Stock Market is the bottom in?

The market activity is making me nervous. Stock drops=buy the dip. Stock drops more=buy the dip. Do that a few times and you're out of money and the stock keeps dropping. Hoping for steady increases and no more of the volatile swings we've been seeing way too often lately. jmho
One of Buffet's long-time sayings / advice has been, "You have to move in when others are fearful, and fearful / move out when others are giddy." I guess he thought the markets have been giddy enough with new record highs several times lately, so he cashed out some of his shares. But he retained many of his long-term holdings, despite selling some of those shares. I've noticed that over the years, Buffet has sold shares in some companies, only to buy more shares back at a later date - when share prices were lower.

I'm wondering when to pull the trigger on a few things myself.

I pulled some back on Monday, and I'm not putting it back until we get some clarity on anything. Nothing has been resolved, and it's almost surprise season. I did place some puts to try to get more CVX and NVO, but what I sold off, I'm not investing back yet. That's gonna stay in cash.

All you need to know is if it was raised in an enclosed space eating grain and breathing in it's own manure dust, or walking around outside getting fresh air and getting some bugs, worms, scraps and clover in it's diet. You ever see chickens going after a watermelon rind? It's quite the sight. You could also get a bulk buy on @SwampCat 's surplus coon cadavers and feed those to the chickens. That would be some damn fine chicken.

If you wanna go the distance, find the pre-science chickens. Check this out starting at the 11:45 mark. Apparently this will take you back decades in terms of tasting great chicken. And Mike Rowe is always a good watch. You can also buy these chickens online, and they've actually got some on sale right now. I may order a few in just to try them. There's also a great book if you wanna re-connect the dots between nutrition and flavor in food.

https://www.dartagnan.com/heritage-...23-1.html?bcgid=heritage-green-circle-chicken

So my wife bought chicken breasts that cost a lot more and were skinny by comparison. I hope I butterflied them correctly. As mentioned I like to butterfly them, brine them, and grill on high heat. I didn't lead anyone. Asked her how they taste, and she said "it tastes like chicken." Just made me think of these posts.... otherwise I would've posted on the dinner thread.

20240809_185907.jpg20240809_202439.jpg

I don’t understand the chicken reference. I bought some on Monday, was hoping it was going to go down more, but shot back up….

When the market trends up again.

I won't get in at the absolute bottom, but hopefully shortly after. Similarly, I didn't sell my real estate until just after the peak of the market. I feel a lot more confident making big moves when I'm convinced the trend has reversed.
Keep us posted on when you push back in! I’m really interested in how others are “calling the bottom.”

if it gets down to 37k I’m all in!

Keep us posted on when you push back in! I’m really interested in how others are “calling the bottom.”

I don't mind telling you my thoughts on it, but for the love of God, do not take my thoughts as advice. I am definitely not batting 1000 on my market investments. I just look at the metrics, and I don't understand how prices could continue to go up.

I had a good look at some candlestick charts this evening. I can't make heads or tails of the weekly chart, so I'm going to wait at least a few weeks to see if a pattern emerges.

The daily chart makes me think it will be dropping the next few days.

That whole CRE problem that was a problem and then went away might be coming back. This is aside from the multi-trillion dollar unrealized loss these same banks are sitting on in their bond portfolios that are already pre-bailed out.

Probably nothing to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some Wendy's(WEN) today. Right around $17 per share and pays 5.98% dividend. See how it does.

That whole CRE problem that was a problem and then went away might be coming back. This is aside from the multi-trillion dollar unrealized loss these same banks are sitting on in their bond portfolios that are already pre-bailed out.

Probably nothing to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These motley fool guys are insufferable. Sorry not blaming you for bringing the info but Jesus I had to stop reading them. Everything was doom and gloom and so far they are rarely right. Of course eventually they will get something negative right and pound their chest and say see we told you but…in the meantime they have missed out on making a lot of money if they believe their own sky is falling reporting.

Those office CMBS delinquency are pretty high I just don’t know what real effect it will have on the economy at large it may have such a small effect we don’t even notice it on the consumer side of things. These number are rivaling post 2008 collapse numbers and the economy is on shaky ground but we haven’t seen the same sort of market collapse as we did post 2008 at least not yet we haven’t. Maybe it will never materialize as a major market correction idk my crystal ball is broken.

“At this point, the inflationary pressure that we saw build has really been dissipated significantly,” said Jim Baird, chief investment officer at Plante Moran Financial Advisors. “Inflation is almost a nonissue at this point. There’s this broad expectation that the worst is easily behind us.”

Over? Except for consumers who are forced to pay exorbitant prices for goods & services.

Or until the Gov't drops in another boatload of money into the economy.

“At this point, the inflationary pressure that we saw build has really been dissipated significantly,” said Jim Baird, chief investment officer at Plante Moran Financial Advisors. “Inflation is almost a nonissue at this point. There’s this broad expectation that the worst is easily behind us.”

Over? Except for consumers who are forced to pay exorbitant prices for goods & services.

Or until the Gov't drops in another boatload of money into the economy.
I take that as inflation is reaching the 2% target. It’s not like prices will fall, they just now will rise at a targeted rate…until they don’t. But due to the dual mandate of the fed, if they get a favorable cpi read tomorrow, they can focus on jobs and consider inflation at bay. I would venture to guess that would help the case to lower rates maybe 50 twice this year but what the hell do I know. I do know rates are too high given the inflation read and if they aren’t careful employment is going to be in danger.

I take that as inflation is reaching the 2% target. It’s not like prices will fall, they just now will rise at a targeted rate…until they don’t. But due to the dual mandate of the fed, if they get a favorable cpi read tomorrow, they can focus on jobs and consider inflation at bay. I would venture to guess that would help the case to lower rates maybe 50 twice this year but what the hell do I know. I do know rates are too high given the inflation read and if they aren’t careful employment is going to be in danger.
So much manipulation, what a scam...the whole damn thing.

I get what you are saying. Rates definitely need to come down.

Right now companies are having a difficult time with costs to produce products. Material costs have forced them to raise prices which are now at a point where consumers are not buying or looking for alternatives. The next logical step is to cut labor costs.

I don't know what the Fed will do regarding employment. Companies have already slowed hiring and started to lay off workers. The screw has also turned on employees being able to make excessive salary demands as employers have adjusted downward what they will pay.

People keep wondering why the economy looks so good. It's because the Gov't has pumped in so much money. Gov't is the cause of inflation when the money supply exceeds the markets ability to keep up with supply demands. When those stimulus checks start drying up, going to be interesting.

I get what you are saying. Rates definitely need to come down.

Right now companies are having a difficult time with costs to produce products. Material costs have forced them to raise prices which are now at a point where consumers are not buying or looking for alternatives. The next logical step is to cut labor costs.

I don't know what the Fed will do regarding employment. Companies have already slowed hiring and started to lay off workers. The screw has also turned on employees being able to make excessive salary demands as employers have adjusted downward what they will pay.

People keep wondering why the economy looks so good. It's because the Gov't has pumped in so much money. Gov't is the cause of inflation when the money supply exceeds the markets ability to keep up with supply demands. When those stimulus checks start drying up, going to be interesting.
The stimulus money is already gone, consumer debt is at an all time high, and interest rates are high. The economy is (barely) surviving on vibes and HELOCs, IMO.

The stimulus money is already gone, consumer debt is at an all time high, and interest rates are high. The economy is (barely) surviving on vibes and HELOCs, IMO.
We're getting close to hitting the brick wall financially and soooo many people are all going to smash into it at the same time. I've been shaking my head at the way the people are always on vacation and spending like every day will be more profitable than the last. Supposedly the majority of people don't have 5k to their name in case of emergency. Knowing that these same people are casting votes for the next president makes me extremely nervous for our future. jmho

We're getting close to hitting the brick wall financially and soooo many people are all going to smash into it at the same time. I've been shaking my head at the way the people are always on vacation and spending like every day will be more profitable than the last. Supposedly the majority of people don't have 5k to their name in case of emergency. Knowing that these same people are casting votes for the next president makes me extremely nervous for our future. jmho

Heard a talk yesterday where the speaker said that most people who received stimulus checks did not use it to pay down debt or save. Instead they used it to raise their lifestyle (electronics, clothes, jewelry, travel, expensive dinners, etc.). Now they are not receiving that money and want to maintain the save level of lifestyle, so on to maxing out credit cards, early 401k withdrawal, etc.