Scions and Viruses

R.E. Gould

5 year old buck +
As scion exchange season approaches, I'm curious how concerned folks are about apple mosaic virus and other diseases. Given I have a bunch of 'frankentrees' with over 50 varieties on individual trees, it seems I don't have much to worry about at this point. I do think I'll graft in some more highly susceptible varieties like Jonathan and Golden Delicious to keep an eye on it though.

Apparently the impacts aren't too bad, but the ones that are highly susceptible like Jonathan and Golden Delicious can have 50% less production. That would be a disaster for a commercial grower, but for backyard and wildlife trees, doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Yikes… there so many ailments that can infect an apple tree, I lose track of them. Since I don’t spray, mine have to rely solely on their inherent resistances. I find this interesting though and I think I have seen evidence of this virus on leaves on my trees, Jonathan included. That said, I am a novice at spotting these things and an apple-hypochondriac. My grafting skills are still suspect, so I only expose my own scions to torture. As a result so I don't have any concerns, but this is all good info. and love that link too. Thanks.

We grow out all newly sourced scions for at least a couple of years before collecting scion wood from them to begin propagating commercially. We have had some varieties show symptoms within 2 seasons of growth. Not sure that is long enough for it to always become apparent, but short of genetic testing on scions I am not sure there is a fool proof method for diagnosing.