S.T.Fanatic's Land Tour

Back to The Valley:

Starting off with another observation. We have discussed the battle with pig weed on here recently. I was down to my "diversity" plot a month or two ago to spray some burdock that I didn't want to go to seed. I didn't have all that much spray with me so I concentrated on a couple smaller patches of it and left the individual plants. I killed the hell out of the patches that were growing and upon return yesterday take one guess what took the place of them? Pig weed. I'm not sure if there is some sort of connection between pig weed and glyphosate or if it is just the fact that the soil was no longer covered and the dormant seed took advantage of it.

We have rain in the forecast (raining as I type) so I planted my cereal mix. I put down 150# of awnless winter barley, aprox. 20# of Icicle winter peas on the western side of it that I had left over from last year, 50# of Austrian winter peas on the remaining portion of the plot, and aprox. 10# of sunflower. The plot is much less diverse this go around but hey that's the way she goes.

I seeded, crimped, and sprayed. 18K+ steps later my 2021 food plots are IN !! I am hoping for a thick mat of winter barley come spring to seed buckwheat into and just crimp with no spraying. Time will tell.

Spraying seems to be one of only two common denominators.

You sitting on a clay soil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spraying seems to be one of only two common denominators.

You sitting on a clay soil?

This particular plot sits on river bottom soil. Visually looks like sandy loam but because of my high CEC there could be a fair amount of clay in it as well.

I sprayed off a clover field with gly in July and spread brassicas. Lots of green on my trail cam but it doesn’t look like brassicas.
My fear is pigweed. It was probably already in the clover.
I should have used liberty but got cheap.

I sprayed off a clover field with gly in July and spread brassicas. Lots of green on my trail cam but it doesn’t look like brassicas.
My fear is pigweed. It was probably already in the clover.
I should have used liberty but got cheap.
Thankfully pigweed is easily controlled for me with a spraying of gly. That may change in the future.

We just got a nice shower. I'd guestimate 2-3/10ths but could have been a bit more. I think with my thatch layer protecting the soil that should be plenty to get my recent seeding to germinate.

We just got a nice shower. I'd guestimate 2-3/10ths but could have been a bit more. I think with my thatch layer protecting the soil that should be plenty to get my recent seeding to germinate.
I've got fresh rye straw that was recently mowed down. It also finally saw some rain today. That outta wash off the potassium and give the next crop a nice boost.

Yes you are lucky you can spray pigweed with gly,I started using enlist Real World beans so I can spray a generic liberty herbicide

Throw, crimp, spray radish into a weedy clover plot. Couldn’t ask for much better. I did end up seeding some winter barley and more radish into some bare spots and it has really filled in nice.
f1000a36ef879cfd610cc3deffae7e3a.jpg

Throw, crimp, spray radish into a weedy clover plot. Couldn’t ask for much better. I did end up seeding some winter barley and more radish into some bare spots and it has really filled in nice.
f1000a36ef879cfd610cc3deffae7e3a.jpg

Look good ... adapt, improvise, overcome!

On the right side of this strip of radishes is my winter barley and winter pea mix.
b51ebe154cb9fe9b4a039cd66643547a.jpg

that looks like a salad bar in the making.

Think my July brassicas are a bust. But I’m only looking at it though a trail cam.

That looks good and healthy.

Drought proofing for next summer in the making.

Drought proofing for next summer in the making.

I like it. I've got my whole system covered in winter wheat and winter rye this fall.

Great looking plot! Don't hear about too many plotters using Barley..

Great looking plot! Don't hear about too many plotters using Barley..

I like how short it is and how early it matures. Beats the hell out of walking through 5’ tall rye with an earth way spreader.

I like how short it is and how early it matures. Beats the hell out of walking through 5’ tall rye with an earth way spreader.

Did you get the organic awnless winter barley?

I was wondering about that, does it get much grazing in the fall?

I was wondering about that, does it get much grazing in the fall?

No idea. I should try caging it. Not sure I have the numbers to even notice.