Soil Types

kabic

5 year old buck +
found this at http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/soils/ref/?cid=nrcs142p2_054253
nrcs142p2_050640.jpg

Very good info. I always refer to my soil as "sand".....but it's actually considered to be a fine silty loam..... so I guess I'm down there on the bottom right of the triangle somewhere. Almost no clay at all.

I saw a great article on how to tell with great pictures, but I can't fin it now......if I find it I will post it. It was about doing the "ball" and "ribbon" tests - eerrrrr! Heck it may have been in the latest QW for all I know.

I believe my soil of my main plotting area runs a little toward center bottom...sure seems like there is more clay in it than what description make you believe

254C2—Norden silt loam
Description of Norden
Farmland classification: Farmland of statewide importance

Typical profile
Ap - 0 to 8 inches: silt loam
Bt - 8 to 20 inches: silt loam
2Bt - 20 to 37 inches: fine sandy loam
2Cr - 37 to 60 inches: weathered bedrock

running into

1743F—Council-Elevasil-Norden complex
Description of Council
Farmland classification: Not prime farmland

Typical profile
Ap - 0 to 7 inches: loam
Bt1-Bt4 - 7 to 45 inches: loam
C - 45 to 60 inches: sandy loam

Description of Elevasil
Typical profile
Oe,A - 0 to 3 inches: sandy loam
Bt1, Bt2 - 3 to 27 inches: sandy loam
2BC - 27 to 31 inches: loamy sand
2C - 31 to 39 inches: sand
2Cr - 39 to 60 inches: weathered bedrock

Description of Norden
Typical profile
Oe,A - 0 to 3 inches: silt loam
Bt1, Bt2 - 3 to 20 inches: silt loam
2Bt3-2Bt5 - 20 to 37 inches: fine sandy loam
2Cr - 37 to 60 inches: weathered bedrock

Been awhile since I've seen that chart lol.

mines Westmoreland chanery silt-loam. it's classified as prime farmland by the SCS. all my soil test requires is adding N for brassicas. very fertile dirt !

I think I am about dead center in the clay loam.

I believe my soil of my main plotting area runs a little toward center bottom...sure seems like there is more clay in it than what description make you believe

Just keep in mind with a silt loam or loam, you could have as much as 30% clay in that soil, almost 1/3rd clay, and remember those numbers are for a typical pedon of that soil type, yours may be something a bit outside of "typical" and even though it is listed as that particular soil type, your area could potentially have slightly more clay content than what is considered normal for the "typical pedon" of that soil type.

One thing I do find a bit strange is that the Norden soil is considered Farmland of Statewide Importance, but the soil complex it is a part of is not, which leads me to believe that within that soil association, the fact that your bedrock is close to the surface is a limiting factor along with the Elevasil soil which has a higher percentage of sand.

Last edited:
Is the 4th dimension (or point out of / into the screen) percent rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I do find a bit strange is that the Norden soil is considered Farmland of Statewide Importance, but the soil complex it is a part of is not, which leads me to believe that within that soil association, the fact that your bedrock is close to the surface is a limiting factor along with the Elevasil soil which has a higher percentage of sand.
I think slope is a consideration there...the same soil type with less slope probably has a different identifier and could be of more importance. The plot is on top of a ridge and not too far away it really drops off which is the main area of that soil type.

Yup, that ^^^ would keep it from being considered "Prime" or "FoSI" due to propensity for erosion.