New Tree Order Arrived - Should I be Concerned?

blueKYstream

5 year old buck +
I got an order of pear trees today. The roots were packed in what looked like hydrangea peddles. They still seemed somewhat moist even if all of them weren't covered. I put some wet newspaper around them. The pears had already leafed out. I was going to plant them Friday and Saturday, but it looks like rain. If it's not a washout I still will try. If I can't finish them then or perhaps Sunday depending on weather, I'll have to wait until the end of next week to plant them. Should I be concerned that they've leafed out or or storing them for a week in that method since they've broken dormancy?

Not sure how many trees you have but may consider planting them in a large pot all together. I am no expert but this is what I do when tree orders come in that I cannot plant right away.

I have 16 trees. I suppose I can try that. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early tomorrow and get a couple planted. I suppose if I can't go Friday, I will plant them up. Thanks!

I have 16 trees. I suppose I can try that. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early tomorrow and get a couple planted. I suppose if I can't go Friday, I will plant them up. Thanks!
Don’t forget to cage what you plant or all that hurry up will be wasted Cage or cover in some manner even over night

Don’t forget to cage what you plant or all that hurry up will be wasted Cage or cover in some manner even over night
Yeah, I've got some fencing and remesh as well as aluminum screen to protect them. I have a couple tubes as well if I can get them in the ground, I could put that on real quick then come back and cage it later.

Yeah, I've got some fencing and remesh as well as aluminum screen to protect them. I have a couple tubes as well if I can get them in the ground, I could put that on real quick then come back and cage it later.
Cage before an overnight for sure.

I got 4 planted today. The next couple days seem like they might be a washout. I might be able to get after it again Sunday. Would you pot them then leave them outside or in the basement?

Attachments

• 875B1692-79EE-440B-838E-69D6C9931C2C.jpeg
    875B1692-79EE-440B-838E-69D6C9931C2C.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 34
I got 4 planted today. The next couple days seem like they might be a washout. I might be able to get after it again Sunday. Would you pot them then leave them outside or in the basement?
Looks good man You got this. No need to be worried Way to go

There is not a thing wrong with planting trees in the rain. I had to do it last month. If you get a hard rain after you get them in the ground, you can skip watering them in.

I did it last year quite a bit. I'm fine with a mist or light rain, but if it's a downpour, it's miserable. Saturday is thunderstorms, so that's out for sure. Tomorrow is the only day I might have help so I'm going to try to get out there if it looks like we have a few hour window without rain.

If you look at that picture above, you'll see the 2nd tree has about a 12 foot wide hole. I dug up 8 boulders with a shovel before getting the tractor. The tractor still struggled getting some of those rocks out (a few you can see and a bucket full I dumped over the hill before taking that picture).

Well, the weatherman couldn't have been more wrong. Instead of an all-day rain, there was no rain during daylight yesterday (and only rain today, no thunderstorms). I used that window and my brother's help to get the remaining 13 planted (they included an extra unmarked pear) for a total of 17.

I actually found one pear I planted last year alive still! It did not have a single leaf last year, but somehow was still budding out. I thought it was a goner so I used the fence around as a food plot exclusion cage in the fall thru winter. Would you believe that there were two deer beds within 20 yards of this? Crazy luck I guess! I got excited maybe a few others I thought had died were in fact alive. That didn't turn out to be the case, but I was still happy one survived I didn't think would!

I forgot to take a picture of one of the spots I planted. The tubes you see are from chestnut and persimmon plantings last year.

Photo Mar 28, 7 12 53 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 29, 1 45 33 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 29, 6 45 06 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 28, 7 13 06 PM.jpg