Should I be concerned.

Skelly

5 year old buck +
I pruned my orchard today and came across a limb on my pear that looks discolored.overall the tree is doing great but this one limb looks like it may have some type of disease.

Should I go ahead and eliminate this entire branch.

Apologies that the photos aren’t great but hard to hold limb and camera at the same time

Thanks in advance 0141C0AA-1343-47FC-80E9-B59E80D32B65.jpegD346BE25-52FD-438B-91AF-F77BAE93495B.jpeg

Scratch the bark to see if it is green underneath and alive. If it's dead prune in back to a live bud.

I’ve got leaf nodes that are pushing above below and within the area.

Don't know what caused that. I'd take a wait and see approach but be prepared to remove it later unless someone chimes in with better insight.

I had some funny stuff on an apple tree last winter. It looked like something burrowed along under the bark and might have girdled the limb. I scratch a bit off and found the cambium was intact and green underneath. I left it go to see what would happen. The tree grew fine last summer and I still have no idea what it was.

I’ll give it a scratch and see.

It is a lower branch that needs to come off eventually. This is my one stubborn pear that won’t prune right. Ounce a limb starts it just takes off. So I wanted to keep it until I had some more lateral growth above it.