Single Gang Disc

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have one of these old pull behind, single gang discs? Can get one for cheap just wondering if they are even worth messing with. I do realize that transportation would not be as easy a 3 pt or one with wheels. I have a pretty small tractor so I cant pull a big 12' tandem.

I wouldn’t do it. I have used them before and my opinion is they are diesel fuel burners.

You will need to add weight and it still won’t cut well. You will make many passes on sod type ground or anything weedy.

I would personally look for a small 2 gang disc. It will cut much better and you won’t have to make as many passes. The deal you get now will get eaten up in fuel costs in a hurry.

Does anyone have one of these old pull behind, single gang discs? Can get one for cheap just wondering if they are even worth messing with. I do realize that transportation would not be as easy a 3 pt or one with wheels. I have a pretty small tractor so I cant pull a big 12' tandem.

Do you have rear hydraulics on your tractor? If so, I would suggest a tow behind double gang disc and you can use hydraulics to raise and lower it to get the tilling depth, and then seed coverage depth you want. If you are in an ag area there are many of these sitting. Watch the listings for the local auction companies in an ag area for farm equipment auctions. No till farming practices mean old discs should be cheap enough that you don’t have to jump on this single gang opportunity. All depends on your neighborhood.

I would love to find a 8' with hydraulics, because that is about all I could pull but they seem pretty rare around here. Only likely option is to pick up a 3pt model. Thanks

I would love to find a 8' with hydraulics, because that is about all I could pull but they seem pretty rare around here. Only likely option is to pick up a 3pt model. Thanks

Don’t know if Amish farm in your area but they are another good source of info on where to buy old tillage equipment and maybe one of their neighbors has a shop that could cut one down to 8’ for you. Good luck

well some food for thought, a single row gang disc, is not the best at working hard ground or anything with a bunch of material on top, BUT if the ground is pretty soft, and rock free, and better yet if it has slotted disc on it, they will work OK
but there are honestly better tools
your WAY better off with a plain jane drag disc that you can adjust angle on the cut better, add weight as needed
and they take a LOT less HP to move than a 3 point hitch of like size
I have pulled a 8 ft tow behind disc with a old model H tractor(about 16 hp) the tractor is HEAVY however almost 4,000 lbs and geared to do the work, something a LOT of newer tractors of larger HP don't have(weight that is) weight os your friend when pulling things in farming and so are gears to pull the weight of tractor and resistance of implement!
drag behind disc are also found all over and many times can be had dirt cheap, and there almost always fully rebuild able and easy to work on!
I have NO problem using them or saying there worth every penny at times(pending what you pay for them of course)
yes there more work to back up, and if traveling far is needed to get to where you keep tractor and imple,me nt as to where you plant, they are NOT the better tool for the job
but they do work and are great for smaller tractors/lower HP tractors, due to you again can adjust them a lot to make most work with what you got, and they can be had CHEAP
I have bought cleaned up and sold many over the yrs, and have bought many from the FREE side just come egt em to a couple 50-250 bucks at times and many worked AS IS
old farms tend to have them laying about there place, shoved into woods and out of the way, drive around old farm area's and I you can find several just getting rusty!
a simple stop and talk can get you them more times than not for again a few bucks,
might need a little welding or a few bolts, and or some disc's
run slotted up front , and they do eat!

I run 6 foot Land Pride with double gangs that are adjustable for conditions. I can set it quiet aggressive when I make the first pass cutting into sod. Then as the ground is worked up, the angles can be set to run straighter and finish the soil prep. I am very happy with this disc. It was not cheap when I bought it new, but you can find used ones on rare occasions.
Picking the right time to disc the soil is also an important consideration. It is much better to disc after the soil is softened up from rain than when it is hard as concrete from an extended drought.