Soil Sample Results - VT Plots

Jer

Yearling... With promise
Here are my Soil Sample results from (2) plots that I have here in VT. I blacked out some of the personal info that is not needed. It is pretty interesting. There are 2 samples from my MG plot, which is MG1 and MG2.

MG1 (approximately 1/6 acre) is my first ever plot that I planted. Each year I have added triple 19 fertilizer (2) 50 lb bags and Lime (pelletized) one year at 500 lbs. Last year it was brassica (rape, radish, turnip and clover) This year I have left it all clover (red and mix of whites), and top dressed with 50 lbs of 0-20-20 sometime in June.

MG1.jpg

MG1 I was planning to put back into Brassicas next year, which is what's on the report for recommendations. Looks like the lime worked to raise the PH to 6.2. I am surprised to see the phosphorus and potassium somewhat low, since I added a 50 lb bag of 0-20-20 this year.

MG2 is the other side of this plot that is about 1/6 acre also. This is a brand new plot where I cut about 50 trees, ground stumps and tilled in in all leaf litter along with the wood chips, 400 lbs pelletized lime and 100 lbs of 19-19-19. This plot I planted turnip, rape, radish and red clover in mid July.
MG2 Page 001.jpg MG2 Page 002.jpg

I had thoughts of trying sugar beets in this half of the plot next year, so I had them give me recommendations for them. Phosphorus is somewhat low and the potassium is excessive. Interesting. I wonder how much the 400 lbs of pellestized lime had helped neutralize since July 15. Looks like I would need lots more for sugar beets.

My 2nd plot M_____1 is one that is also brand new this year. It's about .4 acres of old logging area. I planted around August 1st and we have had severe drought. I was super curious about this one as I wondered if it was soil or conditions? In this plot I sprayed, mowed, tilled and only added 100 lbs 19-19-19 just prior to planting. No lime. I have another thread on this one labeled "mostly failed plot VT". It came in very sparse with the turnip, rape and radish (no clover planted). I have since added 100 lbs of winter rye to fill in the bare spots.

Even without lime, the pH isn't all that bad is it? I thought it was going to be lower than 5.9. I had it also tested for sugar beets and brassicas out of curiosity. Please fire away with any comments or questions if I haven't given enough info. Interesting how this one is also high in potassium with just a 100 lbs of triple 19. Is it naturally high in our soil?

M_____1 Page 001.jpg M_____1 Page 002.jpg

In the plots where your magnesium is already on the high side, when you apply lime, make sure you are putting down calcitic lime, not dolometic, which has a high magnesium %.

Good call. I will do that, thank you. Does the pelletized lime come either way I wonder?

Good call. I will do that, thank you. Does the pelletized lime come either way I wonder?
All you can do is check the bag, but much of the pellet lime I see is the dolometic type. SuperCal 98 is a pelletized lime that is calcitic in origin and has a very low Magnesium content.

All you can do is check the bag, but much of the pellet lime I see is the dolometic type. SuperCal 98 is a pelletized lime that is calcitic in origin and has a very low Magnesium content.

Whip is spot on for the Lime rec! You can also look at water treatment plant lime. Ours has been coming in over the years very high in calcium and very low in Mag!

And its free!

Edit: And I am very impressed with your OM, Almost like peat ground!

Water treatment lime? It is free? Could you please elaborate.

Calcium Hydroxide, I think that is what it is call when added to hard water that cities all across america need to soften their water every year. Then it is dredged out of holding ponds and piled as cake lime, or calcium carbonate I believe, when it is no longer usable. Then anyone that lives close enough to a city that has to get rid of it, as it is now a bi product, can usually get it delivered free to their farm. or a small charge. I take mine during the summer and pile it, because that is when the company hired to remove it, needs it gone. Since there are few farm fields to spread it on, the contractor may have to haul it a long ways to a site to stock pile it for use if the fall. If they can haul it a short distance like to my farm, we usually get it free. If you dont want it or can't take it until fall, you usually get charged for it.