All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seed rates

Nova

5 year old buck +
Doing some research so I can calibrate my planter. I don't use lbs/acre or even seeds per acre. Instead I like to use seed per foot. This way I can give the wheel of the planter 2 complete spins, count the seeds and divide by 2. I am finding that on 20" or less row spacing for beans you want to have 5-6 seeds per foot. Does this sound correct?

I am still researching the corn spacing, but that is looking like 2-3 seeds per foot.

image.gif

Sounds close depending on seed size. If you have ever seen eagle beans think of them as small because they are. After that I'm not an expert but for food plots that's ok. I plant heavy and shoot for 75-85 bs per acre. Again for farming that may be a waste or not enough but I get good plots.

Thanks for the chart Bill!! Considering this is a food plot, we have very high deer density, and about half of these plants will be browsed before they even get 3" tall, I think I will go heavy and plant 7-8 seeds per foot.

Funny you should mention eagle beans. I have a buddy who just became a dealer for eagle in our area. I bought 2 bags from him to try for the first time. I normally plant ag beans. I haven't even opened the bags yet, so I don't know how small they are.

I used thier managers mix two years in a row and it was small seed. It just stayed green to long for me to get rye started in Sept so I went to ag beans. I will say it took the summer browse like we had no deer. Had to be 4.5 feet tall.

Doing some research so I can calibrate my planter. I don't use lbs/acre or even seeds per acre. Instead I like to use seed per foot. This way I can give the wheel of the planter 2 complete spins, count the seeds and divide by 2. I am finding that on 20" or less row spacing for beans you want to have 5-6 seeds per foot. Does this sound correct?

I am still researching the corn spacing, but that is looking like 2-3 seeds per foot.

In general, you are finding the difference between a drill and planter. A drill has a controlled spill of seed and is generally less accurate than a planter. If you are planting row crops like beans and corn, you can benefit from the accuracy. Most of these crops are specified in seeds per foot for a given row spacing.

Great table !

Thanks,

Jack