Standing dead oak trees - worth it for firewood?

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
On the new farm, we have a number of old dead oak trees that have been dead for a number of years. I am assuming they were killed by cattle and most of the bark has fallen off. We burn some wood for a heat source so these are obviously appealing. I have heard from some that really dead and dry trees like this will burn up chains from being too dry. Does anyone have any experience with this?

1697137064183.png

I cut up a lot of live and dead trees including oaks like yours and I've never noticed any chain wear issues. Some of those trees look like they have been dead quite a while, but you'll quickly be able to tell whether the wood is hard and ready to burn or if it is soft and rotten. You have a lot of good firewood there.

I cut dead oaks down all the time for firewood without any issues. Sometimes the outer 1-2 inch of the tree maybe soft depending on how long they have been dead but it still burns.

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

Great firewood ! Hard to beat

I've cut tons of dead oak firewood over the past 45 years or so. As Birdog said above, the outer 1/2" to 1" may be softer, but I'll bet the inner wood is hard as a rock. I've cut lots of dead oak that the bark has fallen off, but the wood was solid - perfect firewood. White oak especially, deteriorates very slowly - that's why tall-masted, wooden ships used it as the main building material. Cut 'em up for firewood!!! If they were on my property - I'd already have 'em cut, split & stacked for winter.

Chain damage cutting dead oak?? Not really. I've cut full cords of dead oak with the same chain without having to sharpen it. Locust - tough on chains for sure. Enjoy your wood heat!!!

Funny thing about cutting and splitting firewood. Once you really get started you’ll wonder why you’re cutting it because you will be warmed up already !😜

Funny thing about cutting and splitting firewood. Once you really get started you’ll wonder why you’re cutting it because you will be warmed up already !😜
Yes cutting firewood warms you up twice

Yes cutting firewood warms you up twice

My dad always use to say when I was making his firewood, wood heats twice, when you make it and burn it.... I can still here him saying it.

Widow makers

"Dead Oaks"

My heart just skipped a beat!🤣

Dead oaks make great firewood and your at least one year ahead on seasoning maybe more.

I’ve got a couple dead pin oak I noticed last weekend on the farm I’ve have very very few mature oaks at all on. It hurt my soul to see them dead Idk if oak wilt got them or this drought did.

Looks dangerous. Be careful!

The inside might even still be good enough for furniture.

The inside might even still be good enough for furniture.

Those things are comfortable!! You wouldn't think so looking at them - but I was surprised when I sat in one.

I had a bunch of big dead oaks in my backyard. Big enough that it would have been a hassle for me to fell and buck them up as I have several smaller dead oaks on the property I use for heating firewood. They are great for firewood though. I’m having a small portion of my property logged and the logger is taking them for oak bolts so I’ll get a little money for them without me having to mess with them.