do you think my Brassica is ok?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
I planted my brassica (PPT, DER, GR) on august 6th. I had done some soil tests in late spring (to determine my lime needs so I could get lime in the ground ASAP). I used those results to also give me an idea of what fertilizer I would need. For brassica it stated I would need 60lbs Nitrogen, 50lbs phosphate, 50lbs potash, and 0 magnesium per acre. I spread and tilled in six 50lb bags of 18-18-18 on just shy of one acre of my food plot for brassica about 8 days before a rain which was when I broadcasted the brassica. This was on August 6th. I also like to throw some urea on after 2 weeks of growth (right before a rain), so I threw 2 50lb bags of 46-0-0 on that plot 3 weeks later (we did not have rain at the 2 week mark so had to wait 3 weeks). It was a good thing I did because some portions of the plot were starting to get a faint touch of yellow. 2 weeks ago my father and I went out to his plots (he plotted his same time I did mine). His had significant yellowing, I believe past the point of being saved (we threw more urea on his plots anyways). Well being nervous about my plots I decided to throw one more bag of 46-0-0 on the plot, about 10 days ago. Most the yellow areas have bounced back but there are still some small parts which look sub optimal. I would say 95% of the plot is green. I hope it all stays pretty green during most of our bow season (oct1st-November 15thish).

What rates did you use when planting the brassica?

I think that may be the problem. That rate seems heavy to me. In a plot that is all brassica (which I don't recommend) I'd want my total to be around 5 lbs/ac. I much prefer planting a mix that includes a legume and I like following a legume crop like soybeans or clover. I don't intentionally add any N to my fields and rely on legumes for that. If you are not tilling and have developed good nutrient cycling and don't over plant you can use less fertilizer and still get healthy crops.

My guess is that with a high plant density, they are taking both sunlight, nutrients, and water from neighboring plants. That is why you got a response to the N.

More is not always better when it comes to seeding rates. For PPT I like to keep the rate around 5 lbs/ac in a monoculture or better yet, 2 lbs/ac I na mix. GHR has a larger, less dense, seed so I might go 6 lbs/ac in a monoculture and 3 lbs/ac in a mix.

Thanks,

Jack

I think that may be the problem. That rate seems heavy to me. In a plot that is all brassica (which I don't recommend) I'd want my total to be around 5 lbs/ac. I much prefer planting a mix that includes a legume and I like following a legume crop like soybeans or clover. I don't intentionally add any N to my fields and rely on legumes for that. If you are not tilling and have developed good nutrient cycling and don't over plant you can use less fertilizer and still get healthy crops.

My guess is that with a high plant density, they are taking both sunlight, nutrients, and water from neighboring plants. That is why you got a response to the N.

More is not always better when it comes to seeding rates. For PPT I like to keep the rate around 5 lbs/ac in a monoculture or better yet, 2 lbs/ac I na mix. GHR has a larger, less dense, seed so I might go 6 lbs/ac in a monoculture and 3 lbs/ac in a mix.

Thanks,

Jack
I was thinking that as well but I purchased my mix from a respectable online seed company and they said that is what they recommend. I told them I wanted to plant 1 acre of brassica and I wanted PPT, DER, GHR and I wanted them in equal proportions (as in 1 third of the plants being each species). I was fully expecting to be around 5-6lbs for all the seeds combined weight but they said 10lbs, at 3.3lbs of each, would be fine and is what their "program" seed calculator gave as a result. I hope the plot does not choke out and die early. I don't mind stunted smaller plants but I don't want a completely yellow/brown field by the time hunting season rolls around.

Doesn't surprise me that someone selling seed would recommend rates on the higher side. I'm sure you will be fine for hunting season. Just something to consider for the future...

The seed supplier makes money from selling you more seed, just something to keep in mind.

Without pictures nobody can say whether you put down too much or not enough seed. Just because you put down 10 lbs/acre doesn't mean it's growing like a farm field would if planted at that rate.

Doesn't surprise me that someone selling seed would recommend rates on the higher side. I'm sure you will be fine for hunting season. Just something to consider for the future...
thanks for the info. I know you said you do not like monocultures and never plant brassica alone which sounds like a good piece of advice. This is my second year food plotting and still learning what my deer like but dang do they like brassica (even now). Last year they were hitting them hard in October (before a frost). They ate the bulbs in late November and December. That is the reason I planted them again. If you recommend planting them in a mix, what would you recommend in the mix and how do you go about planting them (rye I wouldn't plant until September 1st while brassica I like to plant around august 1st). So for example, if I wanted to do a mix of clover, oats/rye/WW, and brassica would I throw my brassica (2lbs per acre) on August 1st and then throw some clover and cereals down come September 1st? If so, how much of each per acre? Thanks!

I don't see any thing wrong with what you planted. Personally I go 5lbs on the radish. Brassica seed is only 2-3 dollars a pound, you really didn't waste any money. I always plant just brassica plots and they turn out great. It's not really a mono culture as there are 3 different thing you planted in there. I try not to plant the brassica in the same spots as the year before. In my experience they don't seem to turn out as good the second year so I rotate to something else and move the brassica. I have never mixed the brassica with oats, rye or clover. I think your planting time of August 1 is just about the right time.

Well just an update, parts of the plot are looking a little yellowish again so they are definitely over crowded. Hopefully the green ones will stay green into some of October!

It is what it is at this point, I'm thinking if you get a good soaker rain on it you will fine.