish. The fab was nothing but the polishing really took some time. I made some stuff for a few guys & showed them how to and let them do the polishing most gave up and bought what they wanted after doing their first piece.
That is what was so cool about having a whole crew of guys who specialized in polishing SS and couldn't weld a lick!;) We had "shop night" as well and every one of us were sporting SS 4" round tube bumpers, brush guards, and nerf bars on our pickups. Since we worked with the SS gripstrut for the walkways on the tops of the milk haulers, we would cut footholds in the tops of the 4" tube and insert a section of gripstrut for good footing when it got muddy, and we put drain holes directly underneath to prevent them filling with ice and snow. We welded them up for the polishers and they polished the ones we made for ourselves.

And now back to Jims stump grinder project. Sorry 4 getting side tracked.

Lol Like I said, it'll be a while before I get back to it.

I'm a shop rat, so this banter is expected. :D

And of the rest of us,J B WELD.I have a little AC/DC Miller welder that I have built a few things with,tree stands ,cultivator,disc but you guys have sent me back to kindergarten with your terminalogy.