S.T.Fanatic's Land Tour

I got a good look at it through the scope. It wasn't broke off. I have heard of 2 people this past week that have found sheds while out hunting.
That's insane to think they might be shedding already. We still have rutting activity on our farm.

Bit of an update. I didn't get any pictures but there wasn't really much to show anyway.

Over the past couple of weeks I planted 100 wild plums and 100 ROD. Disked and planted a 1/2 acre bean plot on the top farm (renter has the entire side of the farm where the plot is planted into corn so not sure It'll put on pods this year)

The other plot that got planted was on our valley property. It's about 1/2 acre as well. For that plot I went with about 20# of soybeans and a pound or a little better of sugar beats. The beats are older seed so not planning on them getting overly thick by any means.

We have been dry all spring but this past week we got about 1.5" of rain. Couldn't have come at a better time.

Was down to The Valley property last night after work to check on my plots. Nothing really to see but I want to post pics to document results. Good or bad.

I’m not entirely sure on the planting date but I planted my buckwheat about two weeks ago. The first week was bone dry and the second week was wet with the third week being wet so far. I had a “issue” and wasn’t able to spray my buckwheat plot after I spread seed (Throw and roll technique).

The crimper killed the winter barley but there is plenty of other stuff in there that crimping won’t kill. I am hoping the buckwheat will out complete most of it. The plan is to go with cereals this fall to help with the weeds for next year. (Think nitrogen seeking crops).

Pics taken 6/28
e212a5036e02cd7c10c5b90a2ab82797.jpg

This is a pic of the bigger plot. It looks like nothing more than weeds but there is a lot of buckwheat in there that I hope comes on strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

772097def564ca37e6101cf3730901f9.jpg

This is a pic in the corner of the plot where there wasn’t much weed competition. Lots of young shoots coming up

fa5545de866074840a34be849d738fde.jpg

The homemade crimper leaned against a caged dolgo that was planted last year. It could actually be a chestnut crab I don’t really remember.

I need to haul the torch down there and modify the crimper a bit.

This other plot was planted back in mid May. It was a mix of approximately 20# soybeans and a half acre worth of old sugar beet seed. (The plot is about 1/2 acre and the seed was all broadcast)

Because of the sprayer issue I had the weeds got a bit out of control. You can see I got a pretty decent kill but the picture doesn’t show much yet. I’d like to get some urea on it soon.
f658710538d4792050045cc9baee4795.jpg

This picture doesn’t show much and the plot is sparse. Some would say it’s a failure I think it is perfect. This plot will be over seeded in about a month with PTT and by September it will be full and lush with beans, beets, and soybeans. I will also over seed it all in September with winter rye.

I’ll do an update to today’s post in about 2 weeks to document the progression.

Forecast is calling for rain this afternoon so I put out some AMS and Urea on my Beet N Beens plot. Fingers crossed that it doesn't miss us. The Beets are coming along nicely but the beans are getting hit fairly hard. Going to have to up the rate on the beans a bit in the future. And yes, I did just score some beet seed for next year.:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Did you have winter barley coming into spring?

I did but it was in a different plot. It wasn't the variety i ordered and it was really slow to wake up this spring but I do like Barley based off of the height at maturity.

I did but it was in a different plot. It wasn't the variety i ordered and it was really slow to wake up this spring but I do like Barley based off of the height at maturity.
Interesting. I haven't tried a winter variety yet. I'm not certain it'd survive up by me, and right now, I can't afford any gaps. I lost my spring barley planting to about 4" of rain and I was blessed with a grass invasion because of it. I'm going with willow creek wheat this fall in my new ground. The old ground will still get spring forage barley as soon as the snow is gone.

I checked with Albert Lea Seed Co. today. They do have the awnless winter barley that I like. They don’t have the Icicle winter peas yet but I’ll be checking back in a supple weeks to see if any have come in.

83585f50c5bd3e696aa7957008878f9a.jpg

Here is a picture of the 6 row I like on June 2nd 2019. Probably could have crimped this close to a week earlier.

That yellow flower from some bolting brassicas from last fall?

That yellow flower from some bolting brassicas from last fall?

Yes. Looks like a lot more than there really is however. The Barley heads have a yellow tint to them when pollination is taking place.
4b4310b0ae024f36f109d8026ba86939.jpg

If you really look close at the other picture you can pick out the bolting turnips.