S.T.Fanatic's Land Tour

59a04cf6f4a29baa152db83d8b006503.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 4th no less. That is fantastic!

Such a beautiful place in bluff country.

Seed sown and barley crimped.

June 4th no less. That is fantastic!

I’m guessing it’s at least a week behind what it should be.

Checked on my Valley plots last night. I didn’t take pictures of the crimped barley plot because it just wouldn’t look like much yet. I did get a good kill on the barley though. Some of the seed looks like it may be viable but for the most part the heads are dried up and did not fill with seed.

Here is a look at the mature awnless barley. I’m guessing on a normal year it would have matured a full week earlier.
80ae43e3932eae45b0780c1f9a806f09.jpg

The deer will be on this stuff soon And have all of the seed eaten by the time I want to plant my fall blend into it.

I am in the process of trying to find a decent price on a drop spreader or some plans to build one. It seems like I have an infestation of dandelion and from the recent posts on this site that is likely due to low calcium. That seems strange for this area. I’ll have to pull some samples and find out. I’m wondering if it wouldn’t work to mix my fall blends with the lime and spread it at the same time. Anyone ever try that?

And it appears that all of my pictures have disappeared. That’s nice.

When did you plant the barley? Is that carry over from last fall?

When did you plant the barley? Is that carry over from last fall?
It was winter barley planted August 22. IMO that is to early but I was playing the forecast.

I over seeded a corn plot today with a mix of radish, ptt, and Swedes. There are a few bare spots and the corn is growing rapidly so with plenty of rain in the forecast I needed to get the seed on the ground.

My spraying knocked everything out but I am getting a new flush of rrpw so hoping the brassicas can compete well with it. I didnt fertilize as it was beans for two straight years. Hoping the new seeding doesn’t use up to much of the N. Time will tell.

I haven't had much to add to this thread so for documentation purposes...

I sprayed my "diversity" plot that is down on the valley property in early to mid May. I used a tryclopyr and dicamba based herbicide. It knocked everything out for a good long time. In mid July I mowed off what had come back as it was starting to get tall. I chose not to spray and tilled the plot up August 10th. I planted 100# of Icicle winter peas (high rate because only 65% germ) and between 5-10# of sunflowers.

I came back the next day to top dress with 5+ pounds of berseem clover and about 2# of ptt, radish, and barkant turnips.

We did catch some rain but when I looked last night I did not notice that anything had germinated yet.

I was planning on overseeding with 50# of oats around labor day and 100# of rye a couple of weeks later. That is still going to happen but the timing will be determined by the growth rate of everything else that was planted.

I'm guessing that I should spread the oats no later than Sept. 15 and the rye no later that Oct. 1.

Time will tell.

You must be able to pick that barley up in Albert Lea?

Do you just broadcast the oats and rye? What kind of growth do you get planting the oats and rye that late? Some of my plots are turd sandwiches with the drought, so I'm already on plan B. Plan C involves broadcasting oats/rye later this month, but it sounds like you have luck planting them even later.

Do you just broadcast the oats and rye? What kind of growth do you get planting the oats and rye that late? Some of my plots are turd sandwiches with the drought, so I'm already on plan B. Plan C involves broadcasting oats/rye later this month, but it sounds like you have luck planting them even later.

I don’t want them getting over 5” tall. If I was to plant rye Labor Day weekend with my soil and adequate moisture it would be pushing 2’ tall by November.

I'm wondering if not packing has anything to do with my lac of germination. I didn't because there was rain in the forecast and i figured that would do it for me.

I retract my statements. Germination was better than expected. Everything is up and doing well

I don’t want them getting over 5” tall. If I was to plant rye Labor Day weekend with my soil and adequate moisture it would be pushing 2’ tall by November.

Considering that, I can be grateful for what happens up north in regards to taste preferences. There isn’t much that gets a nose turned up come November. I’ve been trying for years to get sorghums to grow on my place. Not easy if there is never and opening and it only rains 3 days a year, and all 3 are when you’re trying to do dirt work in July. When they did grow, I saw deer eat the entire stalk.