Stark -Franklins

My last order from Stark was very disappointing...not Franklin's just not satisfied with Stark anymore on the quality and how vigorous my last order of trees were.

I have been doing business with Stark for over 20 years and this was the most challenging season for securing my order of over 1200 trees. One change I have seen is they are shipping trees out using shredded newspaper to keep the root balls damp instead of using bark mulch. The shredded newspaper dries very quickly and moves about freely in the box while in transit exposing the roots to dry out. I see this as a cost saving measure that seriously compromises the condition of the trees once delivered. My trees received were one to two sizes smaller then what was ordered. Stark did a caliper price adjustment to my order. I also received at least 200 trees less then I had requested in June of 2017 on a pre-bud order for spring 2019. I could provide examples of one problem right after another with the challenges I faced this season. I have since brought this to the attention of upper management at Stark telling how badly the Marketing and Sales division has become and hopefully it will be corrected.

I wasn’t impressed with that shredded newspaper either. But it looks like my tree from Starks is doing OK. That was my first and maybe only order from them.

I am running out of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've marked the "Supreme" semi-dwarfs down to $19.99 (from $44.99), plus 10% off on orders over $50.

I have been doing business with Stark for over 20 years and this was the most challenging season for securing my order of over 1200 trees. One change I have seen is they are shipping trees out using shredded newspaper to keep the root balls damp instead of using bark mulch. The shredded newspaper dries very quickly and moves about freely in the box while in transit exposing the roots to dry out. I see this as a cost saving measure that seriously compromises the condition of the trees once delivered. My trees received were one to two sizes smaller then what was ordered. Stark did a caliper price adjustment to my order. I also received at least 200 trees less then I had requested in June of 2017 on a pre-bud order for spring 2019. I could provide examples of one problem right after another with the challenges I faced this season. I have since brought this to the attention of upper management at Stark telling how badly the Marketing and Sales division has become and hopefully it will be corrected.

I wasn’t impressed with that shredded newspaper either. But it looks like my tree from Starks is doing OK. That was my first and maybe only order from them.

I am running out of room.

I've ordered from Stark on three separate occasions, first two experiences were great trees are doing very well...this last time fall of 2017 I ordered a dozen fruit trees all supreme placed order mid summer. They came on time but were very small for supreme, I got them in the ground immediately and the following spring half of them were very slow to wake up. They grew very slow last year and I lost a couple, this year I've already lost a couple more of them..they just seem weak.

They are for the backyard grower getting a couple of dwarf trees at a premium. If you know the exact rootstock that you want, then stark bros isn’t for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The parent Franklin Cider tree is entering full bloom. This is 13 consecutive years the tree has had a heavy bloom. It is a great pollinator for my Honeycrisp which blooms at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_3458.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3459.JPG
    IMG_3459.JPG
    526.8 KB · Views: 48
The parent Franklin Cider tree is entering full bloom. This is 13 consecutive years the tree has had a heavy bloom. It is a great pollinator for my Honeycrisp which blooms at the same time.

Nice. The Franklins I bought from Cummins are doing great and the 4 grafts I did this winter seem to be doing well also. Waiting is the hardest part.

It’s nice to see that the Mama tree of my Franklin does not appear to be overly babied in a perfectly manicured orchard setting. As much as I enjoy my apple trees, lord knows, they are protected, but not overly pampered. Stark's problems aside, I’m confident my Franklin will prove to be as hearty and productive as it’s Mama.

They've marked the "Supreme" semi-dwarfs down to $19.99 (from $44.99), plus 10% off on orders over $50.

I picked up a "Supreme" semi-dwarf and was not impressed at all by the size of it. They were smaller in caliper than any of the other trees I have bought from them previously. Not anywhere close to the trees I purchased from Turkey Creek or Cummins either. I figured at the price though I think I paid 24.99, it was worth a shot. My only other issue was it came fully leafed out, thankfully planted at the house so I can baby. Mine also didn't come with a tag with the rootstock, I believe I saw someone posted on here about a Stark Tag with a B118, on it.

I picked up a "Supreme" semi-dwarf and was not impressed at all by the size of it. They were smaller in caliper than any of the other trees I have bought from them previously. Not anywhere close to the trees I purchased from Turkey Creek or Cummins either. I figured at the price though I think I paid 24.99, it was worth a shot. My only other issue was it came fully leafed out, thankfully planted at the house so I can baby. Mine also didn't come with a tag with the rootstock, I believe I saw someone posted on here about a Stark Tag with a B118, on it.

The original Franklin's that I got from Stark had no rootstalk listed on the tag. They were very good sized trees with pretty good rootballs and completely dormant. I potted them up and the grew about 6" or so of new growth and then all the green went limp and they died. I notified Stark and the sent "replacements". The replacements were much smaller but had better rootballs. They had a few tiny leaves just starting. The tag on these said B118 rootstock.

My guess is that the definition of "Supreme" is pretty flexible. I presume they are trying to get rid of the last of their trees for this year.

I'll let you know how these replacement trees do. I potted them up in rootmakers like the first, so they should get prime care this season. I plan to field plant them, if they survive, this fall.

FYI, I'm in zone 7A and Stark is not advertising these trees for my zone, so I can't complain. I may be zone pushing this far south. I have not heard of anyone with them in my zone yet. Guess I'm the guanine pig

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
These Franklins were planted on May 10th in 15 gallon grow bags and are growing nicely. Had to pinch flowers off to allow for better growth. Picture was taken two weeks ago and has started to branch out after inspection yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    632.5 KB · Views: 55
I splurged and ordered 3 potted Franklins from Stark. One of them was pretty roughed up, but in just one week all 3 trees were sporting new growth.

When are the Franklins ripe? Do they tend to hang or drop?

When are the Franklins ripe? Do they tend to hang or drop?
Here in Northwestern Vermont the Franklin ripens the last week of September to the first week of October.

Do they tend to hang on the tree or drop off? How easily do they drop if you shake the tree?

Do they tend to hang on the tree or drop off? How easily do they drop if you shake the tree?

The Franklin apples drop slowly from Oct to late January. It is the last tree on our 250 acre property to still have apples hanging during this period. When we harvested the parent tree the first week of October we placed tarps under the tree and harvest between 22 to 30 bushels every year. I have attached a link that will tell the story.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...E38821DE8D715A50BD21E38821DE8D715A5&FORM=VIRE

That's great. Thanks for the info.