Soil Analysis

MA VT Flatlander

5 year old buck +
I sent out a soil sample to Bio Logic labs for my Pea and oat plot.
Phosphorus (p) 284 lb/acre very high
Potassium (k) optimum
Magnesium (mg) 422 lb/acre very high
Actual soil ph 5.6
Desired soil ph Wildlife plot 6.5
Fertilizer to Apply
Lime Nitrogen Phosphate Potash
3500 40 0 50

34-0-0 118 lb/ acre
0-0-60 83 lb/acre

My question is they say potassium is at optimum level so why add 83 lb/acre

Fertilizer recommendations are as much art as science. Especially with some of the BOB companies that don't as all the questions. Most soil tests don't even test for N. Fertilizer recommendations make a lot of assumptions and are generally based on the broad needs of the crop being planted. Unless your lab is asking questions like what was planted the previous year and yield, they can't even estimate banked N. They are also generally aimed at farmers trying to maximize a specific target yield for a crop.

As for your specific question. The levels of N,P, and K presented as levels against general crop requirements. So words like low, high, optimal, very high, etc. don't apply to the specific crop you specified. Legumes seem to respond in yield more to K. The K recommendation is likely directed at your specific crop.

Thakns,

Jack

My question is they say potassium is at optimum level so why add 83 lb/acre
Short version. Even though your K levels may be "optimum" at this time, whatever you plant is going to utilize that K likely dropping the K level to below optimum before the crop is finished growing unless you fertilize.