All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scion question

JERRED GRACEY

5 year old buck +
I have several different apple scions. And a few pear. My root stocks come early next week. I have more scions than root stock Some of the apple scions have began to bud. Or show signs of life. And some haven't. As far as the scions go. Should I use the ones that r showing life. Or the ones that are not

Last edited:
In my expirence I would rather the rootstock be "more awake" as it will push nutrients to the scion. If the scion are farther along they may be starving for nutrients from the rootstock lagging behind. So if given an option I'd choose the more dormant scion first. I'm sure others will chime in with better advice.

I agree with Roth. I have had much better success with more dormant scion then those with expanding buds.

This is a common point of discussion with grafters. I have had best luck with dormant roots and scionwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk