1st Attempt at Grafting

doublelunger

Yearling... With promise
After reading numerous posts from many of you who have grafted your own fruit trees I decided I wanted to give it a try this year too. I ordered 50, 1/4" Bud118 rootstock seedlings from Copenhaven farms located in Oregon. I explained to them that this was my first attempt at grafting trees and that I wanted to bench graft the trees using the whip & tongue method. I knew I wanted Bud118 rootstock because that is what most of my current apple trees are planted on and they're doing well. They were very helpful in telling me what size rootstock I should buy and gave me some helpful tips as well. Overall I had a great experience with Copenhaven farms, I would highly recommend them and I'm sure I'll be buying more rootstock from them again in the future. Some of my scion wood came from my backyard orchard (42 apple trees I've planted over the last 5 years) and then some varieties that I didn't already have came from the US GRIN program I learned about from you all on this forum.
On Saturday April 2nd, I bench grafted all 50 trees using the whip and tongue method. It took me 10 or so trees to get the hang of it but I got into a nice groove after a while and it ended up taking me just over 5 hours to graft the 50 trees. I kept them in my storage room in my basement where it's a constant 62 degrees for about 2 weeks. I then moved them to a north facing window where they'd get minimal sunlight but it was a few degrees warmer (67 degrees) for another week. Most of the buds began to pop at that point so I moved them to a south facing window in my house where they could get lots of sunlight but not have to compete with wind. I left them there until this past Saturday, May 7th when I decided to plant then in a 4'x12' raised box in my backyard. To date 48 of the 50 grafts have growth on the scion wood and of the two that appear to have failed grafts the one the rootstock has some good growth I'll continue to let grow and then I'll probably just t-bud to it this fall. The other rootstock appears to be dead, I planted it anyway hoping it will suddenly wake up and get some growth so I can t-bud to that as well this fall.

Here's a list of the varieties I grafted:

Dabinett-2
Hewes Virginia Crab-2
Bramley's Seedling-2
Golden Russet-2
Harlason-1
Chisel Jersey-2
Chestnut crab-2
Cox's Orange Pippin-2
Frostbite-2
Hudson's Golden Gem-2
Winesap-2
Keepsake-2
Whitney crab-2
Kerr-2
Golden Hornet-2
Co-op 31-2
Priscilla-2
Liberty-3
Florina-4
Gold Rush-4
Enterprise-4
Galarina-4

Attachments

• Grafts 4-2-16.jpg
    Grafts 4-2-16.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Grafts 4-19-16.jpg
    Grafts 4-19-16.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 18
  • Grafts 4-23-16.jpg
    Grafts 4-23-16.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Grafts1 5-9-16.jpg
    Grafts1 5-9-16.jpg
    997.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Grafts2 5-9-16.jpg
    Grafts2 5-9-16.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Grafts3 5-9-16.jpg
    Grafts3 5-9-16.jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Grafts4 5-9-16.jpg
    Grafts4 5-9-16.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 19
Looks great, and that is an excellent success rate!

Looks like you've got the touch DL. Congrats.

Probably more like beginners luck! Thank you to all who have posted helpful tips and suggestions on how to successfully graft trees, I'm sure they wouldn't have turned out nearly as well without all the info I've received from this site.

Great varieties. I am sure you will be happy in the future. I have most of them and hope to eat all of them this year lol

Fantastic man!

Easy to do once you get going. I field grafted a bunch of persimmons on Sunday using cleft or bark grafts. Quick youtube review of bark grafting and I was doing it like a pro.

When I originally grafted my trees this spring using the whip and tongue bench graft method I left 2 buds per scion wood. On about 90% of the successful grafts both buds took off and most of them are in the 6-12" length range now. What I did last night as I was watering the trees was on all the trees that both buds took off and had growth I pinched off the lower one so that only one will grow up forming my central leader. Was that the right thing to do? Did I do it to early, should I have waited longer before doing that to make sure the new growth didn't suddenly die? After I did it I started questioning myself if that was the right thing to do or not?

When I originally grafted my trees this spring using the whip and tongue bench graft method I left 2 buds per scion wood. On about 90% of the successful grafts both buds took off and most of them are in the 6-12" length range now. What I did last night as I was watering the trees was on all the trees that both buds took off and had growth I pinched off the lower one so that only one will grow up forming my central leader. Was that the right thing to do? Did I do it to early, should I have waited longer before doing that to make sure the new growth didn't suddenly die? After I did it I started questioning myself if that was the right thing to do or not?
Yes it's the right thing to do if you feel confident your grafts are strong. I have left mine go with 2 sometimes which give me my first lateral as sometimes it's hard to get a graft to branch

Yes it's the right thing to do if you feel confident your grafts are strong. I have left mine go with 2 sometimes which give me my first lateral as sometimes it's hard to get a graft to branch
I like the method of scoring the trunk above a bud to generate a lateral.. Maya taught me this one.