Rope height for licking/scrape?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I put this up yesterday. Had some curious critters overnight but none committed to using it. Of course I have a couple that were only interested in where I touched the post, but overall I think they were in the right frame of mind. Do I have the rope too high? It didn't seem all that high when I hung it but looking at pics with deer in them it seems high. What says you guys? This is my first time to hang a rope, always used branches before.

Screenshot_20231016_071042_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231016_071057_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231016_071118_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231016_071132_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231016_071148_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231016_071319_Reveal.jpg

I usually hang mine lower, around 4 feet off the ground. Seems to work, another thing to consider is getting it further out from the post. That would give them 360 degree access to it. Not sure how much that’s a factor though. on mine, I get fawns, does, and bucks working them and leaving their scent.

Might be a bit high, usually 5'-6' is good. Having tail of rope at eye level is my target. They will want to lick, rubs their eye glands across it, and move antlers across if.

I was standing on the uphill side when I cut it. Didn't realize it was that high until pics started showing up of deer coming from downhill. I'll add an extension when I get a chance.

I would only lower it by about 4 or 5 inches at most. I think if they get too low they become less appealing for whatever reason.

i run mine below my chest, sometimes jsut above my waist. and im 6' 2" , people tend to think deer are much taller than they are for some reason, when you stand next to a live one one you realize how short they are.

Product Idea for someone. Super hot pre-infused (with our own secret sauce) doe in heat genuine Buck Rope. Reg. USPO. Endorsed by P.T. Barnum hisself. 6 footer $25. 12' $40. Bulk 50 foot roll / $100. If I was only a younger man......Grin.

If I could sell bullet comparators and OAL Guages....sure as hell these would be a piece of cake. lmao.

I've typically heard about belly high and that makes sense to me.

chest high, big (4-6ft) loose dirt circle below. Scent isnt needed. ropes are all the rage, but dont be surprised if vines, branches (Basswood is my fav though it varies by area) do better. I dont sell things, or have a youtube channel but have been making them all over the US since 2007. If it fails, it was the location you put it. making no sense. Also, dont be squimish with destroying other natural scrapes in the area. Id also suggest relocating your cam a bit as a nervous buck will be intimidated by that flash though your results are better than you're giving them credit for.

Deer are interested but yet to have one rub his face on it.
Screenshot_20231017_063536_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231017_063555_Reveal.jpg

Agree on removing natural scraps. I had one scrap on a larger opening leading to a food plot. Neighbors decided to fence sit with two stands 10 yards from the property lines, facing my property. Removed that scrap!

chest high, big (4-6ft) loose dirt circle below. Scent isnt needed. ropes are all the rage, but dont be surprised if vines, branches (Basswood is my fav though it varies by area) do better. I dont sell things, or have a youtube channel but have been making them all over the US since 2007. If it fails, it was the location you put it. making no sense. Also, dont be squimish with destroying other natural scrapes in the area. Id also suggest relocating your cam a bit as a nervous buck will be intimidated by that flash though your results are better than you're giving them credit for.

Thanks for the input! That cam has been there for a year or so. It sits on my driveway to catch coming and going's while I'm not there, and to see the wildlife that use my driveway. It's a constant flow of animals every night with coons, yotes, bobcats, and deer walking the drive. The cam sits at an intersection between the driveway and where my waterline trench came in at a 90 degree angle to it. I've maintained the waterline cut as a trail, that's where I hung the rope. Lots of critter traffic, but like said it may not be the best spot for a scrape. I'll eventually lower the rope to see if it makes a difference, if not then I'll just move the setup completely.

Pretty cool how curious they are, looks like its working pretty dang good even if a little high. Anything that'll get a buck to pause would be worth putting in a shooting lane.

Here are a couple more thoughts....a little deeper down the rabbit hole.

Loose soil is key. I use gly (kills by the roots) and even bring in bagged garden soil to dry clay, sandy, etc areas. One more- and one you wont here mentioned elsewhere- keep nothing but soil (no rocks, leaves, etc) as solids may hold urine identity where as in soil it just breaks down to ammonia.

Two more- I lied, but owe this forum a ton as i take a lot- put them in shady locations to not dry out and remain aromatic. Not to contradict the last- Make the soil bowl slighting concave to hold water for both moisture during dry times and the need to visit post rain.

The third ultra bonus- even while they vary in desired participation between states/locales- you will see mature deer freshen them more in the am OR pm, not both. Expect the entry coming from downwind to that as well, or monitoring via thermals.

Product Idea for someone. Super hot pre-infused (with our own secret sauce) doe in heat genuine Buck Rope. Reg. USPO. Endorsed by P.T. Barnum hisself. 6 footer $25. 12' $40. Bulk 50 foot roll / $100. If I was only a younger man......Grin.

If I could sell bullet comparators and OAL Guages....sure as hell these would be a piece of cake. lmao.
Just ran into a product someone makes for this. I guess if you can think it....someone is doing it.

Height is fine. Find a natural licking branch somewhere else and cut it. Then zip tie it to the rope.
I've had better luck with vines but rope has worked for me.

I wouldn't want it more than waist high. The little fawns love to rub on it and that's the start to year after year usage. Plus the bucks really like to get their face on it and rub up and down. This looks way to high for the deer to leave a lot of scent. I'd wire a stripped white oak branch to it, pee on it and call it a day 😊

More interest overnight but I have yet see a deer lick it or rub his face on it. Going to save a lot of the info from this thread and try some stuff once I get some daylight time.

Screenshot_20231018_070430_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231018_070237_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231018_053410_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231018_053435_Reveal.jpgScreenshot_20231018_070419_Reveal.jpg

More interest overnight but I have yet see a deer lick it or rub his face on it. Going to save a lot of the info from this thread and try some stuff once I get some daylight time.

From the pictures I cant tell if they could reach it with feet on the ground? Cool that it's getting so much attention though!