All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I be concerned.

Skelly

5 year old buck +
I pruned my orchard today and came across a limb on my pear that looks discolored.overall the tree is doing great but this one limb looks like it may have some type of disease.

Should I go ahead and eliminate this entire branch.

Apologies that the photos aren’t great but hard to hold limb and camera at the same time

Thanks in advance 0141C0AA-1343-47FC-80E9-B59E80D32B65.jpegD346BE25-52FD-438B-91AF-F77BAE93495B.jpeg

Scratch the bark to see if it is green underneath and alive. If it's dead prune in back to a live bud.

I’ve got leaf nodes that are pushing above below and within the area.

Don't know what caused that. I'd take a wait and see approach but be prepared to remove it later unless someone chimes in with better insight.

I had some funny stuff on an apple tree last winter. It looked like something burrowed along under the bark and might have girdled the limb. I scratch a bit off and found the cambium was intact and green underneath. I left it go to see what would happen. The tree grew fine last summer and I still have no idea what it was.

I’ll give it a scratch and see.

It is a lower branch that needs to come off eventually. This is my one stubborn pear that won’t prune right. Ounce a limb starts it just takes off. So I wanted to keep it until I had some more lateral growth above it.